• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

There's A New Sheriff In Town, Boys!

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
And his name is Marcus King! I believe he is destined to be one of the all-time great southern guitarists. I saw him open for Tedeschi-Trucks last year, and was blown away! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYrrnEIuP-8y A great southern ballad, in the vein of "Simple Man" or "Soulshine". Solos, especially the outro is stunning!

Last edited:

renderit

Loved it! I will have to try to catch a show.

Wow!

Almanesque!

miczap

I'm seeing him perform on Wednesday which is suuper exciting. I think he and his band are absolutely fantastic.

buckaroo

Formerly Tweedguy
Great thread!

I have been a Marcus fan for a few years now. I have seen his live show five times since his first album came out. My uninformed understanding is the short story that he has a father and grandfather who were guitar players, some early life music education and then a bit of mentoring from Warren Haynes. Then association with Derek Trucks, and more recently the "handlers and associates" of Chris Stapleton, further guided his path to success. Co writing a bit with Dan Auerbach I am sure has hastened his rapid evolve as well. In the end though, it is his talent as a guitarist, singer and songwriter that makes him shine all on his own. TALENT is spades!

I suspect that, if he continues to avoid the weeds of distraction (excess drugs, alcohol, problematic people and jail), then he is well on the path towards soaring heights in the guitar world. And man can he sing! His playing and lyrics are already way beyond his very relative youth. His third album sounds a bit more "buttoned up" (in a very good way) than the somewhat more "jam like" (and also very good) first two albums. I suspect this third album will bode quite well at the market place.

This young man is very much on the rise! See him now while you might still catch him at some smaller venues...

Buck

Last edited:

SpencerD

Marcus is signed to Evil Teen records man,Warren Haynes label. The dude has been touring pretty much nonstop for a couple of years now.I'll be at a couple of shows in the very near future also.

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
He also plays in Chris Robinson's side project, "As The Crow Flies". I saw him open for Tedeschi-Trucks last summer, and was fortunate to see him again last November in a small club with about 250 people in attendance.

Don

A local radio station has "Homesick" on regular rotation. I like the song, but it didn't inspire me to look further into his music. This, on the other hand... Wow!