• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What a great gesture by a fellow guitarist

talonmm

I never thought I'd post a video of me performing on guitar at this forum since the level of musicianship on here is way beyond what I can do. But this happened over the weekend.

I want to give a big thanks to Mike the Guitarist and the entire band and sound guys for the band 45 RPM.

I'm a so-so guitarist, having stopped playing for over 20 years, and picked it back up 4 - 5 years go. (I do play out occasionally now).

My wife threw a retirement party to celebrate her milestone, and we hired a terrific local band for the evening to play three sets of music.

45 RPM plays all over the Long Island area (and parts of the Tri-state area too) and they are amazing (five great vocalists in their band). They are booked for months, and we were fortunate to get them for her party. The band was gracious in accepting my one request - to play one song with them so that some of my family who have never seen me play out before could see that.

They let me play during the sound check to go over the song I choose and everything went well. They were even kind enough to let me play during the first set (and not have me wait until the 2nd or third), so I could drink and socialize with family and friends afterwards.

I was nervous to play with such better musicians than I normally play with, but they really made me feel at comfortable and were very encouraging during rehearsal as I am not in their league.

Unbelievably, 10 seconds into the song, my high e - string breaks. Mike (who is a monster player) and had mentioned he would just play in the background came to the rescue without hesitation. Mike could have just thought to himself "oh well too bad", but check out what he did!

While it was just another song to the band, and perhaps a pain in the neck to accommodate me, being able to play in front of family and friends who often don't get to see me play is a memory I will always cherish. What could have turned out to be a fiasco was avoided by Mike's unselfish action.

So sometimes a band and/or a fellow guitarist can really make a big difference - just being nice or encouraging their fellow musicians.

Thanks Mike and thanks to 45 RPM - you rock!

Last edited:

ourmaninthenorth

Cometh the hour, cometh the man.

That is one of the coolest things I've seen for years.

Bravo, all.

And a Happy Retirement to Maryanne. :salude:salude

Curious Mike

Thanks for posting that! What a fine human. I love Strat's as well as LPs but I'm more in my zone on a LP. You rolled right through it!