• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

SG Standard tuners query - looking to upgrade these

Voxman

Hi guys - I hope I've posted this in the right place - but please feel free to move it if I haven't.

I have a 1990 LP Custom with gold Tulip Grovers that work beautifully. I also have a 2006 SG Standard that has the standard plastic tulip tuners, but I'm having tuning problems with them and am thinking of upgrading these. I don't want to do any drilling or create new holes - I'm looking for a good set that I can just 'drop-in' as a straight replacement. I've been pointed to Grover 135N Gibson Vintage Style Di-cast Guitar Tuners (- Nickel 3+3) that have a 14:1 gear ratio.

Does anyone have experience of these and are these significantly better than the stock SG machine-heads? I'm trying to find out what the gear ratios are in the Gibson standard tuners to compare - does anyone here know?

Finally, is there an alternative option for a straight drop-in set with a better ratio eg 16:1 or 18:1 that would help facilitate finer tuning?

Thanks guys!

Rich

Last edited:

El Gringo

Before removing the tuners check the nut and the ABR-1 Bridge to make sure they are functioning properly . When you bend a string does it go out of tune ? Do you hear a pinging sound coming from the bridge or nut when tuning ? If so it is not the tuners but either the nut or ABR-1 Bridge . If this is the case a set up with a good luthier should remedy the problem with addressing the nut slots and or bridge slots .

PaulLaRue

I just changed tuners on a ES-335 and let me tell you from experience that you need to remove one tuner from the SG and measure the exact size of the hole drilled in the headstock.
This will answer the first important question any salesmen will ask you when buying tuners. You can't guess based on the fact that they are Grovers.
You need to do some homework and search the net for specifics. All tuner conversions are different and then there are bushings...Ha ha...your just starting to have fun now.
Yes, I understand that you want different tuners but you need to know which one's will fit without alteration or hiding the holes and marks from the previous tuners.
It's a bit tricky and you will get many different answers here.
Grovers in modern Gibsons usually have 10mm holes drilled. But this is not a perfect world. Find the tuners you want and then go to the website and read specs.
You need to know hole size, post diameter & length, do the grovers have fat washers that will leave marks when removed [ mine did ] and so on.

The bushings get confusing. I installed Kluson Supreme tuners on a guitar [ 2005 ES-335 ] that had factory Grovers. Good news was I was able to use the one screw hole drilled in the headstock for the lower Kluson mounting hole.
The top holes I had to drill, piece of cake but the real good news was that the Kluson's hid any remnants of the previous Grovers. So this answered one of my main questions.
you have to do the homework and talk to the salesman and make sure parts can be returned.

Buy the way, I loved the results changing to the Klusons. Made the guitar sound "right" to me.
Good luck.

Dale

I went with Hipshot mini with the Universal Mounting Plate. No drilling cover everything.

https://hipshotproducts.com/collect...products/enclosed-gear-guitar-tuning-machines

Hipshot.jpg