The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Let the hating begin...the Anarchist has been converted!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    Here's a conversion that would look great!

Another option...

41UfdIovnnL.jpg

I like it, it looks like a real mean machine now. I think you just finished off what the previous owner started with the sticker. This is how it was meant to turn out. Play it until it dies.

Les Paul Forum Member thin sissy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1958WES View Post
    For all the haters: I think Charlie's quote of "Because we wanted to" should close the case once and for all on conversions. It's their property, let them do what they wish with it. And he's got a set of PAFs to put in it --- surprise, surprise! I doubt those are NOS pickups that were found in a drawer in Kalamazoo and saved for a rainy day. Those pickups came out of a guitar that was sold for parts. So, at the end of the day, JB is going to be playing a converted Les Paul with PAFs that came from a guitar that got parted out. Can we make that thread sticky? Cheers, guys. Looks badass!
    Where's the hate? I'm honestly wondering, not trying to start anything. In my book hate is a totally different thing than what has been said in this thread.

How is it so weird that some of us feel a sting of sadness when a thing we like is removed from the world. I always read the response "It's his property, he can do whatever he wants with it". I agree, that is correct! Still, if one starts a thread with a title like this on a discussion forum I would assume they are after comments, positive or critical. Am I crazy? If anyone thinks so, please read my previous comment in this thread, I really don't think it was a harsh one.

Again, I'm not saying this is morally wrong or anything.

An example to demonstrate my point: I don't have any strong opinions on 60's rosewood strats. If I bought one of those and had it routed for humbuckers, I would understand that people who love those strats would feel sad that I routed it. Therefore I wouldn't be surprised if some people expressed that opinion to me when I showed it to them. I wouldn't call them haters (until maybe one of them punched me in the face).

I'm already regretting this post, but what the hell. I've tried to be as clear and fair as I can
    This is a song from the new album, it's a deep meaningful song this one... No, it's not whiskey in the fucking jar... Philip Lynott

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator CDaughtry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1958WES View Post
    For all the haters: I think Charlie's quote of "Because we wanted to" should close the case once and for all on conversions. It's their property, let them do what they wish with it. And he's got a set of PAFs to put in it --- surprise, surprise! I doubt those are NOS pickups that were found in a drawer in Kalamazoo and saved for a rainy day. Those pickups came out of a guitar that was sold for parts. So, at the end of the day, JB is going to be playing a converted Les Paul with PAFs that came from a guitar that got parted out. Can we make that thread sticky? Cheers, guys. Looks badass!

If you find a 60's Strat routed for a humbucker, please let me know. I want one so bad! However, I'd never route one on my own. A 52 Goldtop is different in my opinion. It was a flawed design, that can't be made fully right without modifying it. Could it have been less modified than what we did? Absolutely, but the Glaser tailpiece, while making it better, doesn't entirely cure the flaw. Indeed, as you can see from this pic, things were done to this guitar in an attempt to make it play better WAY before we owned it.

Les Paul Forum Member thin sissy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CDaughtry View Post
    If you find a 60's Strat routed for a humbucker, please let me know. I want one so bad! However, I'd never route one on my own. A 52 Goldtop is different in my opinion. It was a flawed design, that can't be made fully right without modifying it. Could it have been less modified than what we did? Absolutely, but the Glaser tailpiece, while making it better, doesn't entirely cure the flaw. Indeed, as you can see from this pic, things were done to this guitar in an attempt to make it play better WAY before we owned it.
    CD, I hope you take my comment for what it is, just a nuanced (I hope) way to describe why not everyone loves the idea of routed P-90 Les Pauls. The bridge mod is totally understandable IMHO. Also, this wasn't so much directed at this particular guitar, it was more of a comment on the recent threads about routing, in which the P-90 camp are sometimes called out as snobs who don't care about the principles of ownership

The guitar looks awesome and I'm sure I would love it if I tried it
    This is a song from the new album, it's a deep meaningful song this one... No, it's not whiskey in the fucking jar... Philip Lynott

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brandtkronholm View Post
    Another option...

41UfdIovnnL.jpg
    Is that a gang sign?

What does it mean?
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Les Paul Forum Member deytookerjaabs's Avatar

Is that a gang sign?

What does it mean?

Stinky Pinky.....The Shocker....

A riddle it is not.

A "converted" Anarchist, aka "Cash." The one and only....

johnny-cash-the-finger_a-g-5244317-0.jpg

The real question, does this conversion make it intelligible to be the king of the "turd" collection?

Agreed that '52s have some tailpiece issues. There were very knowledgeable people with first hand information who made the modification decisions. What good is a guitar that doesn't play and sound right?

I personally don't like the sticker and would attempt to carefully try to remove it. But since it isn't mine wgaf. As long as CD and JB are happy it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Les Paul Forum Member

There is a reason why humbuckers are invented and why P90 is not as common today.
    Supercool guitar anyway!

http://www.rocket-roll.com/

Les Paul Forum Member mistersnappy's Avatar

I'm surprised you didn't convert the sticker too.

I think its a message to the Conversion-Haters. Of which I am not one. Rock on.
    "That's what I love, man, to hear that backbeat popping, that damn bass plonkin' down. Jesus God!"-Duane Allman

Les Paul Forum Member

I LOVE IT!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by brandtkronholm View Post
    Another option...

41UfdIovnnL.jpg
    The Shocker. I like the Minivan: Two in the front, five in the rear.

A 52 Goldtop is different in my opinion. It was a flawed design, that can't be made fully right without modifying it.
    Charlie, let me say first that I have no issues with your decision process that led to modifying the guitar.

While I agree that a '52 Goldtop is a flawed design, I do take some issue with the statement of making it "fully right."

It depends on your criteria. If your definition of "fully right" means that it is difficult if not impossible to palm mute the guitar, then I understand your decision to modify. Obviously, another criteria for you was that humbuckers were a preferred option over P-90s.

But if someone simply wants to play rhythm guitar and isn't big on palm muting, I believe an unmodified 1952 Goldtop with P-90s has a special quality and sound that pleases my ears. I love mine for what it does. I don't expect it to do everything. It's "right" for what I need it to do.

Not all tools do everything. A '52 LP isn't a Swiss Army knife. It is indeed limited in how it can be used unmodified, but IMO it is a wonderful tool for what it does.

Just my opinion.
    Last edited by MikeSlub; 03-09-19 at 05:02 PM.
    Mike Slubowski

* "Gibson guitars are like potato chips - you can't have just one!"

* "So many Gibsons to love, so little time..."

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

I like the guitar either way !
    Last edited by AA00475Bassman; 03-09-19 at 02:14 PM.
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !

He thinks the mirror is a photo of a clown ?

The Myth: Neat wiring layouts always equate to great-sounding amps.

I need some in hand time with this to give my blessings and evaluations .. A year or 2 should do
    Does your dog bite ? I THOUGHT YOU SAID YOUR DOG DIDN'T BITE ! He's not my dog.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLPplayer View Post
    We had the guitar for months before we made the decision to fully convert it. The P-90s in it were unremarkable, the bridge even with the Glaser compensation mod was ok at best, finally you gotta ask yourself... ? Why do I own this ? It’s been messed with before and not mint ... suddenly the decision process becomes a no brainer.
    Joe B
    Same thing happened with me and my trapeze '53.... I REALLY tried to love it... did the Glaser thing too... and it JUST wasnt happening... already had a busted headstock so I converted with PAFs and I was off to the races.... And Joe played it for nearly a half hour at one of his shows so it musta been good!

Seriously Charlie, damn I am in LOVE with the way that thing looks, and now it sounds like a REAL Les Paul LOL!
    Climb down off the hilltop... Get back in the race.
    Allman Brothers Tribute Band http://www.seventurns.net/

Looks great! Would look even better without the sticker.

In principle I am not against modifying the right guitar depending on the issues (minor finish issues or it having had a switch or bigsby aren’t enough for me). That said, I have played a 52 with one of the other bridges (mojo axe?) and there wasn’t a problem palm muting.

Joe, in the past you have said conversions haven’t played well for you and felt “stiff”. How about this one? (The ones I have owned and played have always played like any other vintage Gibson to me at least).

Quote Originally Posted by lare65 View Post
    Looks great! Would look even better without the sticker.
    I like the overall look too but for me that sticker would have to go

Les Paul Forum Member

I love it and from the clip on instagram it sound just right!

A guitar is meant to be played so if it does not play right as it is do whatever it take to make it play.

And in the end you do whatever you want on you guitars!

Congrats for that might player!

Phil

I have plenty of P-90 guitars that I LOVE. This just wasn't one of them. Varitones on the other hand....YANK 'EM!
    i call them 'narytones'
    as for the goldtop.. i,m not aware of what changes had already been made from original. if it was basicaly original i would have looked at some seymour duncan soapbars, i played a goldtop copy one time(the guy showed up to audition was living in his station wagon) it had seymores sounded freakin great!
    as for glasers bridge mine worked perfectly, you do have to tell them the rod size on your trapeze as gibson used 2 different sizes of rod.
    as for the conversion the sticker on the guitar pretty well sums up the significance of others opinions. power to ya bro. and.. its one awesome looking guitar! love it. man wish ida known it was being upgraded i have a couple old square magnet alnicos.. that would be intreresting!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmi View Post
    In principle I am not against modifying the right guitar depending on the issues (minor finish issues or it having had a switch or bigsby aren’t enough for me). That said, I have played a 52 with one of the other bridges (mojo axe?) and there wasn’t a problem palm muting.

Joe, in the past you have said conversions haven’t played well for you and felt “stiff”. How about this one? (The ones I have owned and played have always played like any other vintage Gibson to me at least).

Joe hasn't played it yet. But I can attest that it is not in the least bit stiff. Joel did a GREAT job on it. When he gets a break in the current leg of his tour, I'm sure I'll ship it to him, and he can ship Willy Wonka to me (which he's currently touring with).

Joe hasn't played it yet. But I can attest that it is not in the least bit stiff. Joel did a GREAT job on it. When he gets a break in the current leg of his tour, I'm sure I'll ship it to him, and he can ship Willy Wonka to me (which he's currently touring with).
    is there a pre-conversion pic?

what were the previous "fixes" that made it not 100% original?

either way too awesome

Here it is pre-conversion:

[/QUOTE]

Very nice. Good choices have been made!

Who is Joel ,shop name ?
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !

Joel Wilkens, owner of JW Guitar Restoration. The guy is a true artist.

Joel Wilkens, owner of JW Guitar Restoration. The guy is a true artist.
    Thanks, very nice you should be happy love the sticker !!

Disclaimer : They could have done a skateboard make over !!

Killer looking conversion

I didn't realize this guitar had been converted to a stop tail piece before.. No, question about it. It was the right move.

Here it is pre-conversion:

looks like you just finished what someone else already started. id pay more for the after guitar than the before.

Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork

I sure wish I could find a conversion candidate like this guitar. Where does one find these hidden gems?

Switching gears........a rhetorical question......I am having trouble relating to the mental processes the owner who chose to glue an obscene sticker on the face of his guitar (depicting someone giving you the middle "finger"). Who does that?
    "Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

I like it. A cool old beast. Well, not as cool as G.I. Paul, but close.
    - Don

Originally Posted by reswot
    A 50's Special is, IMO, the coolest guitar ever made.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall1987 View Post
    I sure wish I could find a conversion candidate like this guitar. Where does one find these hidden gems?

Switching gears........a rhetorical question......I am having trouble relating to the mental processes the owner who chose to glue an obscene sticker on the face of his guitar (depicting someone giving you the middle "finger"). Who does that?
    I'd think someone like this guy !

me to. it already had plugs. i think it wasnt a bad move. i also liked it the way it looked before but ......i have to concede. the guitar was already botched.it still looks just as cool and probably rocks pretty hard
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBURST View Post
    I didn't realize this guitar had been converted to a stop tail piece before.. No, question about it. It was the right move.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12