• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1961-1964 Gibson SG’s Pickup Magnets and OHM Readings

Differentstrings

Hey everybody! Was wondering what magnets were utilized in the patent number pickups found in the early SG’s mainly 1961. Also does anybody have any experience with the OHM readings in pickups from this time period?

latestarter

I'm not sure what type of magnet they were (someone here will), but they are the short variety. The 61 will have post PAF Pat No. My early '65 has one non T Top (br) and one T Top (n)....they read 8.1K and 7.9K resp. Reasonably hot for this era.

El Gringo

I'm not sure what type of magnet they were (someone here will), but they are the short variety. The 61 will have post PAF Pat No. My early '65 has one non T Top (br) and one T Top (n)....they read 8.1K and 7.9K resp. Reasonably hot for this era.
I want to say A2 , but I am not positive . 8.1k and 7.9k is pretty good in my book . My pair of Patent sticker T-Tops both read 7.7k which is okay (both have A2 )

latestarter

I want to say A2 , but I am not positive . 8.1k and 7.9k is pretty good in my book . My pair of Patent sticker T-Tops both read 7.7k which is okay (both have A2 )

Most of my T Tops are in the 7.4K to 7.7k range. I know why the non T Top is hot...it's a post PAF Pat No and they were still a little inconsistent. But the standard T Top at 7.9K is a little out of whack. Maybe the early ones still had variances?

I will say that the 7.9K in the neck of the SG is a little mushy...I have a lower (7.4K) version I should throw in there.

Gratuitous lounging on the bed shot.

TxWpLwR.jpg

Last edited:

El Gringo

Most of my T Tops are in the 7.4K to 7.7k range. I know why the non T Top is hot...it's a post PAF Pat No and they were still a little inconsistent. But the standard T Top at 7.9K is a little out of whack. Maybe the early ones still had variances?

I will say that the 7.9K in the neck of the SG is a little mushy...I have a lower (7.4K) version I should throw in there.

Gratuitous lounging on the bed shot.

TxWpLwR.jpg
Very nice , I like that !