• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Is this a genuine les Paul from the photos

johnreardon

Looks ok to me, however, why not ask those who made the guitar. They will need to see pics including the serial no. Just grab the pics from the auction

toxpert

As noted in the auction description, it is a USA model ....not ‘re - issue’.
One upgrade that is visible is the use of Kluson style tuning machines.

PaulD

One upgrade that is visible is the use of Kluson style tuning machines.

The tuners appear to be Gibson Deluxe branded (Kluson style) which surely would have been standard fitment?

I believe the OP's concern was that it looks like it says "Made U.S" on the back of the headstock, I'm fairly sure it actually says "Made In U.S.A." as it should, it just doesn't show up very well on the photo.

Last edited:

sonar

Yes, Klusons were stock on 2004 Standards.

Just ask the seller if he can take another picture confirming the "Made in USA" stamp is intact. Occasionally the stamp isn't evenly pressed by Gibson, obscured by the gloss or maybe it's just the angle of the pic?

Everything else looks right for that era.

latestarter

You guys notice we're getting a lot of "is this real" questions presently? Why don't people do their own homework? It's not hard. Am I being a grumpy old man (probably, is the correct answer)?

PaulD

You guys notice we're getting a lot of "is this real" questions presently? Why don't people do their own homework? It's not hard. Am I being a grumpy old man (probably, is the correct answer)?

No it's a good point, I've noticed a few recently who join the forum, ask one question and are never heard from again (often don't even say thank you when someone takes the time to answer their question). Of course I'm probably being a grumpy old man too but there has to be some advantage to getting older and being able to be grumpy is one of the few I can think of!

sonar

Yeah, even the fake '58 scandal has resurfaced.

Unless it's an obvious Chibson I'm cool with it, and even then they're fun to laugh at. A Gibson Les Paul Standard is still a pretty significant purchase for most people.

latestarter

No it's a good point, I've noticed a few recently who join the forum, ask one question and are never heard from again (often don't even say thank you when someone takes the time to answer their question). Of course I'm probably being a grumpy old man too but there has to be some advantage to getting older and being able to be grumpy is one of the few I can think of!

I lol'd!

Yeah, a quick "thank you" is appropriate, especially when there's been no dinner and wine involved.

rick c

I think the reason that there is so much concern over real or not is that Chibsons and others are getting better; just watch the YouTube vids. I'm sure the Chibson manufacturers are doing the same which is why their guitars are getting better. There are people that buy "good" Chibsons then replace all the obvious crap with good stuff; pups, tuners, bridge and nut. It's no wonder that it's harder to tell what's real or not; they even fake serial numbers.

El Gringo

I think the reason that there is so much concern over real or not is that Chibsons and others are getting better; just watch the YouTube vids. I'm sure the Chibson manufacturers are doing the same which is why their guitars are getting better. There are people that buy "good" Chibsons then replace all the obvious crap with good stuff; pups, tuners, bridge and nut. It's no wonder that it's harder to tell what's real or not; they even fake serial numbers.
Maybe so , but as soon as you start playing one the differences will start to be noticeable . For instance I would bet that the guitar will not intonate properly or stay in tune . That would be a dead give away . They might have a real maple cap but what is the body wood made out of ? I seen one that had an alder body . Buyer beware and only be from a reputable store and when you buy new you get a factory warranty (which is important )