• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How to fix the four pots of a Gibson ES-135?

Bluuzman

:2cool When screwing tightly the exchanged new pots on the front side of the archtop of a Gibson ES-135:
How do you hold on the pots on the backside of the archtop so that the pots won’t twist unintendedly? :hmm
Unintended twisting of the pots could result in tearing off the lines between the pots.

(Fixing the pots of a Stratocaster can be done very easily, because it is possible to hold on the pots on the backside of the pickguard by hand to avoid twisting of the pots when screwing tightly).

Thanks for any help.

VamboRool

Are you using a lock washer? Goes on the inside of the body. Use a nut to adjust the length of the pot shaft so you don't have too much coming out of the body, then put on the lock washer. On the outside, the pointer (or plain washer) then the nut. Hope this makes sense.

Don

I'm sorry for not getting back to you on this! I was able to stick one of my long-ish skinny fingers in though the F-hole, just far enough to hold the pots from spinning with my fingertip.

Lock washers do help.

Bluuzman

:2cool Thanks for the reply.

Although I am using lock washers I cannot prevent the pots from spinning. Unfortunately, I am not able to stick my fingers through the F-hole.

Seems to me some instrument for endoscopic surgery is necessary.