• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Just joined the conversion club

boogieongtr

Nice guitar, but do they always get refinished when converted? Is it because of the routing? :hmm

It depends if you want the neck to set flush on the body like a factory 57 then a refin is necessary. To get this you need to put the 4 degree neck angle on the body.
IMG_4012_zpsz412kjcs.jpg

Then the neck sets flush to the body.
IMG_4260_zpsh0s6fn82.jpg

To keep the original finish you will see the shims under the neck.
IMG_5373_zpsn7hebcik.jpg

Mark

I’ve owned 5 vintage goldtops and one 54-57 conversion done by Dave Johnson and this one killed them all.

thin sissy

It depends if you want the neck to set flush on the body like a factory 57 then a refin is necessary. To get this you need to put the 4 degree neck angle on the body.
pic#

Then the neck sets flush to the body.
pic#

To keep the original finish you will see the shims under the neck.
pic#
Thank you for the explanation, very informative :salude

I would personally never have an original goldtop refinished, the shim would probably be more of my taste. But I'm not here to rain on someones parade, the guitar looks fantastic! Cheers, I hope it's all you ever wished for :salude

Mark

Thank you for the explanation, very informative :salude

I would personally never have an original goldtop refinished, the shim would probably be more of my taste. But I'm not here to rain on someones parade, the guitar looks fantastic! Cheers, I hope it's all you ever wished for :salude

It was already refinished before he got it.