• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Would this be considered a clown burst?

Thundermtn

Yeah, that's a prime example of clownyness. If you buy it, it'll show up in a VW Beetle and 40 of them will fall out the door and they'll all have size 85 shoes on.

They were the worst/best in the Norlin years.

Digieditny

So this 2000 would eventually become more clowny as the years go by?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190301-180537.jpg
    Screenshot_20190301-180537.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 75

Big Al

I hate that lable and the bullshit associated with it. Like BBQ Grill top and other derisive terms, all they do is enforce a cliquish fashion vogue and discourage others.

Thundermtn

So this 2000 would eventually become more clowny as the years go by?

I don't think so.

Mostly for me the abrupt color change is what gives it the term, there isn't much room and the color change happens too rapidly for it to be aesthetically pleasing to my eye. It's like having an amazing banjo solo right next to a beautiful string quartet. By themselves they could be great, but they don't need to be right next to each other, some snappy banter from the MC or a commercial break is needed to for a smooth transition from one to the other.

The colors are very small part of it but it doesn't take much change in hue or distance of transition for it to go from a clown to a nice CSB. This is just my opinion too. However a lot of other people share in the belief that it's a silly looking color scheme (clown).

cincyguitar

I almost bought one like that back in the 70's....but instead bought a red 73 Les Paul Deluxe...still have it...:hank

brandtkronholm

Clown 'Bursts are no joke!

From the Thread "Keeping the Blues Alive V Cruise...vintage guitars abound!" in the Forum "Vintage 1952-1960 Les Pauls" we can see just how cool they are.

I just went on the Keeping the Blues Alive V Cruise with my buddy Joe B. What a great time we had! I, of course, took a few pics, so I thought I'd share some of them with you.

There were killer guitars all over the place!

DSC_1576-XL.jpg

DSC_2352-XL.jpg

jhb

snag

Sprayed on the back and the side curve? Did they spray them in the factory like that?

Redwine

I played a killer deluxe that looked like Ronald McDonald. I mean the transition of color was non-existent. Just a solid red line. It sounded and played so fantastic though. Wouldn't dissuade me from buying one if it played great.

My 1990 classic (left) depending on the lighting could fall in the more mild category, but I don't think it quite meets the criteria.

KTvlTUH.jpg

BrewCrew

I saw a video of James Williamson playing a clown burst custom. Pretty cool to me.

sgtim

The front is not too bad. Luckily no one can see the back of th the head stock while your playing it.

Bob Womack

Early '70s side and back spray:

lpback.jpg

The suburst is on the sides and back of the headstock as well. Might Mite brass jack plate but the original is in the case as well.

lptop.jpg

They are their own beasties. Lot's of miles and smiles on this one. It's a '74 Kalamazoo Standard, before the marked "Standard" line existed.

lpscriptsm.jpg

Bob

Big Al

They did that type full guitar burst from 70-83. Some exceptions like Antique Burst with walnut shade back and neck.

GoldTopBunny

haha omg, i never heard of "clown burst" but i LOVE THEM, my 81 deluxe is a lil bit clownish and i think its the beautiful thing ever! dee.jpg