• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Jimmy Page gear image dump

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Probably a dumb noob question, but why does it appear in these photos that Page's Number 1 has no flame or grain whatsoever in the top? Is the checking dispersing the light oddly or something? I know it has been mentioned that Number 1 is a plainer top, but the almost total lack of any figure or grain seems really odd to me.

Lighting, angle, and photo equipment makes a huge difference.

Here it is at Tower House in London, different angles. Average camera

page_number_one.jpg

Last edited:

ourmaninthenorth

They're not EL34's. I've got 1970's KT88's and 6550's with metal bases but hard to tell from the photo what those are. Could be either.

Early 50's Mullard KT77's or Phillips Miniwatts? - both have straight sides and metal bases.

Just a guess really, as you say Jules, hard to tell from the pics.

fernieite

I forget - Was Page's #1 just a neck re-spray due to the neck shave, or was it a full re-fin? And it was Joe Walsh that had Lay's do the work?

Joewildbonsai

Does it describe the modifications that were done to the amp? And weren't they done before the most iconic recordings? :hmm

Yes Sir! This is just (hihi) just the touring rig, as far as I remember 1st and 2nd Album made with VERY small amps, happy EASTER brother

LeonC

Does it describe the modifications that were done to the amp? And weren't they done before the most iconic recordings? :hmm

The little plaque describing the amp? Hell no, it doesn't go into that kind of detail, lol. To my knowledge Page himself never went into that kind of detail in terms of providing explanations for what was done (or exactly when "the mods" were done relative to his use of the amp on the recordings) and precisely which recordings it was used on.

While anybody who's researched this has known for a long time that he used some kind of Supro on some of the early Zepp recordings, I don't remember reading anything definitively identifying the Coronado model and stating definitively which recordings it was used on. As a result, I've read gobs of posts / threads over the last 15 - 20 years on many discussion boards/forums in which people theorized about whether it was this model or that and which records it was used on and not used on. Plenty of people were absolutely certain it was a Thunderbolt; others were certain it was a 1624T (though that model changed dramatically over time...so did the Coronado, actually). So this little display informs us which version of the Coronado and which recordings it was used on.

I do recall reading some ancient interview in which Page described learning about Supro amps from his friend, Albert Lee, and that he went to get one like Lee's (which I think had a single 12) but he wound up with one that had two 10s. And him stating that he eventually modified it so it had just a single 12. But I don't remember him indicating when that modification was made relative to the recordings...I always assumed it was before the recordings--but that was just conjecture on my part. Then this amp (the one in the exhibit) was lent to the RaRHoF for a year or so back in the mid-2000s, right? But even there, I don't recall him having provided anything in print that clearly stated that THIS was the VERY AMP that was used on these specific recordings.

So this current show is the really first time I've read something this clear and concise--presumably under JP's authority--that says it was THIS AMP used on the entirety of LZ (their first record) and on the solo to StH.

I've never seen ANY discussion of what mods may have been done to it and when they were done relative to the recordings. Note that the original Coronados were loaded with a pair of 4 ohm Rola alnico speakers for load of 2 ohm on the OT. Just putting a single 12 in it almost certainly created an impedance mis-match (most 12s back then were 8 ohms, some 16...I don't recall having seen any 2 ohm 12s) which would probably result in a different sound and lower volume. I've never seen any discussion of what "mods" may have been done to the amp beyond Mitch Colby's recent posts about the new Sundragon "clone" of this amp. The story he (or Mitch?) told on the Sundragon amp site recently was that the original Coronado was used and damaged on a pre-Zepp tour when it accidentally fell out of their van. This resulted in it being repaired and the apparently "magical modifications", heheh, were made. And that this was apparently prior to the first Zepp record. My guess is that the "significant modifications" were probably made with the intent of repairing the amp as there's never been mention of him seeking modifications prior to the accident. Just switching to a 12 (particularly one of higher impedance than the OT was designed for) would have changed its sound notably.

CatManDoo88

Lighting, angle, and photo equipment makes a huge difference.

Here it is at Tower House in London, different angles. Average camera

page_number_one.jpg

Thanks, I knew I had seen other pics of No. 1 with visible figure and grain previously. I'm still surprised that in all of the photos from Play It Loud, regardless of angle or size, none of them seem to show any figure or grain.

KS 5150

Wow, the stolen black Les Paul Custom!! Seeing that just made my day :applaude

sinner

Great photos!

I like seeing the back of the neck of his #1 LP: looks fatter behind the nut than I always imagined, hearing about it being "shaved", but then does appear to flatten out pretty much from about "C" onwards.
(Are there exact neck measurements available?)

Also, are those brass or gold hardware on headstock string posts?

SwampAsh

Thanks, I knew I had seen other pics of No. 1 with visible figure and grain previously. I'm still surprised that in all of the photos from Play It Loud, regardless of angle or size, none of them seem to show any figure or grain.

The lighting in the exhibition is such that the figuring comes out only if you view the guitar from below-ish.

computron

Nashville posts on #1 Les paul ? Enlighten me if Im wrong. I have no a priori information on that.

sws1

Nashville posts on #1 Les paul ? Enlighten me if Im wrong. I have no a priori information on that.

Looks like a 2nd thumbwheel on the treble side, and something different on the bass side.
qWvwOFyh.png

Bruce R

I am curious about the 'Dragon' Tele. If that is the original neck, what is the body - especially the artwork? He stated many years ago that the body was long gone (after the unsolicited refin by a "friend"), so did he find it again and repaint it?

fernieite

I am curious about the 'Dragon' Tele. If that is the original neck, what is the body - especially the artwork? He stated many years ago that the body was long gone (after the unsolicited refin by a "friend"), so did he find it again and repaint it?

If I understand correctly, that is the original neck and the original body. I think he had said years ago (jokingly?) that the body would never be seen again.
Apparently, the original body has been brought out of storage, stripped, and then re-painted again as the Dragon.

I have a question about the neck. Why is it date stamped? ( 2 58) Fender Ink stamped neck dates don't show up until what, 1962, or something? Would they have ink stamped this because it was a prototype?

Fwiw, this is the same neck he's been using on the brown tele for years. Maybe he'll put the maple neck back on that one now?

Wilko

and just like the original (and the new reissues) he paints 'em himself!

Bruce R

He paints them himself..

It is my understanding that he either painted himself, or assisted in painting the initial run of these, I think 25. They were bought out quite quickly for a large sum. Subsequent Dragon Telecasters are produced by Fender's facility in Mexico.

Wilko

It is my understanding that he either painted himself, or assisted in painting the initial run of these, I think 25. They were bought out quite quickly for a large sum. Subsequent Dragon Telecasters are produced by Fender's facility in Mexico.

Yeah, I could have been more clear. He painted the first short run (or helped)