• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Toggle switch problems -60, es335

lare65

Sometimes when I switch over to the neck pu on my -60 es 335 I am loosing treble. Its the toggle switch that is causing this problem. If I switch back and forth the treble comes back. Its not easy to take the switch out (it also is covered with black scotch tape) so I would be happy for some good advice on this one. In the middle position the switch sometimes doesnt work properly either.

PaulD

Sounds like the switch could be faulty and not making a good connection, the fact that it has tape on it could point to a previous attempt to repair it as it should not be taped up, so it probably needs replacing. They can be a bit fiddly to remove but it's really not that difficult, you can usually get a finger through the f-hole to support the back of the switch while removing the nut and then just fish it out through the f-hole to repair or replace it. When replacing it a good trick is to put a length of string through the mounting hole and tie it to the switch toggle so you can pull it back trough the hole to locate it.

lare65

Sounds like the switch could be faulty and not making a good connection, the fact that it has tape on it could point to a previous attempt to repair it as it should not be taped up, so it probably needs replacing. They can be a bit fiddly to remove but it's really not that difficult, you can usually get a finger through the f-hole to support the back of the switch while removing the nut and then just fish it out through the f-hole to repair or replace it. When replacing it a good trick is to put a length of string through the mounting hole and tie it to the switch toggle so you can pull it back trough the hole to locate it.

I asked Charlie Gelber at OK guitars about the tape and he said that he have seen it on so many 335´s that he suspect that it is factory. To prevent shorting out if the pickup leads touches the 3 way. I will try to remove the tape and clean the contacts. Is it a good move to spray the pots while I am at it?

latestarter

It won't hurt to do the pots while you've got it out...but use something that also gently lubes. The cleaners often only remove stuff, leaving the pot sticky again after a while I use this.

NA1012-contact-cleaner-lubricant-spray-canImageMain-515.jpg

PaulD

Personally I would advise against using anything that lubricates or leaves any sort of residue. The correct functioning of the pot relies on a good electrical contact between a small spring loaded metal wiper and the carbon track, anything that leaves an oily residue can potentially interfere with that, a good switch cleaner should dissolve any dirt and contamination then evaporate leaving no residue.

lare65

Update: I took the toggle switch out and cleaned the contact surface with some 600 grit sandpaper. It now works like a charm :). The reading on the neck pu went down from 8.3 KOhm to 8.05 KOhm. More treble now = :salude.

latestarter

Personally I would advise against using anything that lubricates or leaves any sort of residue. The correct functioning of the pot relies on a good electrical contact between a small spring loaded metal wiper and the carbon track, anything that leaves an oily residue can potentially interfere with that, a good switch cleaner should dissolve any dirt and contamination then evaporate leaving no residue.

The issue with that, according to the local amp guru (and he is amazing), is that the "clean" tracks become a perfect base for new oxidation to start. Using a properly formulated low level lube/cleaner mix leaves a micro layer on the track staving off oxidation for a longer period. Agree that good ole CRC shouldn't be used. I'm talking that expensive stuff like I posted. YMMV.

PaulD

The issue with that, according to the local amp guru (and he is amazing), is that the "clean" tracks become a perfect base for new oxidation to start. Using a properly formulated low level lube/cleaner mix leaves a micro layer on the track staving off oxidation for a longer period. Agree that good ole CRC shouldn't be used. I'm talking that expensive stuff like I posted. YMMV.

I'm sure if the stuff is designed as an electrical cleaner it is fine to use, my local and amazing amp guru (that would be me!) has been using plain contact cleaner for a great many years and always found it to be the best thing for the job :)

latestarter

I'm sure if the stuff is designed as an electrical cleaner it is fine to use, my local and amazing amp guru (that would be me!) has been using plain contact cleaner for a great many years and always found it to be the best thing for the job :)

:hee:salude