• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD: Ooops i did it again....am i seeing double?

Hiwatt Bob

:XRE Good lawd, wow!!!! I've got two player grade NR 'birds, one '65 oversprayed (pelham blue) + humbuckers and the other a teaburst '67 3p90 model w/headstock repairs. The elusive mini hum has, uh, eluded me! Just from from an ergonomic/comfort angle they're about my favorite electric guitar, fit me like a glove! Damn that looks fine...

The FB pickups are truly special, theyre different than the standard mini-hum's too. It's true that they're bright, but that's what tone knobs are for--which leaves room for them to add in more grind if you want. I also concur on the ergonomics--which is why the Jazzmaster is my favorite fender. they just feel good to play.

I know there weren't any big guitar heroes that used them (except for like Brian Jones), so from an investment standpoint they'll never reach huge $$$. But, due to sheer rarity, they are among the most rare Gibsons--much rarer than Bursts. There were literally less than 100 of the NR FB VII's and less than 500 of the NR FB V's produced--so the number of original unmodified examples has to be even lower than that. That's the only reason why i think i'm going to hold on to it--because with that kind of rarity--it wouldn't take much to send them much higher in value.

ScumbackSpeakers

A pic from 12 years ago...three of mine in the middle, a buddy's on the outside left & right.

5sgpic.jpg

garywright

can’t have enough SG pix. :salude ..btw, back in 80s Gruhn had a mid-60s Pelham special that I passed on :##

Bruce R

A pic from 12 years ago...three of mine in the middle, a buddy's on the outside left & right.

5sgpic.jpg

Very nice, indeed.

The Fool SG is a very good reproduction, even down to the Todd-era Schaller bridge, the small yellow plate between the neck pickup and the neck, the painted pickup rings, and the Grovers. Who did it?

Is the other SG Standard a Custom Shop?

ScumbackSpeakers

The standard is a vintage 61 SG / LP, the Fool SG was painted by Jim O'Connor, it started life as a 63 SG Jr that had been stripped, the cherry Special is a vintage 61 with ABR-1 / stop tail conversion.

deytookerjaabs

The FB pickups are truly special, theyre different than the standard mini-hum's too. It's true that they're bright, but that's what tone knobs are for--which leaves room for them to add in more grind if you want. I also concur on the ergonomics--which is why the Jazzmaster is my favorite fender. they just feel good to play.

I know there weren't any big guitar heroes that used them (except for like Brian Jones), so from an investment standpoint they'll never reach huge $$$. But, due to sheer rarity, they are among the most rare Gibsons--much rarer than Bursts. There were literally less than 100 of the NR FB VII's and less than 500 of the NR FB V's produced--so the number of original unmodified examples has to be even lower than that. That's the only reason why i think i'm going to hold on to it--because with that kind of rarity--it wouldn't take much to send them much higher in value.

I had no idea what the numbers were.

So, let me get this straight. I've got my calculator here, doing some math according to the numbers the people who own old NR 'birds are you, me, and songbirds museum.

I concur, don't let anyone pry that 'bird from your hands!

Hotshot

MA-Gawd! Love it. I think about collecting 64s all the time... Just my Junior for now, but man one of those Standards would be nice. How do you like the MM?

Hiwatt Bob

MA-Gawd! Love it. I think about collecting 64s all the time... Just my Junior for now, but man one of those Standards would be nice. How do you like the MM?

The MM is basically just as good as any other SG in terms of feel. The pickups are just low output and sparkly/chimey like fender. If you live the SG style/feel but want a different tone, they’re extremely undervalued.

garywright

The MM is basically just as good as any other SG in terms of feel. The pickups are just low output and sparkly/chimey like fender. If you live the SG style/feel but want a different tone, they’re extremely undervalued.

do you think the solid plastic covers hinder their sound/power ?

garywright

I think that it is what's under the plastic cover that hinders their sound/power. :ganz

Well sir ..I just put a 45RPM of Conway Twitty singing Hello Darlin between the strings and pickup on my humbuckered guitar and it sounded like Tiny Tim