• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

My $100 USA Fender Tele Pawnshop Score!!!!!

Texsunburst59

I was doing my normal rounds, when I noticed this on a guitar stand in front of the racks.

I saw the $100 price, but I thought for sure it was an MIM.

Couldn't believe they were asking $100 for it.

Took it to the counter and wanted to haggle because of the scratches and dents around the body.

They said it just came out and they wouldn't budge on the price. I asked for the case and they said it didn't come with one.

I said it should have one, and I wanted a case.

They looked but couldn't find one.

I told them they owed me one, and I be checking back later for one.

They were OK with that.

I haven't had a chance yet to put is through it's paces, but the neck feels great and it doesn't weight a ton.

I don't normally post a pic of the receipt, but I didn't want anyone to cal BS on me.

40703484883_32e31624c0_c.jpg

40703492363_e2f0de1fe4_z.jpg

46754153405_fc10aa2601_b.jpg

46945760034_5ac86f080f_b.jpg

32727165107_11f9c0eece_b.jpg

sonar

Highway One Tele. Nice!

I like the Blonde/Rosewood board look.

FYI, this model came standard with a gig bag. No hard case.

67blackcherry

Sorry....not following you around or anything...but did you haggle the price? Cause that would be wrong, as we both know... :laugh2:

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Sorry....not following you around or anything...but did you haggle the price? Cause that would be wrong, as we both know... :laugh2:

The receipt shows that he didn't, unless you think he haggled for the $0.01 lowering. :ganz

Texsunburst59

I know you're not following me around.

Guys like you and me get around to expand our horizons.

The haggling comment didn't go over very well because the guys probably
don't frequent the OTHER forum.

For you and me , it's an awesome inside joke. LOL

Texsunburst59

Why such a low price ? What is the story ?

It has EVERYTHING to do with the part of the country I live in.

It's unfortunate for the pawnshop, and VERY fortunate for me, that A LOT of the pawnshops don't put in the time to
research for find the true value of the instruments they take in pawn.

If the model and year of an instrument isn't right in front of them, they'll just take a guess what it might or could be.

It's these times when they make a huge mistake on the pricing of gear, that I swoop in and take it off their hands for pennies on the dollar.

Here are a few examples of guitars and basses I've score at different pawnshops around the area in the last 5 yrs.

$923 - '81 Martin 7-28 7/8 scale D-28 (very rare model worth about $ 3000+/- )
$286 - '05 Gibson LP Studio
$258 - '09 Taylor 210 E
$325 - '90 Fender Strat Plus
$150 - '96 MIJ Fender Jagstang
$120 - ' 87 USA Kramer Barreta
$204 - '94 Fender Jazz V Plus Bass
$400 - '78 Fender P-Bass
$993 - '89 Gibson LP Standard
$923 - '95 PRS Custom 24 10-Top
$1200 - '03 Tom Anderson Hollow T Drop Top HSH
$190 - '92 Hamer Chapparal Bass
$1340 - '15 Suhr Classic Pro SSH
$762 - '08 Gibson LP Standard Plus
$400 - '07 Fender '57RI AVRI Strat
$400 - '01 Gibson LP Jr.

Aloha_Ark

Gee, a Fender case (at retail) would cost more than the tele. A Suhr or a PRS showing up at a pawn shop could be stolen. Still, some pawnbrokers must be interested in moving merchandise once the hock period is over. However, that Tele took 7 years to sell. These are desperate times, and a keen eye can spot a lot of bargains. Does the OP carry around a plug in amp to check out the pups and playability?

Texsunburst59

Gee, a Fender case (at retail) would cost more than the tele. A Suhr or a PRS showing up at a pawn shop could be stolen. Still, some pawnbrokers must be interested in moving merchandise once the hock period is over. However, that Tele took 7 years to sell. These are desperate times, and a keen eye can spot a lot of bargains. Does the OP carry around a plug in amp to check out the pups and playability?

You're reading the pawnshop tag wrong.

The numbers your looking at are the month and day they lower the price.

You looking at the bottom price of 4/12, which is really 4/12/20

The Tele IF it was actually still there, which it wouldn't have, would have been for sale for $41 dollars this month.

I don't carry abound and amp, as I can usually find a decent amp in most pawnshops to audition the guitars.

The one think I DO carry with me at all times is a lot of cash.

I'm always ready with cash in hand, because I'm able to get the best deals when I can make it right at that moment I'm there.

El Gringo

It has EVERYTHING to do with the part of the country I live in.

It's unfortunate for the pawnshop, and VERY fortunate for me, that A LOT of the pawnshops don't put in the time to
research for find the true value of the instruments they take in pawn.

If the model and year of an instrument isn't right in front of them, they'll just take a guess what it might or could be.

It's these times when they make a huge mistake on the pricing of gear, that I swoop in and take it off their hands for pennies on the dollar.

Here are a few examples of guitars and basses I've score at different pawnshops around the area in the last 5 yrs.

$923 - '81 Martin 7-28 7/8 scale D-28 (very rare model worth about $ 3000+/- )
$286 - '05 Gibson LP Studio
$258 - '09 Taylor 210 E
$325 - '90 Fender Strat Plus
$150 - '96 MIJ Fender Jagstang
$120 - ' 87 USA Kramer Barreta
$204 - '94 Fender Jazz V Plus Bass
$400 - '78 Fender P-Bass
$993 - '89 Gibson LP Standard
$923 - '95 PRS Custom 24 10-Top
$1200 - '03 Tom Anderson Hollow T Drop Top HSH
$190 - '92 Hamer Chapparal Bass
$1340 - '15 Suhr Classic Pro SSH
$762 - '08 Gibson LP Standard Plus
$400 - '07 Fender '57RI AVRI Strat
$400 - '01 Gibson LP Jr.

I am very impressed at how shrewd you are and determined . I mean that sincerely at the prices for Gibson Les Paul's . Out of curiosity how was the condition of the Les Paul's ?

El Gringo

You're reading the pawnshop tag wrong.

The numbers your looking at are the month and day they lower the price.

You looking at the bottom price of 4/12, which is really 4/12/20

The Tele IF it was actually still there, which it wouldn't have, would have been for sale for $41 dollars this month.

I don't carry abound and amp, as I can usually find a decent amp in most pawnshops to audition the guitars.

The one think I DO carry with me at all times is a lot of cash.

I'm always ready with cash in hand, because I'm able to get the best deals when I can make it right at that moment I'm there.

I agree 100% that cash is king and gets it done . I have found when you whisper/tell them you have cash that gets there attention instantly .

Texsunburst59

I am very impressed at how shrewd you are and determined . I mean that sincerely at the prices for Gibson Les Paul's . Out of curiosity how was the condition of the Les Paul's ?

Thanks El Gringo.

Both LP's were in excellent shape.

They were both well taken care of, and both had the OHSC's.

I'm getting these prices mainly because they know I'm a serious buyer with cash on hand, and IF I say I'm going to buy, I don't back out.

I've been buying consistently from most of these pawnshops for 15+ years, and they know if they cut me great deals, I'll be buying from them again and again.

Aloha_Ark

I follow a youtube content maker named Guitologist. His specialty is dumpster diving, especially around one Guitar Center lot in Kentucky. I imagine this is cheaper than going to a pawnshop.

Whatever the source of guitars, how do you unload them and make money? Using ebay can be a fast way to get scammed by a buyer who demands a refund, and ships back the wrong item.

Brian Krashpad

I follow a youtube content maker named Guitologist. His specialty is dumpster diving, especially around one Guitar Center lot in Kentucky. I imagine this is cheaper than going to a pawnshop.

Whatever the source of guitars, how do you unload them and make money? Using ebay can be a fast way to get scammed by a buyer who demands a refund, and ships back the wrong item.

Craigslist, and facebook marketplace. No mailing, no refunds. Face to face transactions only.

Texsunburst59

I don't move a lot of guitars.

I move maybe 5-6 guitars every 2-3 yrs.

I unload guitars mainly when I find a guitar I really want to buy.

I mainly sell on FB Marketplace, and I NEVER EVER buy or sell online.

I refused to be scammed or get ripped off by anyone.