• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Got lucky with T1088s

goldtop0

Beautiful amps, a nice diversity, each amp allows the blues to show different aspects of what make are them so great.
Your amp guy speaks the truth. The MAGIC is in the Pulsonic cone.
My advice, is don't bother with a reconed speaker, like you said if that is the case just go modern. The prices for a reconed speaker are absurd.
The condition of my B024 is remarkable. I also have a pair of G12S from '72 with pulsonic cones. They don't get a lot of love but I like them, they are lighter in the
bass than a G12M and distort earlier.
The gentleman who made the famous Trainwreck amps, did some work with Celestion to try and replicate the old Pulsonic cones and his thoughts were that the
wood pulp used to make the cones had unusually long wood fibers and that was the key to the cone recipe. I think it is analogous to Gibson's use of old growth
Honduran mahogany for their famous Les Pauls. At least that's my thinking. Good Wood.

The science of these things comes down to the basis of good materials, craftsmanship and care doesn't it.........luckily Celestion still make an outstanding product(in my opinion).

Deus91

The science of these things comes down to the basis of good materials, craftsmanship and care doesn't it.........luckily Celestion still make an outstanding product(in my opinion).
Yes,sir. One of the touchstones of tone.:peace2

goldtop0

Have been playing my '74X today with one of the T1088s .........the amp just comes alive with these speakers.
Not that it's a quiet or dull combo in any way but the Normal non tremolo channel which has a darker tone, now, is vibrant, alive and crisp(with the volume at 2 and above) compared to the other speakers I've had in there over the years, and that includes my Blue which is about 6-8 years old.
Tried the Blue again in my PR 1x12 yesterday and it didn't cut it on the bottom end, funnily enough nor did the T1088............the 74 1772 however holds that bottom end so well, quite frankly I'm amazed at that, for a 12w speaker, it's outstanding.

Last edited: