• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1986 Studio Standard?

SJG111

I acquired this guitar in 1989. Based on the serial number and known configurations, I believe it is a 1986 Studio Standard. But... it has been modifed after market as LP Custom-style inlays have been added. Gibson alerted me to this possibility and sure enough, you can see the modification on the 12th fret - the dot inlays have been filled in. Its a very good job as I've never noticed in the 30 years I've owned it. Does the inlay add to the value? Is this definitely a "Studio Standard"?

Attachments

• lp1.jpg
    lp1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 31
  • lp2.jpg
    lp2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 26

Shocktop99

I acquired this guitar in 1989. Based on the serial number and known configurations, I believe it is a 1986 Studio Standard. But... it has been modifed after market as LP Custom-style inlays have been added. Gibson alerted me to this possibility and sure enough, you can see the modification on the 12th fret - the dot inlays have been filled in. Its a very good job as I've never noticed in the 30 years I've owned it. Does the inlay add to the value? Is this definitely a "Studio Standard"?

Personally, I think it would lower the value due to the fact that it is a modification (also a buyer could use it as ammo to drive down the price, or atleast i would) , it is a Studio Standard. Even the Studio Customs didn't get block inlays...

Last edited:

Chuckie K

Lowers the value in my opinion, cosmetic mods usually do if they're not easily reversible. I have a '87 Studio Standard - excellent guitars.