• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

US College Enrollment Fiasco

corpse

Does this shock anyone?
I love these disingenguous morning show MF’s acting abhorred by it. FUCK all you fuckers. The outraged millions on social media.
Puhlease!
Did you know gullible isn’t in a real word?

deytookerjaabs

I'm always shocked, if not suspicious, when there's any sort of enforcement of actual law upon white collar criminals.

I'd bet the most shocked are the criminals themselves.

Cliff Gress

Some deserving kid didn't get into a top school because someone rich could buy their kid the spot. Wrong. Criminal.

Zentar

Why would a college turn down a kid whose parents will give you $8mil? Did people just find out this week that rich people can buy anything they want?
Look at the two big international psyops the Oligarchs perpetrated this week with their power and money

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Why would a college turn down a kid whose parents will give you $8mil? Did people just find out this week that rich people can buy anything they want?
Look at the two big international psyops the Oligarchs perpetrated this week with their power and money

More political BS from you.
Post this crap on another site. :rolleyes

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
There's an America-wide obsession with Ivy League schools as a brand, much like Armani or Louis Vuitton, which ultimately doesn't have that much to do with the quality of the actual education the student receives. For the current scandal involving parents attempting to acquire that brand for their kids, it's worth remembering that there's a reason why Robin Leach's old program was called Lifestyle of the Rich and Famous. They're often two very different things.

When it comes to college, the truly rich can get their kids in by donating enough directly to a college by putting their name on a new building. Those who are famous, but "only" have Hollywood actor money (QED, the now infamous Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin) need a middleman, who got caught this past week ginning up their kids' profiles for entrance into name schools.

Bob Womack

I wasn't surprised that someone had created an industry to transform money into admissions. However, there was a surprise in all this, the fact that so many schools have gone to no-grade for their courses. Once you get into one of these high-bucks places you can basically pass if you manage to eat and sleep and survive through the semester. Apparently the cost of a college education is so high schools are afraid to fail little Freddie and Suzy for fear of facing mommy and daddy who are paying for this mess, or even their lawyer. Amazing.

I worked po' nub to get good grades at a tough school - seven-day-a-week studying late into the night. I got a liberal arts degree and a classical education that many would call worthless. It has been largely financially unrewarding, given the field I worked my way into, but I credit it with teaching me how to think and how to learn and with saving my sanity as I was frantically swimming to keep my head above water at the start of my career.

But the info that many, many schools are going to no-grade was a huge surprise. Academic standards in the trash can.

Bob

RNELEE

This has been going on for some time. There are a lot of money schools out there. You have money, you go. Foreign money especially Arab money bought their kids into American institutions. The Chinese do the same. Until recently the IVY league was not free. It was expensive. Very limited scholarship money. If your parents went to Yale the offspring had a better chance than the public at large.

To me there isn't much here. Schools need money, so do scholarship funds. They are not getting it from the poor. I had neither the brains nor the money for Stanford so I went to a state supported Liberal Arts college for the most part at my own expense. Thems are the breaks.

Last edited:

sonar

So, what's up with low count posters digging up dormant threads then embedding links into their posts?

jimmi

My take.....it is all branding.

The degree from a prestigious schools looks and sounds impressive. It is ingrained into the culture by TV and movies. The perception is also bought by exclusive private high schools who want impressive lists of where their graduates are accepted to reinforce their market.

My wife attended (she went to public school, got a partial scholarship and had to be in the work study program to afford it) one of the universities often included on these lists. I taught and did research at one after obtaining my undergraduate degree at a small liberal arts university and my medical degree at a research one level public university. My brother in law still teaches at one of the prestigious universities.

It isnt worth the money and the high quality smaller liberal arts universities and state schools do a better job at lower cost. Nearly all the professors at the Ivy League universities and similar (Stanford, Northwestern, Vanderbilt etc) career success and progress is determined by grant money, publication record and notoriety in their field. On tenure review, teaching (at a undergraduate level) is an obligation that is either met or not. Doing it well does not help the professor get tenure, affect his/her salary and plays no substantial role in determining status/position in the department.

Smaller liberal arts universities, by contrast, have often little research or other distractions from their primary mission of teaching. There are less opportunies as an undergraduate to participate in research or internships if you want those BUT, you can always go to the big named university for summer programs etc to get these (always had openings when I was still in academics). The name on the diploma does open a few doors for interviews but will rarely get you the position by itself (it is probably better to be at the top of your class at XX tech than mid pack at an Ivy league program).

goldtop0

Over here in NZ this happens around the enlisting of Rugby players who can boost the college team(s) to greater success.
On the academic front we have seen over the decades the influx of chinese families and kids into the country and particularly Auckland where I've lived most of my life. These kids are very studious and achieve high academic results, so with that area covered for the bigger more affluent boys colleges they turned to the sporting arena and particularly the Rugby teams, our national sport. Kids from the islands, Samoan, Tongan and Fijian etc are generally bigger and stronger than our caucasian kids at the same age, and in the past(up until 2019) with their aptitude for Rugby these kids were offered scholarships at these bigger schools(free education) and were 'poached' from a less affluent college.
Thankfully this practice has been somewhat nullified recently(2018) with a stand made by a number of colleges to stop this stealing of players.
This is small time compared to you guys in the US and we have a strict area sensitive system for kids attending the bigger colleges in that they must live in the area(generally) where the college is situated, so there isn't a lot of 'buying enrollments' by parents over here.

WasupDude1

Well, the problem isn't only about someone buys places at colleges and universities. It's about a too hard education system too. My nephew has a huge problem right now. He says that there is too much of a homework, essays and other stuff to do. He even asked for some money from me. He wants to buy personal statement help at the essay writing studio. And I don't know what to do. Because I don't really appreciate this kind of attitude. But at the other point, there really is too much of a homework. And the poor guy deserves for a rest. At least sometimes.

Last edited:

garywright

my daughter ain’t going to no school to learn to re-tread tires ..must be sometin could be done..

article-2081731-0F130B8A00000578-30_634x736.jpg