• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What about the Duncan '59 in the bridge?

357mag

I've got a Duncan '59 in the neck of my Les Paul and it's sounding pretty darn good. I do not like the Custom in the bridge though because when I play the treble strings it sounds just brittle and tinny. So I thought how about a matching '59 in the bridge?

Problem is though that the '59 bridge model apparently has a high treble response.

One fellow told me this may be a problem.

I have a hard time believing a '59 bridge model would be equally bright and as brittle as what I got now.

If anyone can give me any info please post.

J.D.

Duncan '59 is a great sounding pickup. ALV gives it a bit more power and clarity than the typical PAF. Don't let the reasonable price and availability fool you.

LtKojak

I've got a Duncan '59 in the neck of my Les Paul and it's sounding pretty darn good. I do not like the Custom in the bridge though because when I play the treble strings it sounds just brittle and tinny. So I thought how about a matching '59 in the bridge?

Problem is though that the '59 bridge model apparently has a high treble response.

One fellow told me this may be a problem.

I have a hard time believing a '59 bridge model would be equally bright and as brittle as what I got now.

If anyone can give me any info please post.
'59s take extremely graciously magnet swaps, so just get the p'up and some magnets and start mixing and matching. It's fun, and your tone will improve a lot, once you get the right magnet for that instrument and that position.

Hint: the Alnico 5 magnet, sold in stock '59s is actually the worst-sounding of all other Alnico grades. Mark my words!

garywright

Hint: the Alnico 5 magnet, sold in stock '59s is actually the worst-sounding of all other Alnico grades. Mark my words!

Why would you say that ..is this due to the magnet quality Duncan uses or do you not like A5s in general ?

LtKojak

is this due to the magnet quality Duncan uses
Duncan and I share magnet suppliers, so manufacturing quality is not a thing... However, I deal custom-poured alnico batches with different B/H curves making'em not so "scoopy", for the lack of a better word.
do you not like A5s in general ?
All alnico grades can make the p'ups they're put in either good or bad; matching the right mag to the right p'up, then the right instrument, that's the process, and after helping several hundred customers through it, you tend to learn a thing or two.

357mag

I have no intention of removing magnets and replacing them. That sounds like an involved and tricky process. And it would be easy to destroy your pickup if you do it wrong.

LtKojak

That sounds like an involved and tricky process.
Let's put it this way: if you're a mammal with opposable thumbs and an IQ of 50, then you're completely capable of doing it.

But if you don't fulfill that requirement, well... sorry I asked.
And it would be easy to destroy your pickup if you do it wrong.
Read comment above.

Zeppelinguy85

All Access/Backstage Pass
It's even easier with Duncan's. They don't put coil tape down around the magnet. Loosen the four baseplate screws about half a turn, push out the magnet, and put the new one in. It sounds a lot more difficult than it is.

Let's put it this way: if you're a mammal with opposable thumbs and an IQ of 50, then you're completely capable of doing it.

But if you don't fulfill that requirement, well... sorry I asked.

Read comment above.

MDent77

Experimenting with pickups is one of the greatest things about setting up a guitar to play!

Big Al

There's no need. SD 59's sound great as is. I've used them since 77 and never felt the need to perform overhyped magnet swaps on them.

357mag

There's no need. SD 59's sound great as is. I've used them since 77 and never felt the need to perform overhyped magnet swaps on them.

Actually I found that the stock Duncan 59 does in fact have too much brightness in the bridge. It would benefit from a magnet swap. They're not overhyped. I just swapped the magnet in a Custom that also sounded too brittle. And now it sounds fantastic. Much smoother more creamy treble.

guitplayer

I`ve had an old set 59B 59N for awhile waiting for the right guitar to
put them in. This R8. What magnets did they use in the 80`s?

Big Al

Actually I found that the stock Duncan 59 does in fact have too much brightness in the bridge. It would benefit from a magnet swap. They're not overhyped. I just swapped the magnet in a Custom that also sounded too brittle. And now it sounds fantastic. Much smoother more creamy treble.

Overhyped. Exaggerated benefits claimed. I have extensive experience with pafs and the 59b is as bright. The magnet has an audible effect on tone but it is subtle and nowhere near as effective and cheap as proper adjustment, type of string, simply using the right pick, setting the amplifier tone controls correctly or perhaps the best way, .... use the flippin' tone control. All more effective than a magnet swap.

Zentar

Changing magnets in Seymour Duncans is most often going to be a mistake. He may be the best pickup maker out there: bar none. Do you really think you can make a better pickup than him?
Anyone who does swap magnets needs to record with a Sharpie what magnet they swapped out, on the base plate. Don't swap magnets without notifying posterity. 5 years from now you may sell the 59 pickup you changed into something else. Don't put mislabeled gear into circulation. Label your modifications. Also label the magnets you removed. Label the orientations as well.

357mag

Overhyped. Exaggerated benefits claimed. I have extensive experience with pafs and the 59b is as bright. The magnet has an audible effect on tone but it is subtle and nowhere near as effective and cheap as proper adjustment, type of string, simply using the right pick, setting the amplifier tone controls correctly or perhaps the best way, .... use the flippin' tone control. All more effective than a magnet swap.

Wrong. I was using a non-bright string already. Nothing wrong with my Dunlop 1.3 mm pick. Does not add so called brightness. Monkeying with the tone controls will also muddy your bass strings which is not what you want. That is a poor approach to controlling tone.

Change the magnet. Best solution.

LtKojak

Changing magnets in Seymour Duncans is most often going to be a mistake
Really...? And in what factual information you base your statement on?
Do you really think you can make a better pickup than him?
To suit my specific tonal needs on an specific instrument, the answer is yes, absolutely! I've been doin' it for myself and my customers for over fifteen years, in excess of seven hundred instruments, so I kinda think that I can support what I say with factual information and extensive experience on the matter.

By your statement is obvious that you don't possess the necessary basic knowledge about the subject to offer anything but a biased personal opinion, most probably based on hearsay misinformation and/or lack of actual hands-on experience.

Zentar

Really...? And in what factual information you base your statement on?

To suit my specific tonal needs on an specific instrument, the answer is yes, absolutely! I've been doin' it for myself and my customers for over fifteen years, in excess of seven hundred instruments, so I kinda think that I can support what I say with factual information and extensive experience on the matter.

By your statement is obvious that you don't possess the necessary basic knowledge about the subject to offer anything but a biased personal opinion, most probably based on hearsay misinformation and/or lack of actual hands-on experience.

Rome fell from within.

357mag

I was initially really hesitant about changing magnets because I thought it was a dangerous and tricky process. I was wrong. It's a very easy process.

And statements by this guy that says if I think I can make a better pickup than Seymour Duncan:

Go to the Duncan forum and ask them about this process. They will all concur that swapping magnets in pickups is a very worthwhile thing to do and you can easily change the sound of your pickup without spending another $80.00.

And what are you fucking talking about selling mislabeled gear?

I'm not doing that. I would never think of selling mislabeled gear. That is an idiotic fucking statement to make.

Obviously this guy is clueless.