The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Please help 2013 les paul std keep or return?

Hi everyone I have a question ,
    I recently bought a used 2013 gibson les paul standard in guitar center it isnt in the best shape it plays well and I like the color and its great but it does have a couple scratches and some damage looks like a small dent to the wood of the headstock face I will try to post pics I paid a total of $1700 for it and my question is did I pay too much? would most of you be ok with that damage or ding whatever its called for that price or should I return it before my return window closes ? Thanks

Les Paul Forum Member Pat Boyack's Avatar

Re: Please help 2013 les paul std keep or return?

Dings and scratches are cool. The guitar was played which means its proven. At least to me. Price wise, did you not research it before you bought?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Boyack View Post
    Dings and scratches are cool. The guitar was played which means its proven. At least to me. Price wise, did you not research it before you bought?
    I did research I like everything about it and it plays really well and I wouldn’t have bought it if The dings and scratches bothered me too much I guess In the back of my head I wonder
    would I be better off paying $2200 and getting a 2018 standard with no dings before my return period expires I hear good things about the 2018s also but I never played one thanks for reply btw

Les Paul Forum Member Pat Boyack's Avatar

I think you did great. Don't waste your time on second guessing. Play!!

Pat gave you great advice.

I think that's a very nice looking guitar, tobacco burst with a nice dark fretboard - Slash's go-to look. And I see it has Grover tuners on it, which is an excellent upgrade (a lot of famous Les Pauls have been upgraded with them as well, including Jimmy Page's #1).

And you get to avoid "pristine guitar syndrome" worrying constantly about getting that first bump, nick, or scratch. Believe me, it WILL eventually happen if you play a new one at gigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Triburst View Post
    Pat gave you great advice.

I think that's a very nice looking guitar, tobacco burst with a nice dark fretboard - Slash's go-to look. And I see it has Grover tuners on it, which is an excellent upgrade (a lot of famous Les Pauls have been upgraded with them as well, including Jimmy Page's #1).

And you get to avoid "pristine guitar syndrome" worrying constantly about getting that first bump, nick, or scratch. Believe me, it WILL eventually happen if you play a new one at gigs.

Thanks I really like the look myself and youre right nicks and scratches are unavoidable I know from experience lol I will keep it I havent tried much other les pauls but this one plays and feels great thanks for the comment

Les Paul Forum Member cincyguitar's Avatar

Thats a fine looking LP dude....you need to play it and put a couple more dings on it...

Quote Originally Posted by cincyguitar View Post
    Thats a fine looking LP dude....you need to play it and put a couple more dings on it...
    Will do sir, thanks

Les Paul Forum Member

Sticker shock will always make you question your purchase. You will feel that on every guitar you buy in your life that costs over $1000. Relax. Go for a walk.
    You said yourself it sounds and plays well.
    Besides: if you play it for a year and decide you want to own a $2200 Les Paul you can sell it at pretty much what you paid for it.

Congrats on your kick arse looking LP.

Les Paul Forum Member

This is simple. If it sounds good you keep it and if it sounds like a old partytractor you sell.

Dings are not cool But try find another one that sounds good... If this one sounds good you keep it!

Quote Originally Posted by Zentar View Post
    Sticker shock will always make you question your purchase. You will feel that on every guitar you buy in your life that costs over $1000. Relax. Go for a walk.
    You said yourself it sounds and plays well.
    Besides: if you play it for a year and decide you want to own a $2200 Les Paul you can sell it at pretty much what you paid for it.

Congrats on your kick arse looking LP.
    Thanks the ding is actually smaller than it looks on pic its hard to see unless you look for it I am enjoying the guitar more each day I actually would prefer this guitar over the 2018 because I dont really like the new color choices

Quote Originally Posted by c_wester View Post
    This is simple. If it sounds good you keep it and if it sounds like a old partytractor you sell.

Dings are not cool But try find another one that sounds good... If this one sounds good you keep it!
    It sounds great and plays like butter I will def keep it .thanks

If it plays and sounds great I'd keep it. I'd rather have your guitar than something spotless that doesn't sound or play as well.

Insert an ocean of sarcasm here:

Return it.

Its not perfect.

Return it.

Quote Originally Posted by Droog View Post
    If it plays and sounds great I'd keep it. I'd rather have your guitar than something spotless that doesn't sound or play as well.
    I agree 👍

[QUOTE=zacknorton;2833284]Insert an ocean of sarcasm here:

Return it.

Its not perfect.

Return it

(Sincerely now)

i hope it becomes a favorite and you make great music wIth it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zacknorton View Post
    (Sincerely now)

i hope it becomes a favorite and you make great music wIth it!!!

thanks its my favorite now

Nice!!!!!