• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Celestion Blue alternative.

goldtop0

I've tried a few speakers over the years but still haven't found a good alnico alternative to the Blue.
Is there another one out there that equates to it's sound and performance?

ourmaninthenorth

I've tried a few speakers over the years but still haven't found a good alnico alternative to the Blue.
Is there another one out there that equates to it's sound and performance?

The Tayden Ace 25 - made in the UK, is the one that always gets a mention in this discussion....very well thought of this side of the water.

A quick google search to give you a direct link to them has come up snake eyes. They've been at every show I've attended in the last 10 years, maybe they've hit some problems? I just don't know.

Here's a few sound clips from an amp makers site - hope they're of some use...unlike the rest of this bloody post...:laugh2:

https://jpfamps.com/jpf-guitar-amp-products/jpf-guitar-amp-tayden-speakers/

thin sissy

I have a VOX with a Blue, and I also think it's pretty much perfect. I also have a Weber Silver Bell that I really love, a different falvour but still great, but I don't know the general opinion of the Webers?

sonar

Nothing I've encountered from the main players.

If you find an alternative let me know.

goldtop0

Thanks fellas, the Blue is pretty much a unique beastie with a great heritage that's hard to match, even the Gold it's bigger brother sounds different which surprised me.

TM1

The Alnico Blue is pretty much King! although it doesn't have enough power handling for my Marshall Astoria Custom. I bought a Alnico cream but found it fairly dark. I couldn't wait to get an Alnico Ruby so I bought a Fane Ascension A60 and it has the brightness and clarity like the Blue Celestion but handles 60 watts! I'm still "road testing" it, but so far it sounds better everytime.
I'd like to find a Ruby just to hear how it stacks up..

goldtop0

The Alnico Blue is pretty much King! although it doesn't have enough power handling for my Marshall Astoria Custom. I bought a Alnico cream but found it fairly dark. I couldn't wait to get an Alnico Ruby so I bought a Fane Ascension A60 and it has the brightness and clarity like the Blue Celestion but handles 60 watts! I'm still "road testing" it, but so far it sounds better everytime.

Would you try the dope removal process on the Cream Don?

latestarter

I'm using a Cream in a 1974CX cab. Currently I have a Bogner Mojado running into it. It's a remarkable speaker. I don't find it dark but I do find it "full range" and maybe less "chime". But the clarity is scary! Of course with a low powered amp it is not working hard but it misses nothing in terms of papery subtle sounds. I'll be keeping it.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
I love the Blue. I’ve got them in my Thomas organ Vox, Hiwatt 20 tube, Princeton Reverb, etc. I have a 25 watt Greenback that, believe it or not, gets a similar brightness and awesome touch sensitivity. It’s currently in my GDS. 18 watt.

TM1

Would you try the dope removal process on the Cream Don?
Yes, as I feel it will open it up. Don’ Be in a rush, but get a cheap paint brush and a bowl that won’t Melt (like a metal dog bowl) to pour the lacquer thinner or acetone in and a rag to wipe it off.

goldtop0

Yes, as I feel it will open it up. Don’ Be in a rush, but get a cheap paint brush and a bowl that won’t Melt (like a metal dog bowl) to pour the lacquer thinner or acetone in and a rag to wipe it off.

Like when I was aging my nickel pup covers a little bit with spirits of salt.

TM1

IMHO , you can't beat the Celestion Vintage 30's speaker

But it's a Ceramic magnet... Sounds nothing like a Blue.
I finally got a Celestion Alnico Ruby yesterday!! It's the closest in Tone to the Blue! It's a 35 watt speaker!

goldtop0

I finally got a Celestion Alnico Ruby yesterday!! It's the closest in Tone to the Blue! It's a 35 watt speaker!

Good to know Don and I see a little doping on the cone of that one also.

latestarter

Thanks for the update - good news. Not for the wallet though.

Sol

I'd love to have your evaluation of this speaker once you've had some time to familiarise yourself with its tone and response as it breaks in, would you mind updating us on your experience??

TM1

I'd love to have your evaluation of this speaker once you've had some time to familiarise yourself with its tone and response as it breaks in, would you mind updating us on your experience??
I've been using the Ruby for a few months now. It took a good 4-5 weeks of being played through to open up and sound great! I was surprized at how long it took, but happy now. It sounds nearly as good as my Blues do. * I have an Alnico gold that I've had in a few cabs that ended up in my `61 brown Deluxe. It sounds amazing in there!. The Deluxe has a brown Vibrolux/Tremolux Output tranny and puts out 32 watts clean, so hence the Gold Alnico..

Sol

This is really good news, a single Celestion Ruby with the power handling of two Blues opens up so many possibilities. Keeping the power rating close to the alnico blue may have made it easier to replicate the tone and feel of the original. All that harmonic complexity with higher power rating.. Yumm. Not unlike Celestion moving to the G12 H back in the day perhaps?

Speaking of alnico speakers I'm breaking in a Tayden Alnico Smooth speaker at the moment, it's early days but it has all the detail and complex harmonics with a clear, but smoother delivery, still in that break in period but so far so good.

Sol

I've a soft spot for Fane speakers, given that the Fane A60 is very close the the Celestion Gold in power handling do you have a feeling for which may develop a tone closer to the Celestion Blue ?