• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

what humbucker model you would choose for a neck pickup for a telecaster?

DavidVillen

I have a Highway One Telecaster of 2007 and i'm thinking of installing a gibson humbucker pickup for the neck position, what do you think? ...
Classic 57, Burstbucker 2 or 1 ... ?¿

Thanks.

Elmore

I have Gibson mini-humbucker in the neck position of my Telecaster, and it works very well there.

Thundermtn

Go with a Seth Lover, my Dad had one routed into his Tele neck and it's the best clean tone I've ever heard from any guitar.

DavidVillen

Thanks, finally I decided to install a 4-way selector, the fourth position uses the two pickups in serial mode and gets an almost identical sound to a les paul humbucker.

toxpert

I would contact one or more of the pickup winders for advise. You want the humbucker output to balance with your existing pickup. They will know and can provide guidance for what works or does not.

sonar

I had a Burstbucker V in a Tele neck position for a cup of tea. Looked cool, but the tone was kind of dull and "meh."

That position on Tele's can be a tough nut to crack, regardless of pickup type.

Telechamp

I put a Duncan '59 in mine.

x6HlHEG.jpg

J T

Loller

Oh did someone mention that already?

The Tone you want.

DESERTRAT

I went with a Seth Lover in my G&L Tribute same as G&L does with the American made Blues Boys.

1ROiMxY5-yg1hRMXlipihbmPluBRp9hPTbJhnhU05I7njeQ6y4_ooXvZ3xNoDd35nTngNHijfOmuLCElELN5tzd_4spVsLHdr8PV2jRhlbABa4OwgpED3mZ3g3gfl_VgbBkkertWxZaaE1j1hVI9H_2ViWTnLc1f8B8bHEyVHB0dgpWn_flP0UNMbf-kgxbo6UgjsIdHcVXbjVl__pGznNlN250AerJrTC2B6n2vQ0iL1E11b8OZKoW6YUbstu34ErcqgxttA930pu7ODhZ_TRpfJxNzAewTLMkI3HH_LH0hLVpO39qOqoHQkdEbAa8F0Zl7i99KLDMaxYgdVtqJilZZLnfFc6jsH8QFXcHhQ93rikeIin8anur5O-6UtjGOX1gtXuCSHI27KsK8LWqain33r834LzQR6baHiNNmhdJy7imVJW1vMJnNRF8rgWotEOmcL_VMdEUtDTOrClpYQ0gz8iOU8OIN3xcX05Atn7eWrMnD7IFke264aXqwQnkdjylrshdDrqIBND760yYLbNLNvZSknAmIPtVqMzge_N5wX85QeqIuBaMGsNE_PrkNz8Oqw088RB95V7EnFtdPoExgzWebMtzrhHT8fs_r5pO2anz2mbd5gyGWB5M2-n8AKj6t77FpVH7vlJh1oIhEheVygo3z4g=w629-h640-no

Tarcisioo

As someone who is really curious and never bonded with the stock neck pickup on teles, how does the humbucker sounds? I always wanted to try but having to play a humbucker with 250k pots kept me away as I think they muffle the tone more than I want

Sol

Humbuckers with a lower output often balance well with the Tele bridge pup, I've fitted the S D Seth Lover with excellent results, but anything around 7.5 k is worth considering

agogetr

id put one of those wide range ones out of a tele custom in there, they are great.

Sol

id put one of those wide range ones out of a tele custom in there, they are great.
Such a good choice. The Fender Wide Range was designed to balance with the Tele bridge pickup in a guitar with 250 K pots.
The Duncan Seth Lover worked due to the high resonant peak and low dc resistance balancing in a similar but different way to the Fender Wide Range. I rate the Fender Wide Range as a natural compliment to a standard Tele bridge pickup. IMHO.

On a set neck thinline Tele inspired build we did the yr before last, we used a Duncan Hot Tele in the bridge matched with an alnico 4 PAF type in the neck. (a lovely balance).

Since that time the customer has replaced the paf for a Gretch Filter Tron.
After uploading to YouTube and Instagram I've loved listening to what a Filter Tron has done for the neck position tone of this thinline. The extra clarity and dynamics would appeal to many looking for an alternative to a paf style neck option

So I'm now sold on both Fender Wide Range and Gretch Filtertron's as a serious option for the neck position in any Tele style guitar, and hope this is of some use..

akstrat61

I wonder what the specs of Keef's and JB's are? JB has a CS Nocaster coming out and I think it with a Seymour Duncan in it of some spec?