• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

SG with 3 digit serial

swedeSG

Someone stated that there was "clearly" a repair to the join. But I do not think it clear at all. But I think we need a shot of the heel join to see if there is indeed any damage there as this will affect value.

Gibson Customer gave you irrelevant information. Any guitar book will give you more information. You have to get them to look into the shipping ledger for 1961. This ledger still exists.

Gibson Customer Service just advised me that the shipping information for 1961 is not available:dang

blueline

Gibson Customer Service just advised me that the shipping information for 1961 is not available:dang

That is too bad that they will not give out that information. They used give a picture of ledger page with your requested serial number on it. I got one for my 59 335 and my 64 355. But I thought they would a least text you the information. It has been a long standing problem that Gibson will not publish those ledgers. However, there are real knowledgeable people on this forum that know how to acquire this information. Maybe they will help out.

I couldn't see from that pic but make sure there isn't another digit faintly hiding there. It would not much difference value wise from a 4 digit LP. But again that heel need a closer look. Cheers!

fernieite

Well that's whacked! - they gave me some 1961 info a few months ago in an email. I was told that a particular Les Paul Junior (SG) was shipped from the Kalamazoo Mi factory on 9-14-1961. :hmm
Hi, In the Gibson Shipping Ledger Archives the serial number 27103 shows a Les Paul Junior model shipped from the Kalamazoo, MI factory on 9-14-1961. Thanks, and I hope this helps! Hi, In the Gibson Shipping Ledger Archives the serial number 27103 shows a Les Paul Junior model shipped from the Kalamazoo, MI factory on 9-14-1961. Thanks, and I hope this helps! Hi,
In the Gibson Shipping Ledger Archives the serial number 27103 shows a Les Paul Junior model shipped from the Kalamazoo, MI factory on 9-14-1961. Thanks, and I hope this helps!Hi,
In the Gibson Shipping Ledger Archives the serial number 27103 shows a Les Paul Junior model shipped from the Kalamazoo, MI factory on 9-14-1961. Thanks, and I hope this helps!
<strike></strike>

swedeSG

Well that's whacked! - they gave me some 1961 info a few months ago in an email. I was told that a particular Les Paul Junior (SG) was shipped from the Kalamazoo Mi factory on 9-14-1961. :hmm[FONT=&quot]Hi,[/FONT][FONT=&quot]In the Gibson Shipping Ledger Archives the serial number 27103 shows a Les Paul Junior model shipped from the Kalamazoo, MI factory on 9-14-1961. Thanks, and I hope this helps![/FONT][FONT=&quot]Hi,[/FONT][FONT=&quot]In the Gibson Shipping Ledger Archives the serial number 27103 shows a Les Paul Junior model shipped from the Kalamazoo, MI factory on 9-14-1961. Thanks, and I hope this helps![/FONT][FONT=&quot]Hi,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In the Gibson Shipping Ledger Archives the serial number 27103 shows a Les Paul Junior model shipped from the Kalamazoo, MI factory on 9-14-1961. Thanks, and I hope this helps!Hi,In the Gibson Shipping Ledger Archives the serial number 27103 shows a Les Paul Junior model shipped from the Kalamazoo, MI factory on 9-14-1961. Thanks, and I hope this helps![/FONT]<strike></strike>

Ok well that was from Gibson Customer Service Europe so I'm trying with Gibson Customer Service USA this time. Let's hope they're more helpful!

swedeSG

Here are a couple more photos. Clearly an average touchup job in the lacquer, indicating a probably neck break a long time ago? Appears to be a first generation (1960?) neck joint? Thanks

image14-1.jpg

image12-1.jpg

swedeSG

Gibson USA Customer Service's response to my query regarding shipping date info:

"[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]The serial number is consistent with serial numbers used in early 1961."[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Why is it so hard for them to provide actual details?[/FONT]

swedeSG

:rolleyes: Check your PM.

Got it - thanks.

Update from Gibson and a forewarning for future 1961 shipping ledger enquiries:

"Thanks for the email. Unfortunately, the shipping ledgers from this time have been archived and we no longer have access to them to find specifics on shipping dates. Sorry for the inconvenience. However, the serial numbers in 1961 began at approximately 100 so this guitar likely shipped very early in the year."

What a shame.

fernieite

Yeah, it would've been nice if they just took some pictures of the things and put a link on Gibson.com or something. :dang

Btw, are you still interested in buying the SG? :hmm

swedeSG

Exactly - just post some scans and let the public search on their own accord...

Seriously considering purchasing it yes, and feeling a bit more confident about what it actually is given some of its odd features, and thanks to you very helpful and knowledgable folks. Currently working out the finer details of a transaction :)