• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Looking for opinions on a 71 custom thats for sale

Hemi

I have a chance to get a 71 cherry sunburst custom from the original owner. I don't have any pics right now maybe later I'll take some. The guitar is very worn. The pick guard is missing, he doesn't have it. The tuners were switched out. He doesn't have those either. It was refretted some time ago by Danny Gatton.The original gold pup covers are missing he doesn't have those. The case is original but not a gibson case. I played it and the bridge pup is not as loud as the neck. Noticible deference not a adjustment issue. The magnets look worn out as does the whole guitar. I would like to get some opinions on if it's worth buying and fixing. I now it's going to be hard without any pictures to get the extent of how worn it is. But would appreciate your opinions. Thanks.

Curious Mike

I bought a 74 LP Custom BB from my brother-in-law a couple months ago, overall it was in good shape but I could see the "pancake layers" thru the paint. He changed the tuners forty years back, and also changed the magnets in the patent number pickups but the original magnets are in the case. The gold covers were long gone as well as the pick guard. I couldn't learn to love the fretless wonder frets so I traded it for a 2015 LP Custom BB with medium jumbos. I paid 1500 for it...Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0738-2.jpg
    IMG_0738-2.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 36

Hemi

Being so worn does this effect how the guitar sounds & plays ?
The back of the neck has next to no finish on it and is not very smooth. The pick up effects the sound. That would have to be fixed. I saw were Lidy Fralin can restore old pick ups and they still look like older pups.

Hemi

I bought a 74 LP Custom BB from my brother-in-law a couple months ago, overall it was in good shape but I could see the "pancake layers" thru the paint. He changed the tuners forty years back, and also changed the magnets in the patent number pickups but the original magnets are in the case. The gold covers were long gone as well as the pick guard. I couldn't learn to love the fretless wonder frets so I traded it for a 2015 LP Custom BB with medium jumbos. I paid 1500 for it...Mike
Do you like the newer one better?

AA00475Bassman

IMO would not buy a project of this vintage, I would buy a Custom Shop Historic !

zacknorton

The magnets look worn out???

What does that even mean? I mean I understand that it’s “possible” although very unlikely for a pickup magnet to become degaussed... but you can tell by looking at it?

Hemi

The magnets look worn out???

What does that even mean? I mean I understand that it’s “possible” although very unlikely for a pickup magnet to become degaussed... but you can tell by looking at it?
Theres no cover on the pick ups you can see the the pole pieces the ones across from the screws. The tops or not flush with the top of the plastic like the other pup. Looks like pieces have flacked off just below the surface the polepeice slugs.

Last edited:

latestarter

I mean this respectfully - do you have the ability to restore this guitar yourself? If not, then it will almost certainly be a marginal deal. You'd need to pay next to nothing for it, unless you knew exactly what is required.

The magnets won't be worn. The pole pieces might look shabby but unlikely to affect performance.

I just paid $2900 USD for a '74 Custom, sunburst, in 100% original condition and working well, if that helps.

Hemi

I mean this respectfully - do you have the ability to restore this guitar yourself? If not, then it will almost certainly be a marginal deal. You'd need to pay next to nothing for it, unless you knew exactly what is required.

The magnets won't be worn. The pole pieces might look shabby but unlikely to affect performance.

I just paid $2900 USD for a '74 Custom, sunburst, in 100% original condition and working well, if that helps.
That a valid question. I think I can do more than the average guy who owns a guitar can do. I say because I've things to my own guitars and help out other musicians with some problems they had. I will say that I don't think it should be restored just made to play again. I wouldn't fix the paint I'd leave it alone. Everybody pays big money for the checking and the finish being worn off and that relic look today. The pick up does have some issues and I was going to send it out. I think I can get for $2,000 USD and with the pup repair for $170.00 USD. Thing is its a 71 cherry sunburst first year for that paint scheme. As per REVERB price guide.

brandtkronholm

I have a chance to get a 71 cherry sunburst custom from the original owner.

Cool! Do you have pictures?

I don't have any pics right now maybe later I'll take some.

:dang

The guitar is very worn. The pick guard is missing, he doesn't have it. The tuners were switched out. He doesn't have those either. It was refretted some time ago by Danny Gatton.The original gold pup covers are missing he doesn't have those.

Very worn means different things to different people. Pictures would be very helpful.

The case is original but not a gibson case.

I don't follow...

I played it and the bridge pup is not as loud as the neck. Noticible deference not a adjustment issue.

I don't like it. This indicates that there may have been other, more serious "modifications" done to the guitar in the past. Wh knows what's going on.

The magnets look worn out...

I'm sure you don't mean this...

...as does the whole guitar.

Pictures!

The back of the neck has next to no finish on it and is not very smooth. The pick up effects the sound. That would have to be fixed. I saw were Lidy Fralin can restore old pick ups and they still look like older pups.

The neck not being smooth seems odd, but we'll roll with it for now

Theres no cover on the pick ups you can see the the pole pieces the ones across from the screws. The tops or not flush with the top of the plastic like the other pup. Looks like pieces have flacked off just below the surface the polepeice slugs.

(Todd Louis?) This all sounds like it's mostly normal - but pictures would be the order of the day.

I would like to get some opinions on if it's worth buying and fixing.

I would save my money given the info you've provided.

I now it's going to be hard without any pictures to get the extent of how worn it is. But would appreciate your opinions. Thanks.

The fact that it's heavily worn means more than just the finish. How is the fretboard? Was it shaved to accommodate re-fret? How's the re-fret?

- do you have the ability to restore this guitar yourself? If not, then it will almost certainly be a marginal deal. You'd need to pay next to nothing for it...

+1

That a valid question. I think I can do more than the average guy who owns a guitar can do. I say because I've things to my own guitars and help out other musicians with some problems they had. I will say that I don't think it should be restored just made to play again. I wouldn't fix the paint I'd leave it alone. Everybody pays big money for the checking and the finish being worn off and that relic look today. The pick up does have some issues and I was going to send it out. I think I can get for $2,000 USD and with the pup repair for $170.00 USD. Thing is its a 71 cherry sunburst first year for that paint scheme. As per REVERB price guide.

$2000 + $170 is WAY too much for this (unseen) guitar. I think $700-$850 might be OK, but again, that's my opinion on what I'm imagining the guitar to look like.

Save your money.

Curious Mike

Do you like the newer one better?
My Brother-in-law said the frets didn't bother him but I'm so used to taller frets I just couldn't adapt. I do like the med. jumbos on the 2013...

Last edited:

Hemi

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate everyone's opinion here. We couldn't come to terms on a price so for right now I'm going to wait a bit.

Shocktop99

Personally, I would look for a LPC that's in working order, I paid 2,599 for my 1979 LPC with original T-tops, case, knobs, untouched solders etc. My first Custom i paid 2000 and it had no original parts besides the Tuners and frets, if it needs work, i wouldn't mess with it.

Edit: Just saw Post #13 disregard my post!

Hemi

Personally, I would look for a LPC that's in working order, I paid 2,599 for my 1979 LPC with original T-tops, case, knobs, untouched solders etc. My first Custom i paid 2000 and it had no original parts besides the Tuners and frets, if it needs work, i wouldn't mess with it.

[/QUOTE
When did you buy the 79 LPC?

Shocktop99

[/QUOTE
When did you buy the 79 LPC?

Landed at my door in may of 2018, almost a year ago!!

Hemi

I want to thank everyone for their help and opinions. I found it very helpful. I didn't pull the trigger on that 71 custom but did on a 76 black custom . Since I haven't figured out how to post pictures yet I thought I'd give some details. 76 gibson serial # starting with 00 120978, three piece neck, gold grover tuners, binding is white with black lines and yellowing. Theres what looks like a cigarette burn on the binding around headstock. Square inlays, very smooth and dark wood fretboard. The gold is flaking off the pickup covers, the bridge and the stop tail piece. Looks like everything is original only thing missing is pick guard. Got it from the folks at Garrett Park guitars in Annapolis. I found a note in the case. It says Magic your the best thing in my life. I love you. Sleep good. Call you in the afternoon! signed Your favorite Pu$$y. This is a great guitar sounds great plays very nice.

Curious Mike

I have an original pick guard that came off the 72 I bought from my brother-in-law that He finally found when he moved to Florida. ( I know, run on sentence...) I had bought a new one but the screw hole didn't line up so I took it back, I think it was like 40 bucks! If you would like I'll sell you the one that was born in 72...MikeIMG_1207.jpg