• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

R series neck questions

Cliff Gress

I have a 2010 R7. Its neck feels very much like my 63 Melody Maker's neck, not much shoulder and similar depth. Yet my 58 TV reissue had a very thick neck. How do R7/57 necks compare to other years? Any similarity to a R9/59 neck?

CME has those 59 Carmailita necks on some 57s and that got me wondering.

willyg

I've played one of CME' s 59's with the Carmelita neck profile and I found it pretty darn thin, with little shoulder. So much so that open chords in the open position were crammed and uncomfortable. That's just me though. Give me a chunky "C" on an R8 any day (for comfort) and playability.

corpse

I think Gibson has had a real problem defining and maintaining their neck profiles over time. The CME R9 I got recently was a thinner profile with less shoulder- very similar to a Historic Makeover which I like. I find it very playable. Folks have said that the Gibson CS 60's neck profile is similar to an actual 59 neck. YMMV- esp if you like big fat necks.
Sadly, I am so in awe of what I am doing when I handle a 59 LP Std I am not doing much more than listening to the sound- my calibrated hands shut off. I like them overall and have so say I recall some similarity.
Where I see a huge difference is between Std necks and Jr necks. Big difference generally- although I have a 58 Jr here right now with a pretty slim neck.

STC

I've been playing USA 60s slim tapers. Thinking about a custom shop historic - found I really liked the Carmailita neck carve. Found the R7 carve a bit too much for me. They didn't have any R8s...