• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Traditional vs Reissue

KennyCatbox

Hi, Searching for my 1st LP. I've been plaaying everything from Standards to Trads to Reissues. I've been liking some Traditionals (2019 and 2014) and Reissues, but I'm not seeing any big differences between them, other than the considerable price difference. Both are solid, non-weight relieved. The Trads have the '50s neck,' but def not as chunky as the Reissues (especially the 58 and 57). Also, the 58s and 59s have some gorgeous tops, but at even bigger price tags. Both sound great. How are the Reissues going for double the price of the Traditionals?
Am I missing something? I'd love to hear any feedback from anyone who owns either or both the traditional and Reissue. Thanks.

toxpert

Traditional differs including but not limited to:
Multipiece mahogany back
Weight relieved body
Nashville bridge
Heavy tailpiece
Cast body Gibson tuning machines
Short pickup rings
Pickguard USA style
Body and neck binding used to be thicker and not vintage color
Electronics and pickups not same as Reissue

All the above said...lots of those items can be swapped out with after-market options.
I have a 2013 50s Traditional I bought as a alternative...and really like the playability and it’s voice.

sonar

First off, welcome!

Fwiw, this forum tends to be skewed toward a preference for Reissue's. People much more knowledgeable than me will (hopefully) chime in about tangible and intangible differences between the two models, but tread lightly. This topic can easily get argumentative and perceived as trolling. Some might just avoid the thread altogether.

Simple answer is go with the guitar that you like and economically makes sense. There's nothing wrong with a good Traditional and for some it's more than likely their LP for life. I've always been in the camp that a good guitar is a good guitar, regardless of price point and vintage.

One personal observation/opinion that I've developed is that the Gibson USA line appears to be geared more toward a "modern" rock tone and approach, where the Reissues are more identified with classic rock and British blues. That doesn't mean that the models are mutually exclusive and again, my opinion.

Over time, and playing a bunch of LP's, you might find the nuance and quality of a Reissue to be worth the price jump. Some Custom Shop LP's really are exceptional guitars. Or maybe not.

So go play a bunch of LP's and (funds permitting) buy the guitar you like the best.

KennyCatbox

Traditional differs including but not limited to:
Multipiece mahogany back
Weight relieved body
Nashville bridge
Heavy tailpiece
Cast body Gibson tuning machines
Short pickup rings
Pickguard USA style
Body and neck binding used to be thicker and not vintage color
Electronics and pickups not same as Reissue

All the above said...lots of those items can be swapped out with after-market options.
I have a 2013 50s Traditional I bought as a alternative...and really like the playability and it’s voice.

Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of customizing the Traditional, especially as my 1st LP. Can you point me in the direction of after market parts, especially lightweight bridge and tailpiece? Changing the wiring and other electronics really improves overall tone and performance too? Thanks again.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of customizing the Traditional, especially as my 1st LP. Can you point me in the direction of after market parts, especially lightweight bridge and tailpiece? Changing the wiring and other electronics really improves overall tone and performance too? Thanks again.

Here're two thread on the mods I did to my Traditional to make it more like a re-issue (or real thing)

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/...-my-Traditional!&highlight=nickel+traditional

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/...-Makeover-quot&highlight=makeover+traditional

KennyCatbox

So I found this 2010 Traditional. Looks and plays fantastic. Is it the real deal? Anyone see anything to question its authenticity? The serial numbers look slanted?Screenshot_20190416-012153_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20190416-012432_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20190415-193823_Chrome.jpg

deytookerjaabs

Trust your instincts. If you read around the internet enough there are so many variations of opinion that there will be no shortage of people saying your guitar model is no good whether it's a reissue, production guitar, replica, and others. Nice choice, if you buy used at a decent price the good news is that if you don't bond with it you can move it for hopefully a full return down the line.

Only good advice I can give is don't get too caught up in the bedroom impression of a guitar. Use it live for a while, get it set up well with experimenting if you're not initially satisfied, and try to really bond with it to see if you dig it for the long haul.

thunderkyss

Hi, Searching for my 1st LP. I've been plaaying everything from Standards to Trads to Reissues. I've been liking some Traditionals (2019 and 2014) and Reissues, but I'm not seeing any big differences between them, other than the considerable price difference. Both are solid, non-weight relieved. The Trads have the '50s neck,' but def not as chunky as the Reissues (especially the 58 and 57). Also, the 58s and 59s have some gorgeous tops, but at even bigger price tags. Both sound great. How are the Reissues going for double the price of the Traditionals?
Am I missing something? I'd love to hear any feedback from anyone who owns either or both the traditional and Reissue. Thanks.

They're the same thing, basically.

They both are aimed at people who want the "traditional" Les Paul. Where the traditional is mostly aesthetic, the Reissues take it to another level.

The traditional gives you the basic look, feel, & sound (with contemporary PAFs). The Reissue is a true lightweight solid piece of wood, period correct carve, aged plastics, etc...

I have both. I have a 2013 1958 reissue and a 2016 Traditional. I like both a lot. The Traditional is good enough. My guitar is all stock, sounds great, looks great and feels great. It’s got pure Les Paul DNA. I took the Traditional in on a trade for a very nice American Vintage Reissue strat I didn’t play. I was going to sell the Trad but I can’t bring myself to do it. It’s a fun guitar.

It really comes down to intangibles and value for dollars. I personally prefer the reissue. While the Trad is good enough, I can see visually the difference in the finish. You do need to have the guitars side by side to really notice a difference. The difference is there. The finish on the Trad is also excellent. I like the neck and rosewood on the reissue better. I like the custombuckers a bit more on the reissue. Regarding the things you can’t see but know about the build on the reissue, I like that too.

If you don’t care about things like hide glue and getting closer to historical build or If saving several hundred to a grand (or more) on like condition used guitars is important, the trad is a great choice. You’re not really losing much in tone or playability. For me, I’m willing to pay more for the reissue Custom shop guitar. The used market is the way to go.

brandtkronholm

They're the same thing, basically.

The Traditionals are very, very different than the Reissues.

Reissues: Long tenon

Traditionals: Short tenon

The long neck tenon is a big deal. Many players argue that the sonic qualities of the long neck tenon are vastly superior to that of the short tenon. I'm one of those players, but really, the point of finding a nice guitar to play is to find the one that speaks to you. In the end it doesn't matter. It's your sound and your guitar.

Wilko

The Traditionals are very, very different than the Reissues.

The long neck tenon is a big deal. Many players argue that the sonic qualities of the long neck tenon are vastly superior to that of the short tenon. I'm one of those players, but really, the point of finding a nice guitar to play is to find the one that speaks to you. In the end it doesn't matter. It's your sound and your guitar.

While mostly true, there have been changes to the short tenon that mae the difference far smaller.

Wilko

Interesting...what are the differences? Tell me more.

There were some threads about it and i'm not sure we got all the images--they are gone now from here and the gibson site.

Being all CNC now, that hand rounded old short "rocker tenon" is long gone and the joint fits a lot tighter with better contact all around. My 2012 rings like an historic. I've always been a total tenon snob. I've got plenty of experience with '68s, Norlins, historics, and even a 1956 conversion.

This was confirmed by a Gibson employee ass being what the current tenon looks like:

tenon_angle.jpg

Last edited:

toxpert

Over the years I learned quite a bit from reading Wilko’s posts. That started me on a successful search for a ‘68. My ‘68 is sooo much a better instrument than the ‘69 I had been playing for 30+ years. Reading Wilko’s review of his Traditional, I was intrigued when I saw a 2013 hanging on the used wall at GC.

I reached out for it, tuned it up and was amazed at the resonance, acoustic tone...and a 50s neck profile that really is (e.g., not a baseball bat). The 2013 came home with me. It performs right up there with my ‘68 GT and my ‘58 DC JR.

Nothing but good things for me to say about the Trad.

deytookerjaabs

Eh, I'm not a Tenon aficionado by any means and it's well known...but have to concur to @wilko's point with an example of my own. I bought this "ES 335 P90" and opened it up to see this:

DfFmuiUh.jpg

Look at the fit on that quartersawn maple neck, who needs glue??? It's crazy how tight the tolerances are on some modern mass produced stuff. I've seen old "golden era" ES's with big glue gaps or shims or different amounts of contact in the visible joint area etc....silly. The guitar was great, fantastic neck, I got a decent deal on it but I was shallow and returned it because it was advertised as a regular 335 w/mahogany neck. So, being more of a studio model the deal was no longer as great as I initially hoped. But, fantastic guitar and the MHS P90's smoked.

I know, I know, not a Les Paul, but I thought I'd add my two cents. Again, I'll reiterate...trust your instincts.

KennyCatbox

There were some threads about it and i'm not sure we got all the images--they are gone now from here and the gibson site.

Being all CNC now, that hand rounded old short "rocker tenon" is long gone and the joint fits a lot tighter with better contact all around. My 2012 rings like an historic. I've always been a total tenon snob. I've got plenty of experience with '68s, Norlins, historics, and even a 1956 conversion.

This was confirmed by a Gibson employee ass being what the current tenon looks like:

tenon_angle.jpg

Current 2019? Or what year would this have started?

deytookerjaabs

Current 2019? Or what year would this have started?

If that concerns you why not go for key-tenon standard which was supposedly even bigger/stonger than vintage:

LSnxVKuh.jpg

I think they were circa 07-09 or so but not sure. This one in the pic was an '08. They don't have a cult following yet but "logic" dictates they must possess superior resonance-y-ness properties to their short tenon brethren.