• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

HELP WITH INTONATION PLEASE

Megadethking851

So I finally completed my les Paul build. And I’m trying to tweak the neck in. It was buzzing a lot but I adjusted the truss rod now only the A string is buzzing on the 11th fret. And I can’t seem to get it out. And I don’t want to make it worse. What is the best thing to do in order to fix that. I’d really appreciate it if someone can help thank you.

latestarter

So I finally completed my les Paul build. And I’m trying to tweak the neck in. It was buzzing a lot but I adjusted the truss rod now only the A string is buzzing on the 11th fret. And I can’t seem to get it out. And I don’t want to make it worse. What is the best thing to do in order to fix that. I’d really appreciate it if someone can help thank you.

Have you checked the frets for high spots?

Megadethking851

I don’t have a fret ruler but I put a straight edge on it and it’s seems ok. What would be the best way to do that. And I appreciate your response/ help.

latestarter

I don’t have a fret ruler but I put a straight edge on it and it’s seems ok. What would be the best way to do that. And I appreciate your response/ help.
If it’s just buzzing on a single fret that points to a high one, usually. You’ll need to find a fret rocker tool so you can find the high one. YouTube has some vids on this. Good luck.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
you can learn how to use the strings as strait edge. No tools needed. Shine light perpendicular to neck and sight down the string. You see where the high one is. IMHO, best practice is to level the frets lightly, then crown and polish.

What was the intonation question?

rick c

You can use a credit card as a fret rocker; get an old one and cut one side down to use it for further up the neck.

Some question:

- Please define "build". What exactly have you done? Made your own guitar? Salvaged a beater?
- Why is this post asking about intonation? Buzzing strings is not intonation.
- How did you adjust the truss rod? A flat neck or with some relief? How much and where did you measure it?
- What gauge strings? Lighter gauges move more and are more prone to buzzing.
- A single string buzzing at the 11th fret does suggest something wrong with that specific fret height; the 11th fret is a weird place for any string to buzz.
- Check your A string saddle notch and nut depth too; maybe your A string is too low compared to the rest because one or both of these variables is wrong.