• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NVAD 1960 Fender Super Amp

Jeff West

interesting- so he is still around and reconing? I'll try again for an updated contact, I have at least one long- blown vintage P10R

Last edited:

Oatie

Very nice condition Super, you got a good one. I have a 1960 Concert with the Pink-Brown General Tire Tolex (JK) in all original condition, the light brown dogbone handle and the four Jensen P10Q speakers with the greenish original cones. On the P10Q Jensens the cones changed to a greenish hue over the years, this is how you can tell if they are original cones at a glance. No matter what people say leave the original yellow astrons in the amp. I also have the Fender Reverb unit in the same early Pinkish Brown Tolex with the original Footswitch. The early footswitch has the round silver Belden cable for the Reverb Units with the 1/4" Jack. The first run had a 10 foot long cable, the second version has a 15 foot long cable with the smaller shaft knurled shank 1/4" jack with the white phenolic tip on the switchcraft jack. The first ones have the same 1/4" jack they used on the Guitar cables, the longer 1/4" jack with the double knurled shaft. The footswitch for my 1960 Concert is the brown single switch with the older button type and a lamp cord type cable to the RCA phono jack. The four Jensen P10Q all have the magnet bell covers and they sound great with the 1-1/4" voice coils. Orange County did a great job reconing some Jensens for me years ago with quality cones for a 58 Bassman. The 6 pre-amp tube Brownies are very special amps. You will love yours. My Concert has the Triad tweed Bassman OT in it and the rare yellow Astron Silicon Diodes near the bias caps that look like mini Lobster buoys. A pair of Celestion Gold 10" speakers would be amazing in your Super. Another thing to inspect, on the 1960 Early brown amps the first Glides have bakelite inserts inside the glides and they crumble when the amp takes a hard drop. If you remove one glide you will see if they are the bakelite inserts or rubber inserts. If they are bakelite, I always remove mine and keep in a bag for safekeeping and install rubber inserted glides. Tehy uaed the bakelite inserts in the Sphinx glides on most of the early brownface amps, 2 of my Deluxe brownies have them and a Princeton. They were a poor choice in the design of the glides and really rare to find in unbroken condition. Most have crumbled over the years. Worth a look.

corpse

I hear glides I think of feet- correct? Mine are metal and there appears to be some maybe bakelite in the middle. It is largely missing.
Interesting -the 8087PT in there is the same as a 59 Bassman?

Oatie

Yes, The feet. Your originals are the early brown bakelite inserts. You can buy a set of new Glides the same size and just replace the rubber inserts in your originals. Then I use those stick on felt pads ( 3/4" ) on the glides so they don't rattle on tile floors.

You scored on the Super. The 8087 Triad PT is the same as the Bassman. My 1960 Concert had the new SS PT with the tweed Bassman Triad OT. These are some of the best amps Fender ever made. I have a couple brown Deluxe and one is an Export model. If you look under your chassis near the PT you will see 2 extra holes drilled in the chassis, those were for the Export voltage select board that mounts inside the export amps. This was before the BF Exports with the red switch. This export type has a small pin that simply slides out into the next voltage select. The metal the pin slides into is a hard cold roll steel and the pin fits tight.

Pc4XjMg
Pc4XjMg
1962-Deluxe-Brown-6-G3-Export.jpg

Oatie

I would leave the 1 Meg LIN Vol pot in the amp, it's no mistake. It's part of the magic.

Fender used the 1 Meg LIN Vol pots in almost all the larger tweed amps, My 1956 Bassman 2-holer has the two 1 Meg LIN Vol pots in it, and my 1957, 58,59 and 1960 tweed Twins all have the 1 Meg LIN Vol pots. All the Bassmans, Pro, Super and Bandmaster all have 1 Meg LIN Vol Pots and not the 1 Meg Audio Pots displayed in the schematics. If you look at any of these tweed amps you will see the 1 Meg LIN Vol Pots. My 1959 Twin has one LIN and one Log Vol Pot, the only amp that has one of each.

If any of you have the old Tweeds I listed, look at the vol pots and see they are LIN taper.

For some reason the Fender techs like the sweep on the Linear tapered Vol pots.

Erodr133

corpse- If yours is "JL", I'd really be interested to confirm that it conforms to the 11/60 6G4-A schematic, circuit-wise.

In the fall of 1960, like my "JI" (below) which looks just like yours, there was an "in between" brown Super circuit that had "6G4-A" on the tube chart and was 6 preamp tube circuit, but had quite different tone stack arrangement (not just different component values) and a few other circuit nuances. I've seen 6 or 7 of these, mainly from 9/60, there was one at Lark Street when I was last there a year ago which they were thinking was a "prototype". But apparently there was never an official Fender schematic for these (unlike for some other mid-late 1960 models that had a schematic depicting the same "in-between" Baxandall style tone stack, e.g., the schematic for the 6G8 Twin, dated 6/60). I'm guessing that yours is actually as depicted in the 6G4-A schematic, by December, like the couple of Jan '60 Supers I've examined.

Jeff

dhcaaXXqQtTSlnX64zftNJ8U0Y15y17MimhGJbnWkVokt-UWQY41h3hUcztAlEH84JdQ7_o=s128

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but Jeff, could you tell me more about this Prototype 1960 Fender Super's? Did it look authentic to 1960 or did it look like a later mod? Also, is there anywhere I can find more information on these "in between" Fender Supers? Thanks!