• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Marshall amp recommendations

A4effort13

What are y'alls thoughts on marshall combos? I dont have access to play one before buying but from what I've seen online I would probably get a dsl40cr or an Origin 50 but its kinda hard to get a good feel for them just watching youtube videos. I mostly play classic rock and blues

renderit

Mark's Guitar Loft. Thank me later. I call mine the "Sag Queen". This way youse can use any speakers/combos of speakers you wish and are not 'making do'.

40935044354_014230ade7_k.jpg

40935054804_5c25d7f046_k.jpg

sonar

For band use or home/studio?

Some modern Marshall's sound ok while others don't. I thought the Astoria series was a good idea, but expensive even for a handwired series. Some of the reissues are kind of cool...

my personal taste should be considered 100% subjective as most of the Marshall's I like were made 50+ years ago.

There's a lot of competition for mass produced, British style, master volume combo's. Orange, Blackstar and Vox might be options in that price range. A lot of what you pay for with Marshall is the logo.

Best to go out and audition some amps if you have the means.

AA00475Bassman

y8galLa.jpg
[/IMG]

Love this Steven Corhs built 18 watt , Heyboar custom transformers & voltage regulation module play it cranked at low volumes ! His cabinets are 2nd to none !

AA00475Bassman

KYpEWtp.jpg
[/IMG]

One of my favorite amp's is this 80's Studio 15 ,Although this amp has Printed Circuit boards & 6v6 tubes this amp sounds killer . DO NOT shy away from any of these Marshall PCB amp's try some . You can find great tone for well under a 1000.00 used ,

Last edited:

J.D.

The new mini Jubilee 2525c sounds really good to my ears.

J.D.

The mini is 20w / 5w using EL34 output tubes :jim

A4effort13

For band use or home/studio?

Some modern Marshall's sound ok while others don't. I thought the Astoria series was a good idea, but expensive even for a handwired series. Some of the reissues are kind of cool...

my personal taste should be considered 100% subjective as most of the Marshall's I like were made 50+ years ago.

There's a lot of competition for mass produced, British style, master volume combo's. Orange, Blackstar and Vox might be options in that price range. A lot of what you pay for with Marshall is the logo.

Best to go out and audition some amps if you have the means.
Mostly home and occasionally with a band but noise isn't really an issue where I live. Yeahhh I know I'll pay extra for the logo but I've never had a Marshall and always wanted one so I don't mind shelling out a little extra. I also love the looks of the origin so I'm leaning towards that but I've heard inconsistent reviews on it so I'm just a little hesitant

A4effort13

KYpEWtp.jpg
[/IMG]

One of my favorite amp's is this 80's Studio 15 ,Although this amp has Printed Circuit boards this amp sounds killer . DO NOT shy away from any of these Marshall PCB amp's try some . You can find great tone for well under a 1000.00 . Albert king used solid state amps I don't think his tone was lacking !
I used to have a new one similar to that, pretty decent little amp. I didn't know that about Albert tho.

mustachio

Oh boy. Those new ones from Namm looked cool. $1000 is hard to find at that price point. You’ll end up paying for it in the end. Sweetwater has graeat financing usually. I’m only paying about $30 a month. No interest. Are you in the UK?
Those are pretty sweet, I'm trying to keep her under $1k though ...wife's orders:dang