• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Can I use Never Dull to polish my frets?

357mag

I have a can of Never Dull and I was wondering if I can use that to polish my frets on my Epiphone Les Paul. I'm assuming it's safe enough for that but just want to make sure. And if I need to cover up the space between the frets with tape please advise me on that.

toxpert

I use StewMac “fret erasers” now. Simple, easy to use and they leave a smooth shiny finish.

No more taping off the fret board, chemicals, or steel wool lint...

https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Tools_for_Fretting/Polishing_and_abrasives/Fret_Erasers.html

Fret_Erasers.jpg

Last edited:

357mag

Very interesting. I was unaware of that product. I did tape off my fretboard and I used Never Dull. I noticed that when I was using it my frets actually turned darker and duller. I thought what the hell? But then when I took a clean rag and started rubbing and buffing the shine came back rather quickly. So my frets look quite good now.

jrgtr42

I use toothpaste, preferably Toms of Maine. Its a bit more abrasive than the usual.
Plus it makes the fretboard minty fresh!
I've also used cymbal polish - you do need to mask the fretboard though.

J T

I use Micromesh 12000 on the foam block to polish them to a mirror shine. Works great, not messy easy to use and it can be used over and over.

TM1

Since the Epiphone's are mostly a Poly finish, Never-Dull is probably fine, but don't use it on any guitar with a nitro-lacquer finish as the chemical that shines them are also a solvent. I use Never-Dull on my aluminium on the Travis Bean neck followed by lacquer thinner or denatured alcohol to clean off the black stuff/residue.