• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

do you remember the first real burst you saw in person? first burst you've played?

KS 5150

My story pales in comparison to most of the ones above. My wife & I were in London about 3 weeks ago. I convinced her to come along for the guitar nerd tour. We 1st went to Anderton's in Guildford, and then spent the afternoon on Denmark Street. Hank's Guitars had a '58 burst for 160,000 quid. It was in a glass case, and I didn't get a chance to hold it or plug it in. I guess I'll have to be happy with my R9.

'58 Burst I .jpg'58 Burst II .jpg

mistersnappy

My story pales in comparison to most of the ones above. My wife & I were in London about 3 weeks ago. I convinced her to come along for the guitar nerd tour. We 1st went to Anderton's in Guildford, and then spent the afternoon on Denmark Street. Hank's Guitars had a '58 burst for 160,000 quid. It was in a glass case, and I didn't get a chance to hold it or plug it in. I guess I'll have to be happy with my R9.

View attachment 10104View attachment 10105

Music has nothing to do with vintage stuff and gear. I've got a few vintage pieces because I love old things generally but anyone past their teen years who thinks vintage stuff or gear in general makes better music isn't much of a musician. You are on the right track.

KS 5150

Music has nothing to do with vintage stuff and gear. I've got a few vintage pieces because I love old things generally but anyone past their teen years who thinks vintage stuff or gear in general makes better music isn't much of a musician. You are on the right track.

Thank you! I agree....now if only I could get that pic to be right side up :laugh2:

JSanta

Back when Rumble Seat was still in Ithaca, I used to stop in when I was visiting a gf that went to Cornell. They were always extremely gracious to me, a 19 year old kid at the time, and let me play a few of their vintage bursts from 58-60 they had in the shop. I was (and still am) a huge Gary Moore fan, so it was a great pleasure having the opportunity to play a couple of those guitars. I don't recall serial numbers or any other details, but do remember that the opportunity wasn't lost on me at the time. I really wish they were still in Ithaca!

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
First one I played was Dave's upstairs at the new store in 2001ish. Next one was at Tom's display at the Arlington Guitar Show in 02, I think, where I picked up Kat.

MRG

It was the Bloomfield burst, when Dan Erlewine still owned it. He was playing it in the living room of a neighbor's house in Ann Arbor when I was about five or six.

Jerry21

The first LP i played was a "Sophy Burst" '59 Les Paul replica :peace2:biggrin:

dleake

The day I saw my first burst I saw five of them and was fortunate to be able to sit and play '58 burst 8-5418 for a few minutes. This past July I visited Songbirds Guitar Museum in Chattanooga Tennessee and pretty much had my mind blown. Songbirds is amazing. Anyone interested even slightly in vintage guitars NEEDS to visit Songbirds. The hospitality is first rate and the love and care they show all the instruments is incredible. The first burst I saw was a faded '59 as you walk in. Around the corner was a '60 that was part of John Fogerty's collection. Then in "The Vault" they have a '58, a '59 and a '60. One of which is 8-5418. Featured in the first Burst Believers book and on pg. 14 and 15 of Beauty of the Burst. It has also been on the front page of Vintage Guitar magazine and even on this very forums t-shirt! I can't remember playing it I was so excited! An absolutely incredible day that I'll never forget. Here's some shots -

IMG-7324.jpg

IMG-7569.jpg

IMG-7710.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-07-31-at-1-16-39-PM.png

IMG-7697.jpg

IMG-7695-2.jpg

IMG-7444.jpg

IMG-7452-2.jpg

IMG-7482.jpg

New-LPF-t-shirt-X2.jpg

Redwine

This has always been my secret but it's long gone so I suppose I can share.

5 years ago I was searching on Craigslist (which I never do) for guitars and saw listings for a man who was selling his recently deceased fathers guitars. He knew nothing about them besides they were Gibson Les Paul's.

A 60's Gold top
A 70's Les Paul Deluxe
and 2 "Honey Burst" Gibson Les Pauls he wasnt sure about. The picture was of just the body but I could tell they had to be older but I wasn't sure.

I immediately made contact with him and was sent more pictures. One was a 58' and one was a 59'. Neither of which were reported in burst serial log. I attempted to convince him to let me come look at them, as it was only an hour drive. He said he was going out of town and taking the guitars to Dallas to have them looked at.

I never heard from him again. I'm sure he kept them as I have yet to see the numbers reported in burst serial log.