• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Korina V

corpse

Matt stopped by yesterday with one of his newest creations- he has made a couple before from this Korina. This Flying V is glued neck, with Monty's PAF's. The neck is close to a late-60's SG shape- maybe a little thicker from front to back and a tad wider. The wood itself is very light and highly flamed- even the neck. It has an ambered clear finish and that kids is it- it has been aged and exhibits a good deal of checking which you can see on the back shot.
The color is a very luminescent yellow- the natural color of the wood.
IMG_4335_zpsvoduqwzj.jpeg

I think it is a requirement for everyone on this site to have seen "Pulp Fiction"?- that is the feeling I got when I opened the case. It's like it is backlit. The guitar seems to radiate a golden color. Now I had seen the guitar from "birth"- it was in boards about 5"x3", and there was figure evident- but you cannot imagine this is what lurks in those blanks.
IMG_4334_zpsyeibta2s.jpeg

We plugged it into my '62 VL which was just back from the shop with a new set of GE 6L6GC's and was singing. The Monty's have a great PAF tone- to me on the neck it should be bright with a thicker character, and then bark when the switch goes from "jazz' to "rock". They are very clear and I bet you could sing into them- percussive.
IMG_4323_zpscatwmoex.jpeg

Now I have always looked at a Flying V and thought they looked heavy. I remember seeing J Geils on SNL in the late '70's and though it looked like he had a mill stone hanging around his neck- the actual weight is under 7 lbs. This is one of those guitars where effects are strictly optional. The controls baffled me for a minute (Ren that's not funny) two volumes and a tone.
This one will be touring in a major country rock act nationally- the Korina Explorer Matt just built for Charlie Starr will also be touring once Blackberry Smoke gets back from their acoustic tour. If you have seen the Markus King Band Live at the Capitol Theater the V Markus is playing came from Banker Guitars- as did the Firebird. Matt is building a "spare" V for Markus. You know- in case he loses one...

Now you will never see me toting a Flying V- it is a stage guitar. It slides off your lap and no amount of rubber strip will get it to sit still. So you hook it in the V over your leg ala Zakk Wyld- and no- then you are playing the cello. But that said, this shows what is coming out of Banker Guitars. All the elements are there- the neck, the finish and most certainly, the tone. I dig it. Try and check one out. This is one of the finest guitars I have every played- it exudes tone and attitude. Your other guitars will hate it.

Last edited:

ourmaninthenorth

I always thought these buggers were dangerous.

You could have your bloody eye out with 'em just putting it over your shoulder.

And then you hear them....

Great write up that.

corpse

Coy%20with%20V_zps03rkpebr.jpg

Coy with Zac last week with with Banker-built V making it's debut. You can really see the figure in this pic.

corpse

Zac Brown- a US National band- not sure if they are swinging it in EU yet.

CBRmatt600

Here’s another daylight shot. That was quite the slab of flamey Limba, I’ve not seen one quite like it.

garywright

everything on that guitar looks tastefully done ..including the cool Banker headstock logo

ourmaninthenorth

Zac Brown- a US National band- not sure if they are swinging it in EU yet.

Been driving me bloody mad this...I recognise the name but just couldn't for the life of me remember where from.

Then out of the blue it came to me, off John Fogerty's "Wrote A Song For Everyone" compilation from a few years ago.