• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

69? Les Paul Deluxe

fernieite

Hi all,
I just scanned a polaroid photo of my old sunburst Les Paul Deluxe. I traded a 63 Tele for it in 1982 or 83. I then sold it later in 1987.

The vintage guy that I did the trade with said that the sunburst was a 69. Is that possible? I think I've read recently that sunbursts didn't come as an option til the 70's (?)

There's a photo of it in post #6 of my thread at the TDPRi. Thanks.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/polaroids-of-my-old-63-factory-red-esquire-tele-and-my-68-tele.936225/

goldTopDeluxe

Hard to tell from the image but it does look like the slimmer headstock, which makes it plausible. Somebody here may know better about exactly when the headstocks started getting larger.

Can you recall if it had the pancake body or the volute behind the nut?

fernieite

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately, that's the only photo I have of the guitar. It was taken the day I traded my 63 tele for it in around 1982. I then sold the Les paul in about 1986. I wish I could remember if it had a volute. I think it may have, but I'm not sure. I wouldn't have noticed back then a detail like having a pancake body. Never heard of that until recently.

Now that you mention it, it does look like it had a small headstock. :hmm

Thanks again!

Progrocker111

No way its a 69, first sunburst Deluxes appeared in early 71. This one looks more like 73/74.

Scott L

For the lazy among us, me included ;)
les-paul-deluxe-png.592820

fernieite

Thanks for the definite answer.

I didn't realize that the slimmer headstock was still around in 73/74. Good to know.

blues deville

Was told my Deluxe was a ‘73 when I purchased it 26 years. Not sure how you don’t know the correct age. Checked with Gibson last week and received this:

Hi,

It appears this is actually a 1969 model. In the Gibson Shipping Ledger Archives the serial number 846727 shows a Les Paul Deluxe model shipped from the Kalamazoo, MI factory on 12-22-1969. Thanks, and I hope this helps!

fernieite

Hi. Is your Deluxe a sunburst with mini humbuckers?

I sold mine in 1987, and never wrote down the serial number, so that's why I don't know the year mine was. Like I mentioned above, the guy I bought it from said it was a 69.

Reno_1ted

Was told my Deluxe was a ‘73 when I purchased it 26 years. Not sure how you don’t know the correct age. Checked with Gibson last week and received this:

Hi,

It appears this is actually a 1969 model. In the Gibson Shipping Ledger Archives the serial number 846727 shows a Les Paul Deluxe model shipped from the Kalamazoo, MI factory on 12-22-1969. Thanks, and I hope this helps!

Get some pics posted ! :)