The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

I'm having trouble identifying this LP

Hi, everyone, I'm new here so forgive me if I do something against etiquette.

I've just bought a 1993 Les Paul Studio Special with gold hardware. I would like to bring it back to factory specs. But I don't want to overspend if it's a lemon or not a desirable model.

It has a few mods such as a Standard Truss Rod Cover and Cream knobs rather than black.

Does anyone know this model? Is the colour correct?

The pickups are Slash Alnico II. Are these the original pickups?

How much would the guitar be worth?

Any tips are most welcome

54517458_1946253478820115_4748731174937952256_n.jpg54233689_570434993460136_5115567376821125120_n.jpg54514389_788790198171462_2514979458075590656_n.jpg54391513_2237804653125556_148271561072181248_n.jpg

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Re: I'm having trouble identifying this LP

Quote Originally Posted by snshami View Post
    It has a few mods such as ... Cream knobs rather than black.

The pickups are Slash Alnico II. Are these the original pickups?
    The photo shows what looks like gold knobs. Are you sure they are cream?

Duncan pups are not stock. I don't think Duncan added Slash's name that early [1993].
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    The photo shows what looks like gold knobs. Are you sure they are cream?

Duncan pups are not stock. I don't think Duncan added Slash's name that early [1993].

Hi, thanks for your response. You are right the knobs are gold. I don't know why I wrote cream but anyway the originals were black. I thought that might be the case with the pickups. Does the rest of the guitar look authentic?

I'm guessing you got it cheap and thinking about flipping it. It is not worth putting in any dough in the hopes of increasing value, it won't. The guitar is not in original spec. Gold tops were not offered in 93 and never with red back, AFAIK. The guitar is worth what you paid.

You seem unfamiliar with basic Les Paulology so I'm assuming it's a flip.

Now, if you got it stupid cheap and this is your entrance into Lesterville, as a player, you might have a keeper, as this is an USA Gibson Les Paul and a good set of strings, proper set up and a willing amp should deliver al the Les Paul goodness you'd expect.

As far as looks, hardware, pickups etc... indulge yourself! It's your call.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I'm guessing you got it cheap and thinking about flipping it. It is not worth putting in any dough in the hopes of increasing value, it won't. The guitar is not in original spec. Gold tops were not offered in 93 and never with red back, AFAIK. The guitar is worth what you paid.

You seem unfamiliar with basic Les Paulology so I'm assuming it's a flip.

Now, if you got it stupid cheap and this is your entrance into Lesterville, as a player, you might have a keeper, as this is an USA Gibson Les Paul and a good set of strings, proper set up and a willing amp should deliver al the Les Paul goodness you'd expect.

As far as looks, hardware, pickups etc... indulge yourself! It's your call.
    Thanks, Big Al, and you are correct. I have enough guitars so I was always thinking of selling it. I got it for A$500 (about US$340) and sold it within a few hours without doing anything to it for $750. I was a bit dubious about the paint job myself, which is why I decided against keeping it. I'm glad its genuine otherwise I would have had to reverse both the deals.