• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Dick Dale Passes Away

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
He was a great player and was the King of Surf Guitar Music! :yah
I saw him play in the 1990s. Very impressive. Twang! :hank

:rip

sonar

A huge musical influence and hero of mine. I knew he wasn’t doing well, but that doesn’t diminish my sadness when reading the news.

I’m glad I got to see him for the first time last summer. He still could shred hard and was a total ham, playing trumpet and drums at times along with some blistering lead lines on guitar.

His wife had a few guests from social media at the show that were also trying to deal with serious illness and lack, or even absence of health insurance. The interaction with Dick onstage and these guests was conversational and touching.

SpencerD

I went to several of his shows over the last 20+ years.

Every one of them was teeth shattering loud! He sure did like big volume.

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
Yeah, Dick Dale had a reputation as a difficult man, but he was a true original, with tremendous force of personality, musicality, and self-confidence. An individual impossible to imagine in the homogenized/corporate/calculated entertainment world of today--more's the pity. RIP

SpencerD

Yeah, Dick Dale had a reputation as a difficult man, but he was a true original, with tremendous force of personality, musicality, and self-confidence. An individual impossible to imagine in the homogenized/corporate/calculated entertainment world of today--more's the pity. RIP

I agree completely. The crazy loud volume was part of his deal and that was that! :dude:

EDIT--- The man was over 60 years old the first time I went to see him.

Jeff West

My wife and I saw him play close up and personal, in a small surfer bar in Redondo Beach, 1993. I can visualize it like it was yesterday, very memorable and amazing. There was a small but intense crowd that was dancing and gatoring like crazy. No real stage. As stated, 100% passionately played, impressively loud! He had the original gold metal flake Strat, which he confirmed (originally white). He had the vintage Showmen right behind him, and two ancient brown reverb units, each with blue nylon "surfboard leash" replacement handles. He had a bunch of Ernie Ball individually packaged .016s all around, in case he broke a high E.

One reason he was fun to watch up close was that his technique was so unique, on top of the compelling wall of sound. Speed picking sure, but also things like "House Of The Rising Sun" played not only left handed but upside down - very unusual chord shapes!

Like so many that have moved on since then, definitely one of a kind, did his part to make the world more musical in new ways.

becks bolero

I wish I had a chance to see him play live, he was one of the all time greats!

RIP

or should I say

"Surf in Peace"

MightyMouse

The one and only "KING" of Surf guitar and a great person who will be missed...
RIP Dick , hope your riding that big wave to heaven !
God Bless his family, friends, and fans at this difficult time....

cincyguitar

Gonna put some Dick Dale on the ole turn table...Surf music forever....Rap music never!