• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Yngwie's new blues album

corpse

Actually Yngwie is playing mostly rhythm on the majority of the tracks. Our Man In the North handled most of the lead work- hence the sour expression on Yngwie's face in above the photo.

ourmaninthenorth

Actually Yngwie is playing mostly rhythm on the majority of the tracks. Our Man In the North handled most of the lead work- hence the sour expression on Yngwie's face in above the photo.

In fairness, when Yhajmnbnhggme handed me the charts, I had to tell him that I've not played that many notes in total in 40 odd years of playing, let alone in 4 minutes. He was quite a gentleman about it, I think.

Here's some footage of kinda how it went....

johnnyslim

I am sure it will appeal to some. I also remember reading an interview with Yngwie some years back when he said something to the effect, he does not like blues music because there is not enough room to put your personality in the song. That is the point... get your personality and message across in a few meaningful notes rather than an onslaught of crap.

Cream Fan

Previewed some of the tracks on iTunes. Over-produced, busy, muddy. Probably one of the worst recordings I've heard in a long time. And those Hendrix covers are a fucking joke.

Keefoman

I loved Yngwie in the '80s, and Odyssey is one of my all time favourite albums. A blues-album from him is a good idea, but it's ruined by lack of attention to lyrics and way to busy leadwork during verses and choruses. The solos are enjoyable, but take up too much space and time. The production is a typical "home studio" with plugin drums and all the rest done by Yngwie himself. It could have been something with more time and resources put into it.

Pat Boyack

I loved Yngwie in the '80s, and Odyssey is one of my all time favourite albums. A blues-album from him is a good idea, but it's ruined by lack of attention to lyrics and way to busy leadwork during verses and choruses. The solos are enjoyable, but take up too much space and time. The production is a typical "home studio" with plugin drums and all the rest done by Yngwie himself. It could have been something with more time and resources put into it.

VERY TRUE AND NICELY SAID.

shred

yngwie_malmsteen_zps3yi0raji.jpg

Not too bad, all things considered.

But I do have to ask ... does he get paid by the note? :ganz :spabout

The wrath of Shred is a thing to behold......

:hee

shred, you know we love you.

Thanks gentlemen:salude

Of course I think Yngwie is extremely capable of playing the blues —-in that fiery rock blues way a la Gary Moore etc... I’ve heard better “blues playing” from Yngwie in the past tho... I agree the drum sounds aren’t doing him any favours :biggrin:

https://youtu.be/Zt4lxddog7A

Last edited:

MeHereNow

It's not my cup o'tea, but if Yngwie get's melancholic over driving with the sun in his face wind in his hair in his ferrari, it sure is a "feeling" he relates to having the blues.
So it's swedish neoclassical speedblues.

Still a million times better than everything else that's playing on the radio these days... (what's a mumblerapper? :hmm)

Elmore

It is not that bad. I actually enjoyed it. He is hitting the chord changes, which is the hard part. And good melody as well. But for me, a large number of guitar notes in the blues is like a non-contact karate match. It doesn't punch you in your heart.

Last edited:

surfreak

So exactly who gets to say what is and isn't blues?

He plays hard, he has a killer vibrato, and this is his style of blues. Very few people can play like Yngwie, irrespective of whether they want to or not, but I think his technical ability, tone and musicianship have elevated the standard of electric guitar since he appeared on the scene.

Now, my problem is that this album has a very poor production value, not worth of a professional musician. it sounds like a home made demo, with plug-in drums, a poor mastering job, and the vocals are objectively awful.

A properly budgeted blues album with Yngwie doing his thing, real musicians and maybe a few high caliber guest singers would have been amazing!

PaulD

He plays hard, he has a killer vibrato, and this is his style of blues. Very few people can play like Yngwie, irrespective of whether they want to or not, but I think his technical ability, tone and musicianship have elevated the standard of electric guitar since he appeared on the scene.

Now, my problem is that this album has a very poor production value, not worth of a professional musician. it sounds like a home made demo, with plug-in drums, a poor mastering job, and the vocals are objectively awful.

A properly budgeted blues album with Yngwie doing his thing, real musicians and maybe a few high caliber guest singers would have been amazing!

So exactly who gets to say who is and who isn't a great guitarist who has "technical ability, tone and musicianship"?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion!

surfreak

So exactly who gets to say who is and who isn't a great guitarist who has "technical ability, tone and musicianship"?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion!

Looks like you omitted the "I think" in my original statement. This said, we are exactly on the same page.

shred

Agreed.

I also wish YJM would step up his game production-wise and put more effort into his recordings. A high production blues album from Yngwie would have been really fun. He used to have really good tone back in the day too... Oh well, at least some cool licks here and there anyway. :hippy

Really I was hoping for more of this kinda thing.... Yngwie playing Red House:

https://youtu.be/a4l1Jk3ZCb4

Last edited:

BoyBastos

That's nothing to do with the blues in my opinion, I'm sure if shredding and playing at a million miles an hour are your thing (it isn't mine!) he is good at what he does but blues it isn't.

Blues is about feeling and restraint and the notes you don't play are just as important as the ones you do - there aren't many notes that he didn't play there! :)
Do you consider Ten years after blues?? Gary moore? This is the most cliche’s shit you hear all the time.. slow is feeling and fast without feelings.. it’s these “tan pants” old fart i love the bluuuuz and i know what is and what is not i would have picked cotton too if i could to play the blues BS.. dude.. if you can say it in one note
crap stfu..