The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

(Updated 4/11) New images of Jimmy Page’s gear from The Metropolitan Museum of Art

My apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

Hope this stirs up some interesting discussion.

Ultra low nut slots in #1 (low and high E strings almost touching the first fret). Neck binding super thin knife edge where it meets the fretboard.

Seymour Duncan bridge pickup in the EDS-1275.

No KT88s (but possibly 6550s?) in the Marshalls.

More updates to come...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/biztxb7XHdvMmyb6A

UPDATED WITH MY NOTES BELOW:

Number One Les Paul

-Who knows how the setup of Page’s number one as it appears in the exhibition reflects his current preferred setup but here are some notes:

-High tailpiece height, compared to having it flush with the body throughout the 70s.

-Strings maybe a bit less than a quarter inch above neck pickup. 3 /16”? Neck pickup level w fret board on bass side, a bit lower than fretboard on the treble side. Pickup lower than center of the fretboard

-Pickups higher on the bass side

-Tops of neck pickup pole pieces generally level with pickup cover or even below

-Tops of pole pieces of bridge pickup generally just a bit above the bobbin top (less than on double neck 6 string)

-1.5-2mm action at 12th fret

-Quite flat schoolbus frets
    -Super thin, knife edge neck binding. Shaved away? Worn away?

-Super low string slots at nut
    -~1mm on high E
    -~1.5 mm on low E
    -Low E string basically touching first fret

-Nut is made of some translucent cool white material. Bone? Pearloid?

Double Neck

-Super shallow string break angle on the 12 string side of the double neck. Just an couple degree bend over the bridge

-Bridges significantly higher than on Don Felder’s double neck, which are close to flush with the body. Do they have different neck angles?

-6 string bridge pickup replaced with a Seymour Duncan, complete with bright white Seymour Duncan logo

-The pole pieces of the bridge pickup on the 6 string side are somewhat raised. The high E pole piece is maybe just a mm or so below the string. The low E pole piece is maybe 4mm from the string

-The 6 string neck pickup pole pieces are quite raised, though seemingly randomly; the outer E, A, B, and E pole pieces are significantly higher than the middle D and E.

Danelectro

-Big frets on danelectro

Amps

-None of the Marshall amps have the polarity switches, so it looks like these amps aren’t the main ones he used in the 70s.

-The theremin Marshall has a white label on the back that says “no. 6”.

-Unless there are KT88 tubes without the bulging middles, there definitely aren’t KT88s in the Marshalls. However, the tubes are too fat to be standard EL34s.

-The amp closest to the stacked cabinets has a white Marshall logo, the other two have silver/gold ones

-All amps look to be plexis, not metal panels.

-There is a cool video in the exhibition that shows Page demonstrating the various guitars and amp rigs, from the Tele/Supro to the double neck and Marshalls. Notably, he shows off a Vox head with Rickenbacker cabinets. The Les Paul through it nails the “Whole Lotta Love” tone. This is apparently the Led Zep II rig. Page seems to have really offered up everything for this exhibition. I think the only reason the Vox/Rick wasn’t there was that the Met felt they had more than enough Page-related objects.

-Also, when Page plays the double neck through the Marshalls, his 70s live tone is right there. Just shows how much the equipment really shaped those iconic sounds and how since leaving that gear behind he hasn’t really sounded the same.

-An old Vox King Wah used in the video, but a standard Vox wah is what is in the show.
    -Third amp only on for theremin.
    -Amps miked with what looks like uber expensive Neumann condenser mics. U67s?
    -In contrast, theremin amp looks to be micd with a Shure SM57.

-There are felt pen marks on the panels of the Marshalls, presumably indicating preferred settings. The theremin dedicated Marshall has two sets of marks, one in white and one in black.

Amp settings (question marks indicate that it was unclear to me whether this was an intentional pen mark or just a random blemish on the panel. For the theremin amp, b indicates black pen and w white):

Amp 1

Presence 9.25
    B 4?
    M
    T 2 and 10
    V1 6?
    V2

Amp 2

P 4
    B 10
    M 5
    T
    V1
    V2

Theremin amp
    Presence x or 7.4b 7.25w
    Bass 2b 8w
    Mid 7.5b 1w
    Treble 10b 5.5w
    Vol 1 9.25b 6.75w
    Vol 2 6w

-All amps have a black X mark in felt pen by the high lead input

-Right most amp has nuts around the power/standby switches, others have ring washers
    Last edited by SwampAsh; 04-11-19 at 02:29 PM.

Re: Jimmy Page gear image dump

Holy moly.

Where is this? Manhattan?

Wow.

Thank you!

Great photos!

I always wondered if the double white PAF was original to the guitar, and what color bobbins were under the neck pickup's cover. Screw coil appears to be black.

Cool!

I like the description of his Supro Coronado. It says he used it for the entire first Led Zeppelin LP (and on the solo to Stairway to Heaven)...and doesn't mention any other Zepp recordings. Interesting!
    Full Disclosure: I built Valclone Amps

So you can take pics at the exhibit? Can’t wait

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Great photos!

I always wondered if the double white PAF was original to the guitar, and what color bobbins were under the neck pickup's cover. Screw coil appears to be black.
    The double white in Pages #1 was original. It stopped working sometime in 1972 before or during the spring Australia/New Zealand tour. I believe it was replaced with a regular old T-top at that time. The T-top was replaced in the '80s with a Seymore Duncan of some kind.

(Thanks again to OP for such a great post!)

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LeonC View Post
    Cool!

I like the description of his Supro Coronado. It says he used it for the entire first Led Zeppelin LP (and on the solo to Stairway to Heaven)...and doesn't mention any other Zepp recordings. Interesting!
    Does it describe the modifications that were done to the amp? And weren't they done before the most iconic recordings?
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork

Magnificent guitar display! Is this display open to the public?

I was lucky enough to see and hear much of this guitar equipment in person at three Zeppelin concerts back in the early-mid '70s and have been in awe of Jimmy Page ever since. The first time I saw them in 1972 as a young teenage Zeppelin fan, I came away with the image of Jimmy Page as some sort of guitar sorcerer! . I was able to make a bootleg cassette tape of the concert using a small portable cassette recorder I brought in to the arena. It was clear to me and my friends that he was in a league apart from everyone else. In 1972 and '73 no one could touch him IMO. Still feel the same way 47~ years later.
    "Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

Les Paul Forum Member m bernardi's Avatar

looks like el34 to me!!!

Thanks for the pics SwampAsh!

Quote Originally Posted by LeonC View Post
    Cool!

Check out Nobody's Fault But Mine from Presence.

Quote Originally Posted by m bernardi View Post
    looks like el34 to me!!!
    Although metal base EL34's exist, the tube looks too fat to me for EL34
    The Rockin' Doc

I was away this weekend and just seeing this now. Looking forward to seeing these pics on the big screen when I get to work! Thanks!
    Climb down off the hilltop... Get back in the race.
    Allman Brothers Tribute Band http://www.seventurns.net/

Les Paul Forum Member m bernardi's Avatar

one more look maybe they are kt 88s!!!!

All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

None of the Hiwatt or Rickenbacker stuff that he keeps at home as seen in "It Might Get Loud"

Saw Zeppelin five times in '72, '73, '75 and '77.... wore a different Zep shirt to high school EVERY day... painted the Zoso symbol big on my '69 Ford van... dreamed of Marshall 'L' stacks and #1 bursts.... the fact that all these years later I can see this shit AND more blows my mind.... This Sunday cant come soon enough... thanks for the pix!

ZosoVan.jpg
    Climb down off the hilltop... Get back in the race.
    Allman Brothers Tribute Band http://www.seventurns.net/

I updated the initial post with some notes I took. Please chime in with any thoughts or corrections.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by janalex View Post
    Although metal base EL34's exist, the tube looks too fat to me for EL34
    They're not EL34's. I've got 1970's KT88's and 6550's with metal bases but hard to tell from the photo what those are. Could be either.

I need to keep tab on this...
    Play.

Les Paul Forum Member CatManDoo88's Avatar

Probably a dumb noob question, but why does it appear in these photos that Page's Number 1 has no flame or grain whatsoever in the top? Is the checking dispersing the light oddly or something? I know it has been mentioned that Number 1 is a plainer top, but the almost total lack of any figure or grain seems really odd to me.

Quote Originally Posted by CatManDoo88 View Post
    Probably a dumb noob question, but why does it appear in these photos that Page's Number 1 has no flame or grain whatsoever in the top? Is the checking dispersing the light oddly or something? I know it has been mentioned that Number 1 is a plainer top, but the almost total lack of any figure or grain seems really odd to me.

Lighting, angle, and photo equipment makes a huge difference.

Here it is at Tower House in London, different angles. Average camera

Last edited by Wilko; 04-16-19 at 11:36 PM.

Les Paul Forum Member ourmaninthenorth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by springhead View Post
    They're not EL34's. I've got 1970's KT88's and 6550's with metal bases but hard to tell from the photo what those are. Could be either.
    Early 50's Mullard KT77's or Phillips Miniwatts? - both have straight sides and metal bases.

Just a guess really, as you say Jules, hard to tell from the pics.
    Shakespeare walks into a pub, the Landlord says "get out, you're Bard"

Les Paul Forum Member fernieite's Avatar

I forget - Was Page's #1 just a neck re-spray due to the neck shave, or was it a full re-fin? And it was Joe Walsh that had Lay's do the work?

Les Paul Forum Member Joewildbonsai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    Does it describe the modifications that were done to the amp? And weren't they done before the most iconic recordings?
    Yes Sir! This is just (hihi) just the touring rig, as far as I remember 1st and 2nd Album made with VERY small amps, happy EASTER brother

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    The little plaque describing the amp? Hell no, it doesn't go into that kind of detail, lol. To my knowledge Page himself never went into that kind of detail in terms of providing explanations for what was done (or exactly when "the mods" were done relative to his use of the amp on the recordings) and precisely which recordings it was used on.

While anybody who's researched this has known for a long time that he used some kind of Supro on some of the early Zepp recordings, I don't remember reading anything definitively identifying the Coronado model and stating definitively which recordings it was used on. As a result, I've read gobs of posts / threads over the last 15 - 20 years on many discussion boards/forums in which people theorized about whether it was this model or that and which records it was used on and not used on. Plenty of people were absolutely certain it was a Thunderbolt; others were certain it was a 1624T (though that model changed dramatically over time...so did the Coronado, actually). So this little display informs us which version of the Coronado and which recordings it was used on.

I do recall reading some ancient interview in which Page described learning about Supro amps from his friend, Albert Lee, and that he went to get one like Lee's (which I think had a single 12) but he wound up with one that had two 10s. And him stating that he eventually modified it so it had just a single 12. But I don't remember him indicating when that modification was made relative to the recordings...I always assumed it was before the recordings--but that was just conjecture on my part. Then this amp (the one in the exhibit) was lent to the RaRHoF for a year or so back in the mid-2000s, right? But even there, I don't recall him having provided anything in print that clearly stated that THIS was the VERY AMP that was used on these specific recordings.

So this current show is the really first time I've read something this clear and concise--presumably under JP's authority--that says it was THIS AMP used on the entirety of LZ (their first record) and on the solo to StH.

I've never seen ANY discussion of what mods may have been done to it and when they were done relative to the recordings. Note that the original Coronados were loaded with a pair of 4 ohm Rola alnico speakers for load of 2 ohm on the OT. Just putting a single 12 in it almost certainly created an impedance mis-match (most 12s back then were 8 ohms, some 16...I don't recall having seen any 2 ohm 12s) which would probably result in a different sound and lower volume. I've never seen any discussion of what "mods" may have been done to the amp beyond Mitch Colby's recent posts about the new Sundragon "clone" of this amp. The story he (or Mitch?) told on the Sundragon amp site recently was that the original Coronado was used and damaged on a pre-Zepp tour when it accidentally fell out of their van. This resulted in it being repaired and the apparently "magical modifications", heheh, were made. And that this was apparently prior to the first Zepp record. My guess is that the "significant modifications" were probably made with the intent of repairing the amp as there's never been mention of him seeking modifications prior to the accident. Just switching to a 12 (particularly one of higher impedance than the OT was designed for) would have changed its sound notably.
    Full Disclosure: I built Valclone Amps

Les Paul Forum Member CatManDoo88's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    Lighting, angle, and photo equipment makes a huge difference.

Here it is at Tower House in London, different angles. Average camera

Thanks, I knew I had seen other pics of No. 1 with visible figure and grain previously. I'm still surprised that in all of the photos from Play It Loud, regardless of angle or size, none of them seem to show any figure or grain.

Wow, the stolen black Les Paul Custom!! Seeing that just made my day

Great photos!

I like seeing the back of the neck of his #1 LP: looks fatter behind the nut than I always imagined, hearing about it being "shaved", but then does appear to flatten out pretty much from about "C" onwards.
    (Are there exact neck measurements available?)

Also, are those brass or gold hardware on headstock string posts?

Good tone.....cost good money

Great tone.....years of practice

Quote Originally Posted by CatManDoo88 View Post
    Thanks, I knew I had seen other pics of No. 1 with visible figure and grain previously. I'm still surprised that in all of the photos from Play It Loud, regardless of angle or size, none of them seem to show any figure or grain.
    The lighting in the exhibition is such that the figuring comes out only if you view the guitar from below-ish.

Les Paul Forum Member

Nashville posts on #1 Les paul ? Enlighten me if Im wrong. I have no a priori information on that.

Quote Originally Posted by computron View Post
    Nashville posts on #1 Les paul ? Enlighten me if Im wrong. I have no a priori information on that.
    Looks like a 2nd thumbwheel on the treble side, and something different on the bass side.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sws1 View Post
    Looks like a 2nd thumbwheel on the treble side, and something different on the bass side.

Seems so. Now that I checked again, yhey are bigger than Nashville posts.

Quote Originally Posted by computron View Post
    Two thumb wheels each side. That's all.

I am curious about the 'Dragon' Tele. If that is the original neck, what is the body - especially the artwork? He stated many years ago that the body was long gone (after the unsolicited refin by a "friend"), so did he find it again and repaint it?
    "Know tubes, know tone. No tubes, no tone"

Les Paul Forum Member fernieite's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BGReed2 View Post
    I am curious about the 'Dragon' Tele. If that is the original neck, what is the body - especially the artwork? He stated many years ago that the body was long gone (after the unsolicited refin by a "friend"), so did he find it again and repaint it?
    If I understand correctly, that is the original neck and the original body. I think he had said years ago (jokingly?) that the body would never be seen again.
    Apparently, the original body has been brought out of storage, stripped, and then re-painted again as the Dragon.

I have a question about the neck. Why is it date stamped? ( 2 58) Fender Ink stamped neck dates don't show up until what, 1962, or something? Would they have ink stamped this because it was a prototype?

Fwiw, this is the same neck he's been using on the brown tele for years. Maybe he'll put the maple neck back on that one now?

and just like the original (and the new reissues) he paints 'em himself!

Quote Originally Posted by fernieite View Post
    Apparently, the original body has been brought out of storage, stripped, and then re-painted again as the Dragon.
    He paints them himself!

This is so cool! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    He paints them himself..
    It is my understanding that he either painted himself, or assisted in painting the initial run of these, I think 25. They were bought out quite quickly for a large sum. Subsequent Dragon Telecasters are produced by Fender's facility in Mexico.
    "Know tubes, know tone. No tubes, no tone"

Quote Originally Posted by BGReed2 View Post
    It is my understanding that he either painted himself, or assisted in painting the initial run of these, I think 25. They were bought out quite quickly for a large sum. Subsequent Dragon Telecasters are produced by Fender's facility in Mexico.
    Yeah, I could have been more clear. He painted the first short run (or helped)