• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Dave Davies Flying V Coming up for Auction

sonar

Huh...

I've had the fortune of seeing a couple privately owned V's on separate unrelated occasions years back and got to play one for a hot minute. Both had neck repairs. This one also has a repair. Is this common with V's?

sws1

Sounds like it has been refinished.

I'd love to own this one.

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
I remember seeing this guitar at Southworth's, around 1997. Because of the refin, it just didn't have that amazing "amber" look that you can appreciate in Charlie's pics of Amos. It looked kind of "flat" instead. OTOH, the grain in the wood of that guitar is some of the nicest of any original Korina guitar I've seen, and to me, the amazing grain on some of these guitars is what makes them so special. No RI I've seen from Gibson has that unique quality, BTW, although some of the better, um, "replicas" do

I absolutely love original Vs and Explorers!--there's really nothing like them. Because of age and priorities, I'm sure I'll never make the commitment to own one, but they are just the coolest of the cool.

This particular one presents an interesting opportunity, with several distinct pros and cons that any serious buyer will bring their own weights to. To me:
Pros: 1) It's unquestionably an original V! 2) Super-nice Korina
Cons: 1) The refinish--I feel that's the WORSE thing, as so much vintage magic is lost by that! 2) The repairs. I don't mind that nearly as much

Dave Davies provenance? Nice, but not a big deal. At this point in history, I doubt it will be much of a factor

Verdict? If you can live with the refin, you could own a killer V for what I predict will be a great price (unless there's a deal-killing reserve)

Last edited:

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
So, just for speculation's sake... There are people that could do a MUCH more suitable refin in this day and age, than that version. Does the fact that Dave Davies had it refinned trump the fact that it could be made to look much better? or not?

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
So, just for speculation's sake... There are people that could do a MUCH more suitable refin in this day and age, than that version. Does the fact that Dave Davies had it refinned trump the fact that it could be made to look much better? or not?

Interesting point. I'd say post refin, all depreciation is done, so, yeah, you could just do the proper additional refin, if desired. It went for $160k, BTW, which I thought was high. It was a determined online bidder, someone who seemed to really go after it