• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Dicky Betts Dan Toler Burst

Tweety

I know the guitar had a refin by Gibson, but I read in a couple of places that it had a headstock repair. Can anyone confirm either way? Thanks in advance for any info

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I know the guitar had a refin by Gibson, but I read in a couple of places that it had a headstock repair. Can anyone confirm either way? Thanks in advance for any info

Did you do a search here? I'm sure there are several threads about it. :salude

mistersnappy

Dickey had another Darkback with Grovers that was used in 1975-1976. W/O his input on this and definitive serial match, can't be 100% sure which guitar this is. Earliest photo I;ve seen of it with the color is about 1977-'78. Maybe a totally different one. Nevertheless, is a fantastic sounding example: heard it many times in the 1980s.

Last edited:

sws1

8_1810-04.jpg

mistersnappy

Hi sws1- Looking at the photos on Burst Serial, in your opinion, do you think this guitar ever had a Bigsby? The Goldtop Dickey used on Live at the Fillmore and all thru 1971 was an ex-Bigsby guitar, as seen in many photos. Also, do you think this was originally a Darkback? Looking at the photo of the cavity, the wood where the backplate would cover it is really light. Interested to get your take on it. I would guess that if this had had old Bigsby holes or other evidence and was refinned by Gibson, they would've done their best to "hide" that.

mistersnappy