The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

My 1963 LP/SG Custom got an MojoAxe VibroStop this weekend!

A big thanks to Dan for super-fast shipping across the pond to London, UK.

I was excited to install this to my killer, killer, KILLER '63 LP/SG Custom, and since it is the Easter weekend here, I thought I'd take the time to shoot a video of the whole process....and learn how to use iMovie at the same time!

The installation is a breeze. The block is very well made...everything lines up nice and tight, no slop, no excuses. This upgrade is worth it 100%.

The guitar is now rock-solid as far as tuning goes. It is louder, has more snap, which is probably the result of the greater break angle over the ABR1, and I owe it all to this amazing piece of kit.

To everyone with an early 60s Sideways Vibrola SG: Order one, right now.

Thank you Dan, for taking the time to develop this product!

Guitars: '56 Les Paul Custom, '63 SG/LP Custom, '61 Jazzmaster, '43 000-28, '15 ES-345,
    Amps: Matchless Lightning, Zvex Nano amp
    Pedals: Centaur, BJFE, Analogman, Zvex, Maxon, Way Huge

Les Paul Forum Member

Re: My 1963 LP/SG Custom got an MojoAxe VibroStop this weekend!

very cool ! ..Dan’s work is always impeccable

Quote Originally Posted by zhivago View Post

I was excited to install this to my killer, killer, KILLER '63 LP/SG Custom, and since it is the Easter weekend here, I thought I'd take the time to shoot a video of the whole process....and learn how to use iMovie at the same time!

The installation is a breeze. The block is very well made...everything lines up nice and tight, no slop, no excuses. This upgrade is worth it 100%.

The guitar is now rock-solid as far as tuning goes. It is louder, has more snap, which is probably the result of the greater break angle over the ABR1, and I owe it all to this amazing piece of kit.

I am glad you are happy with the modification but this not an "everyone" mod. I do love that 63 Custom that you own and I agree it is totally killer. However, I am someone with 61 standard with that sideways vibrato and I would never dream of messing with it. Why? because it is the most stable tailpiece of any guitar I own. I admit i don't use the vibrato unit much while playing but it always stays in tune no matter how much I bash on it. This is just my personal experience (n=1) so I think this recommendation should be applied to those units that really need it. Cheers!

Thanks! I am blown away by the VibroStop!
    Guitars: '56 Les Paul Custom, '63 SG/LP Custom, '61 Jazzmaster, '43 000-28, '15 ES-345,

I am so impressed by the amount of gold remaining on that vibrato and there is gold on parts that no one will see. You have better pictures now of that unit than those that appeared in your of the "Anatomy of the mysterious sideways vibrato" that showed a unit for thin-line guitars. The video again highlights the beauty of that 63 so one cannot have enough pictures of that guitar. Thanks for sharing that video.

crédit

That's a great job!!

Les Paul Forum Member

WOW, I am super impressed at your skill and nerve attempting and getting it done on a vintage 63 Gibson Les Paul/SG Bravo !!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    WOW, I am super impressed at your skill and nerve attempting and getting it done on a vintage 63 Gibson Les Paul/SG Bravo !!!!!!!!!!!
    Heheh...it was fairly easy overall, but yes, pointing a screwdriver at the top to remove a few of the screws was pretty nerve-wrecking!

Les Paul Forum Member

Heheh...it was fairly easy overall, but yes, pointing a screwdriver at the top to remove a few of the screws was pretty nerve-wrecking!
    I was nervous just watching the video . My track record is bad when I touch my guitars and that's why I learned to leave it to the trusted professional Luthier to do my work and the thing that sucks is that I am at the mercy of his busy schedule .In addition to his workshop he takes care of road warriors as well and he is one busy guy . The benefits are wonderful when I get the end results . Once again my most sincere compliments ! That Les Paul/ SG is so beautiful . May I ask if she has vintage PAF's ? or maybe early Patent Sticker pickups ?

Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    I was nervous just watching the video . My track record is bad when I touch my guitars and that's why I learned to leave it to the trusted professional Luthier to do my work and the thing that sucks is that I am at the mercy of his busy schedule .In addition to his workshop he takes care of road warriors as well and he is one busy guy . The benefits are wonderful when I get the end results . Once again my most sincere compliments ! That Les Paul/ SG is so beautiful . May I ask if she has vintage PAF's ? or maybe early Patent Sticker pickups ?
    I am in a similar waiting list position usually...but I sometimes feel brave and take over! Heheh!

She has three PAFs...probably one of the last ones to sport them...short magnet / gold etc

Hey John, thanks for putting together a great video!

Would you mind if I post that on my website or include a link to it on the installation sheet?

Quote Originally Posted by DANELECTRO View Post
    Hey John, thanks for putting together a great video!

Would you mind if I post that on my website or include a link to it on the installation sheet?

Hi Dan,

No problem at all, go right ahead!

Thank you again for a great part that made my SG even better!

John

Les Paul Forum Member bossaddict's Avatar

100% agree on the VibroStop. I can't think of another non-invasive mod that so positively transforms a guitar. I have one on my '61 LP/SG Standard and love what it does to it.