• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

New (Used) LP P-90 Height Question

Eagle157

Hey all, I'm fairly new to this group and hope it's OK to post this question here. Yesterday I purchased a 2012 LP Special P-90. Actually I'm not sure if the model is actually called LP Junior Special P-90. Anyway, I'm comfortable with setting up my own guitars, but this is my first ever guitar with P-90s. I have no problem adjusting them, but here's my question: In order to have the volume of each pickup equal(ish) with the other, I have the bridge pickup as high as it can go without the screws popping out (and it's still a good ways from the strings), but have the neck pickup flush (actually just a hair under) the level of the body's face. It sounds great. Does that sound like normal? Thanks.

thin sissy

Welcome! :salude

I'm a huge P-90 fan and have a couple of LP's with them. Since they are screwed to the body, it's not uncommon to shim the bridge pickup with some wood to raise it up in order to balance it with the neck pickup. Nothing wrong with that :) . If you like it the way you have it setup, keep on rocking IMHO. By your description it sounds like maybe your guitar has a big neck angle? I don't think I've seen a P-90 below the body surface. But like I said, if it sounds good.

BTW, I have a 55 LP and the neck pickup is stronger than the bridge. I've come to love it that way. The difference isn't huge though, and the bridge pickup is shimmed.

Eagle157

Thanks. Yeah, it's really not below, it's flush-even while the bridge is about 11/32" above the face. They both have foam underneath them. But like you said, they sound equal - the neck perhaps a tad stronger, but I love the overall sound and am really happy with it. I've got one other LP, a '17 Tribute with 490R/490T combo. Between these two I can really cover a broad spectrum of sounds.

Eagle157

Update: screwed to the bottom of the pickup cavity are pickup mounting plates with threaded holes for the 2 pickup adjustment screws. The problem was that all four screws were 1.25" long, and fully loosened to the point of almost coming out (with plenty of foam underneath) still left the top of the bridge pickup cover 6/32" from the strings while depressed at the last fret. So, after pulling my hair out trying to find longer screws I 'thought outside the box' a little and ended up shimming the plates themselves. I shimmed the bridge plate 1/4" and the neck 1/8". Now I could get the bridge pickup nice and close to the strings and adjusted the neck pickup accordingly. I love the sound of the P90s.

JR.Deluxe

Lollar says P90s should be set as close to the strings as possible. Obviously if theyre too close the magnet will dampen sustain. Get pickup as high as possible and then listen to it and lower a little bit and see if it sounds better or worse. Its about the sound.