• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

ADVICE NEEDED! 1961 Les Paul jr (SG style) vs. 1965 SG Special

RR82

OK guys, help me clear my head here. I have narrowed it down to 2 different guitars, roughly the same price, both all original with the 61' having the original alligator case also, and the 65' Special has its original case as well. The 65' special has some case candy but not near as minty as the 61' les Paul jr. both have strong color, no neck repairs nothing, both sound great. In the long run lets just say they are the same price. The 65' has the vibrola that i could always bypass and tail wrap if i wanted to. Whats the more intelligent purchase knowing i probably won't keep either for the rest of my life. Which one in your opinion is the best of both worlds when it comes to resale, collectability and to be honest fun playing? I love both of them but my check book says only one can come home!!! lol As always, thank you in advance!!!:hank:salude

pjisaacs

65 Special is likely cheaper due to narrower nut, that makes it tougher to sell and worth less.

‘’If you don’t mind that it’s more guitar for the money, personally I always get frustrated in the long term with the width.

If it’s cheaper there’s a reason for it

RR82

65 Special is likely cheaper due to narrower nut, that makes it tougher to sell and worth less.

‘’If you don’t mind that it’s more guitar for the money, personally I always get frustrated in the long term with the width.

Yes, A lot of truth with the nut width and more guitar for the money. Thats kinda what is driving me crazy over this. Not going to lie, future sale is always a consideration too when i purchase anything.

fernieite

I'm looking for a 61-63 sg junior, so if you buy the special could you please PM me the details on the les Paul junior? :eek:la :peace2

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Mid 60's SG Specials seem to be slow sellers at the moment. Even wide neck models. :hmm

latestarter

Early to mid 65’s had full width nuts...usually.

RiverCityVintage

Junior all the way, irregardless of value. Get an SG that says 'les paul' on it.

and an extra penny on the side topic, I always find it amusing when people say ''I'm not worried about the resale value I will never sell it.'' ...Well we are all mortal and one day when the truth catches up to us, someone will have to make a reckoning with what we owned. May as well leave them in the best hands possible.

renderit

Junior all the way, irregardless of value. Get an SG that says 'les paul' on it.

and an extra penny on the side topic, I always find it amusing when people say ''I'm not worried about the resale value I will never sell it.'' ...Well we are all mortal and one day when the truth catches up to us, someone will have to make a reckoning with what we owned. May as well leave them in the best hands possible.

My spouse has been instructed to throw them and me on a dingy in the swimming pool and go full viking with it.

fernieite

FWIW, the OP went junior crazy and bought two! - a 61 and a 63. :ganz

He has a couple of ngd threads... :peace2

Last edited: