• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Playability Issue - Neck profile / totally unnecessary refret?

ianjaydee

Hey there, y'all!

Long time lurker, first time poster here.
Without going into too much detail, I bought (as far as i know) the only Jaydee Les Paul built several years ago, and it was my number 1 for a good long time. I loved everything about it. After a hand injury from a motorcycle accident I downsized my collection and stupidly sold it. Now I've got it back!!!
Here's the trouble-
My hand cramps at me sometimes when playing bare chords or repetitive fast stuff. I don't notice this happening on my new PRS (pattern regular neck), but that Jaydee is very special to me and I'd like to remedy the issue. I hate the idea that my favorite, irreplaceable guitar doesn't actually fit me.
Now, here's the nerdy stuff - check out some measurements for both the Jaydee and PRS:
Jaydee neck thickness (first fret) - 0.83"
Jaydee fret height - 0.037"
PRS S2 neck thickness (first fret) - 0.86"
PRS S2 fret height - 0.047"
The difference is small, but the PRS is definitely a little chunkier, and I find it more comfortable to play.
Now, astute observers will see that a significant difference in fret height - the Jaydee essentially has vintage-correct 'fretless wonder' frets (I think!) And the PRS has med-jumbos.
I've seen folks try to "thicken" a neck, to (mostly) no avail.

Might you all have any ideas on making the neck feel a little beefier? I've considered 2 things thus far:

Fitting 6100 / 6000 frets to the JD - this would take the total effective neck+fret thickness from 0.867" to 0.887", without f*****g with the guitar itself.

Saving up and shelling out the money to have a luthier make and fit a new neck with a thicker profile.

Now, though I know it's the 'best' idea, before I hear sell it and get another, it has tremendous sentimental value to me. I took it on tour through a huge family tragedy and wrote some of my best material on it. You can't quite replace that, ya know?

Anyway, thanks to everyone for playing and building a network based around the best instruments there are, and for reading!

Monroe

I rarely get hand cramps, but when I do, it's always on thinner necks.
But the dimensions in your post seem like they would be nearly imperceptible.
Having a different neck fitted seems pretty extreme, IMHO.
First try shortening the strap. It's free.

latestarter

I find fretting on smaller profile frets hard work. Some people swear it's easier. That 0.01" fret height makes a huge difference to playability...

ianjaydee

Thanks Monroe and latestarter,

Good advice on the strap, though I play with mine about as high as it will go already. Time to get out the leather punch and see what I can do to bring it up!
I'm curious to know if any of y'all have experience playing a guitar first with small / vintage frets and later with taller frets. Bonus points if it was a LP!
In all seriousness though, I'm a light-touch player. The shallow frets on my Jaydee are easy to play, but I have to wonder if the med-jumbos on the PRS contribute to the feel in a significant way. I'm having my other PRS re-fretted with 6100's now - we'll see how it turns out. If I love the feel and it contributes towards making the wide-thin neck feel a little more significant, I'll probably opt to have the Jaydee done with SS 6100s or the like.
I'll have some pictures for you all tomorrow. What's a thread worth without them, right?
Thanks for the input. I'm hoping to get some more from the pool of knowledge around here!

V/R,
Ian

Bob Womack

For a couple of years I had a muscular reaction to Statin drugs that made fretting pressure and hand position extremely painful on most of my guitars. In the meantime I discovered an interesting factoid: fret height, and resultant required fretting pressure, is the factor that had the most effect on my discomfort. I had several different types of necks and frets to sample from. I discovered that the taller the fret, the lower the fretting pressure required, and that fretting pressure played out all the way into my forearm muscles. In the end, the guitar that was most playable to me was my Memphis ES-335 DOT that had a very skinny neck and frets that had started life at .055 (probably Dunlop 6105) hat had been leveled to .054. Fatter necks caused pain earlier. Skinny necks with low frets caused pain earlier. The biggest factor seemed to be the tall frets. Interestingly, the lower fretting pressure is DEMANDED by the tall frets because higher fretting pressure with pull notes sharp. As a result it is self-correcting.

I'd try refretting with jumbo frets. Right now fret height is the clearest difference 'twixt the two guitars.

Bob

Don

For me, neck profile and fretboard width can have as much of an effect on comfort as neck thickness.

I had a '64 Epiphone Olymipic that I put a P90 ins. It sounded awesome and the neck thickness was fine. The 1-9/16" neck width was very uncomfortable.

El Gringo

Hey there, y'all!

Long time lurker, first time poster here.
Without going into too much detail, I bought (as far as i know) the only Jaydee Les Paul built several years ago, and it was my number 1 for a good long time. I loved everything about it. After a hand injury from a motorcycle accident I downsized my collection and stupidly sold it. Now I've got it back!!!
Here's the trouble-
My hand cramps at me sometimes when playing bare chords or repetitive fast stuff. I don't notice this happening on my new PRS (pattern regular neck), but that Jaydee is very special to me and I'd like to remedy the issue. I hate the idea that my favorite, irreplaceable guitar doesn't actually fit me.
Now, here's the nerdy stuff - check out some measurements for both the Jaydee and PRS:
Jaydee neck thickness (first fret) - 0.83"
Jaydee fret height - 0.037"
PRS S2 neck thickness (first fret) - 0.86"
PRS S2 fret height - 0.047"
The difference is small, but the PRS is definitely a little chunkier, and I find it more comfortable to play.
Now, astute observers will see that a significant difference in fret height - the Jaydee essentially has vintage-correct 'fretless wonder' frets (I think!) And the PRS has med-jumbos.
I've seen folks try to "thicken" a neck, to (mostly) no avail.

Might you all have any ideas on making the neck feel a little beefier? I've considered 2 things thus far:

Fitting 6100 / 6000 frets to the JD - this would take the total effective neck+fret thickness from 0.867" to 0.887", without f*****g with the guitar itself.

Saving up and shelling out the money to have a luthier make and fit a new neck with a thicker profile.

Now, though I know it's the 'best' idea, before I hear sell it and get another, it has tremendous sentimental value to me. I took it on tour through a huge family tragedy and wrote some of my best material on it. You can't quite replace that, ya know?

Anyway, thanks to everyone for playing and building a network based around the best instruments there are, and for reading!

Please enlighten me as to what a "Jaydee Les Paul" is ?

ianjaydee

Hey all,

Thanks for the advice again - haven't gotten around to dealing a picture, but you can find it here:
https://www.jaydeecustomguitars.co.uk/custom_lead_guitars.html
Check out the gallery - it's the only les paul style guitar. Flame top, ebony fretboard, etc.
Interesting point about nut width - I hadn't really considered that. I know I've never bonded with fenders- maybe that has something to do with it.
Thanks!

Bloodspoint

Hey all,

Thanks for the advice again - haven't gotten around to dealing a picture, but you can find it here:
https://www.jaydeecustomguitars.co.uk/custom_lead_guitars.html
Check out the gallery - it's the only les paul style guitar. Flame top, ebony fretboard, etc.
Interesting point about nut width - I hadn't really considered that. I know I've never bonded with fenders- maybe that has something to do with it.
Thanks!

That is a super nice guitar if it's the one with the natural finish and block inlays. The neck sizes are close, but between the neck and the frets, it's an eighth of an inch, which can be a lot if you're sensitive to it.
I'd try some taller frets. It's worth a shot, and it might make your baby playable again.