• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Are these the correct cover shape?

mustachio

HELP! PICKUP COVER SHAPE??

97D131B6-1028-4AD7-AC43-4FE8A3F2320D_zpsenrivgnp.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
11D45C28-500E-41A2-A9C4-AAF25FA0BF6F_zpsxnbgejfc.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hello! Can anyone help? I received these new pickups from a great boutique winder and don’t want to mention names, but these look a little too rounded at the edges and the holes punched do not have that authentic sunken in appearance as, say, Throbak has.

What say you LPF?

Edit: guess you can not use Dropbox to insert images?

Last edited:

Arnold M.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5k2x6ikhi0ric8x/Photo%20Apr%2007%2C%2017%2056%2026.jpg?raw=1

Hello! Can anyone help? I received these new pickups from a great boutique winder and don’t want to mention names, but these look a little too rounded at the edges and the holes punched do not have that authentic sunken in appearance as, say, Throbak has.

What say you LPF?

Photo%20Apr%2007%2C%2017%2056%2026.jpg

Edit: guess you can not use Dropbox to insert images?

only my opinion but yes I think there is room for improvement, the edges do indeed look too rounded for historic, I found the aged Throbaks are spectacular

mustachio

So, yes, but not quite?

I have a pair of ESG102 Throbaks and they have more “square” to them and they bow outward on the long edges, but I was wondering if different period PAFs have softer or harder edges?

So, these are supposed to be a recreation of vintage A2 1st generation PAF tone. And they SOUND INCREDIBLE. I just didn’t want to appear as talking smack unless the peanut gallery on LPF gives the thumbs up (or thumbs down), so I’m holding out on the maker’s name.

I’ve had Wizz, Manlius, BKP, Ants, Throbaks (various) and Lollars. For A2, low wind at 7.0K, clarity vs. throated, these are the best. Wizz were great but almost too clean with A4 magnets, but Wizz looked the best—behind BKP. The shape of Throbaks are my favorite but I don’t like their opinion of what “aged” is.

I was was tempted to buy Throbak SLE101s or the KZ115s but I went with a smaller guy at half the price. I’ve had the Throbak ER Customs and the SLE101+ and didn’t care for them. Too mid dominant but without the T-Top grind. Not bad just not my thing. Anywhoooooo....I digress.

latestarter

The question is slightly unclear, but let's assume you mean compared with say, an original PAF cover. No, these are too square without that curve on the shorter ends...some call it the "TV shape". If they were purchased as aged, they are unrealistic.

Wizz and Throbak covers look good. Most others, including Gibson, just use square shaped covers.

mustachio

The question is slightly unclear, but let's assume you mean compared with say, an original PAF cover. No, these are too square without that curve on the shorter ends...some call it the "TV shape". If they were purchased as aged, they are unrealistic.

Wizz and Throbak covers look good. Most others, including Gibson, just use square shaped covers.

Aside from the “aged” covers, and compared to the ones who do get the shape correct (insert brands “X” here), are these the correct shape for PAF covers? I think I do understand “curve on the shorter ends” though.

El Gringo

So, yes, but not quite?

I have a pair of ESG102 Throbaks and they have more “square” to them and they bow outward on the long edges, but I was wondering if different period PAFs have softer or harder edges?

So, these are supposed to be a recreation of vintage A2 1st generation PAF tone. And they SOUND INCREDIBLE. I just didn’t want to appear as talking smack unless the peanut gallery on LPF gives the thumbs up (or thumbs down), so I’m holding out on the maker’s name.

I’ve had Wizz, Manlius, BKP, Ants, Throbaks (various) and Lollars. For A2, low wind at 7.0K, clarity vs. throated, these are the best. Wizz were great but almost too clean with A4 magnets, but Wizz looked the best—behind BKP. The shape of Throbaks are my favorite but I don’t like their opinion of what “aged” is.

I was was tempted to buy Throbak SLE101s or the KZ115s but I went with a smaller guy at half the price. I’ve had the Throbak ER Customs and the SLE101+ and didn’t care for them. Too mid dominant but without the T-Top grind. Not bad just not my thing. Anywhoooooo....I digress.

I am a huge fan of Throbak and when you mentioned that you had used the Throbak MXV-SLE-101 Plus and you thought that they were to mid dominant that is the exact reason why I love them going thru my Marshall 2555X into 4x12 loaded Celestion Vintage 30's . That in a nutshell is why I love them , instead of so many pickups that are all high end and no bottom . For me it is the best pickup money can buy with the exception of the hallowed vintage Gibson PAF's. As I can't see your photographs I can't comment ,but I love the Throbak covers also ! Which interestingly enough I have a set of Patent sticker T-Tops that I had Throbak put gold covers on for me and I also request that my Throbak's be wax potted because the high gain Marshall demands a squeal free pickup . (the Patent sticker T-Tops are not wax potted )

mustachio

HELP!!! Are these the correct cover shape?

491A9E38-4447-4C2E-9D93-67846351C2A2_zpsitosdeto.jpeg
[/URL]
EE9F3872-19EB-4306-91C9-D4626CD45519_zpsytmzf8lh.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG]
A couple more pictures. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

garywright

If I’m to be honest ...the steelwool (?) swirls bug me as much as the Klondike bar shape

mustachio

If I’m to be honest ...the steelwool (?) swirls bug me as much as the Klondike bar shape

I know...me too. That’s why I’m asking here because I thought these were supposed to be 100% authentic. I’m going to write the maker and ask them what the deal is. Anyone else agree?

Arnold M.

what do you have?
for comparison purposes I have an aged ThroBak on the neck PU and an aged DMC on the bridge PU, they are extremely close, both give the illusion of the sides being slightly curved although they are not, the DMC's have more pronounced dimples from the hole punch and the holes are a little sloppy/large around a couple of the pole piece screws (as I'm told the originals are) ... they are about 99% the same to the eye, both look great with those squarish edges/corners

Arnold M.

Re: HELP!!! Are these the correct cover shape?

491A9E38-4447-4C2E-9D93-67846351C2A2_zpsitosdeto.jpeg
[/URL]
EE9F3872-19EB-4306-91C9-D4626CD45519_zpsytmzf8lh.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG]
A couple more pictures. What do you guys think?
only my humble opinion but to my eyes the edges and corners look WAY too rounded, I never gave it a thought until someone pointed out to me what the real ones mostly looked like ... then it became a mission ..

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Are they accurate in appearance compared to PAFs? I say no.

Closest I've seen are DMC.

dmc_covers.jpg

Here is a real one for reference:
paf_cover.jpg