• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Watch Question

zoommutt

I see some new watches that look like they are from the 40's,50's,and 60's. Bringing back the classics. They are trying to make them look antique. My question, would you like the watch with 60,70,or 80 year old mechanisms ,or a modern watch
which LOOKS like a beautiful antique, but has new and maybe different movements. I have my great grandfathers Hamilton that still runs from the 20's,but not everyday.
Parts break down on old watches. I haven't bought either,just was thinking about it since seeing some cool retro watches in a magazine. Thanks

Guitars and Watches :Both can be pieces of art or mass produced products.

Bob Womack

Well, let's put it this way: I've got a beautiful art deco 1940s mantel clock sitting on my mantel right now. It was an electric clock but electric mantel clocks are no longer, um, In vogue. The tech who restored it replaced the mechanism with a German mechanical movement with chimes. As a result, a lovely wooden case has been redeemed and repurposed. The fact that I bought it might tell you exactly how much I demand originality... in some circumstances.

Bob

J T

Depends on the watch.

An old/antique watch that didn't run dependably 70 years ago probably won't run any better now. But you get an old watch, scratches and all. Some of the well known watches, if they were maintained, should run fine today. Nothing wrong with a top brand looking old that is brand new. Some are really fine watches and should keep correct time reliably within seconds.

Knock offs, well, don't expect great performance. You get what you pay for.

jrgtr42

There's a few places that rebuild old watches.
For instance, Vortic Watches, out of Colorado, I think, takes old pocket watches, from the old railway age, and rebuilds them into new cases, using as much of the old as they can, and replacing with new anything even remotely questionable.
They're obviously not cheap, but for someone looking for a piece of timekeeping history....

latestarter

A properly maintained watch should last a very long time. So if you have an old watch from say the 40's that has had a service every 3-5 years, it should in theory be in great working order notwithstanding any physical blemishes etc. But to servcie somethign that has been in poor order for a while can be expensive. I had one of these which I took fully serviced and it was close to $700.

As much as I like old watches I do like the modern takes on vintage-vibes though. I have a bit of a thing for 70's watches. I got one of these recently passing through a duty free in Melbourne. It looks quite retro on the wrist...except larger than was the standard.

sRhtq73.jpg

My Breitling Navitimer looks vintage, but it's probably only 10 years old.

renderit

I never understood people's fasin facin fa need for these things.

Just when you figure oot how to decipher what the indicators mean they change!

Then youse gots to reconnoiter it all oot again!

My kids gots me an Apple iWatch a few years back.

It at least shows you the numbers as they should be displayed.

But then it told me to 'Stand Up'.

Then to 'Breath'.

Thanks for that Steve Jobs! Like I forgot ya dope!

Then it started naggin' me abootgettin' my fat ass up and walk to meet 'it's daily goals'.

I needed another 'wife' for what?

So I tried to kill it.

Wore it in the cattle tank whilst cooling off.

It spit oot the water and told me to warn it next time.

Then Steve started texting me on it!

The shit!

zoommutt

A watch could have a recent checkup, but it could be the first in 30 years. The best case is receipts that show the watch has been looked after for many years. Argentina has companies that "renew" the faces of watches that are from the 50's and 60's that look very nice. You get the classic movement with a fresh face.

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
My question, would you like the watch with 60,70,or 80 year old mechanisms ,or a modern watch
which LOOKS like a beautiful antique, but has new and maybe different movements.

I have a Hamilton tank watch that I bought in Hawaii while visiting friends there about 20 years ago that looks like something out of the 1920s (looks great with a suit or a sports jacket), but I'm quite happy that it has a modern mechanism.

SDLespaul

I am a fan of the modern watch with the classical design. This is my favorite watch!

1Ydnef3.png

Rex Carlson

I see some new watches that look like they are from the 40's,50's,and 60's. Bringing back the classics. They are trying to make them look antique. My question, would you like the watch with 60,70,or 80 year old mechanisms ,or a modern watch
which LOOKS like a beautiful antique, but has new and maybe different movements. I have my great grandfathers Hamilton that still runs from the 20's,but not everyday.
Parts break down on old watches. I haven't bought either,just was thinking about it since seeing some cool retro watches in a magazine. Thanks

Guitars and Watches :Both can be pieces of art or mass produced products.

I have about a dozen good watches (Pateks, Rolex, etc.) including a Cartier Retrograde which I would recommend. It has a 42mm or so case with a white dial, retro hour markings and a day-night complication (not a moon phase). It's a bit dressy for casual use but I like it and it looks cool. I also have an Aquanaut 5167 with the rubber strap but that's not really a retro. I wear it when I want to go "undercover" because most people have no clue what it is.

A great watch never gets old.