• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Why so many LP Tributes in the used market

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
I didn't compare the models. You guys have no reading comprehension.

I was pointing out that in heirarchy, "lesser end models" can be great, so don't overlook a tribute as any less. That's all.

I'm keenly aware that a Les Paul Jr is a special animal. Big Al understood my post.

As far as features the order goes: Jr, Special, Studio, Tribute, Standard, Traditional, historic. All good.

edselman

This is the main reason I don’t participate much in this forum. Everything turns into a fight. I’m done!

idh959

Hi All,

How many 2018 Les Paul Tribute owners got the switch washer in the case? The web site say switch washer "Not Mounted". Mine doesn't include it.

Cheers.

lvidal

There’s nothing wrong with Tributes, you’ll find a lot because of three main things:

1- Massive construction: is an easier and faster to make model. Finish can be done prettymuch “on the fly”.

2- Beginners buy it: it is a model directed for starters that like vintage looks and think that like vintage sounds and specs. When they buy them it’s their moment of truth and they fall in love or they don’t like it at all for whatever reason so they sell it because they want another sound or want a floyd rose or simply because they lose interest in guitar at all.

3- Beginners want to upgrade: No need to explain.

Now, I find Tributes really great guitars, their looks are amazing and their necks are maple, so they should keep very well in tune.

jb_abides

As far as features the order goes: Jr, Special, Studio, Tribute, Standard, Traditional, historic. All good.

FWIW... Was: Jr, Special, Studio, Tribute, CLASSIC, Traditional, Standard, Historic. [Classics rock, too!] :dude:
Now, Original/Modern changes things... :salude

All can be great guitars, welcomed here at LPF.

Bob Womack

My opinion on the reason there are plenty of Tributes floating around? They are the first model going up the LP line that has all the basics of "Les Paul-ism." When Fender guys want to try out a Les Paul for the first time, I get the impression that is where most of them typically start. I can't tell you how many posts on Fender boards amount to this:

LES PAULS ARE CRAP!

Well, after thirty years playing a Strat I finally decided to try a Les Paul. I bought the Tribute, thinking I don't have much to loose if I don't like it. I've come to the conclusion that I simply hate 24.75" scale! And why doesn't a Tribute feel like their top of the line models? I dumped it for another Tele. Les Pauls are crap!

I see it over and over.

Bob

musekatcher

Why are there so many LP Tributes for sale in the used market? When I search for left handed LPs on Ebay or Reverb, a large perecentage of them seem to be Tributes from 2016-2018. When the used market gets flooded with a specific type, makes me want to stay away. Thoughts?

This is an easy one. Gibson has traditionally NOT produced left handed models as standard offerings. But they acquiesce, and occasionally will make a run, such as in 2012 and 2013. Those were Tribute models. They made some lefty Tribute batches again in 2016-2018. So there's your correlation to the Tributes. Its much harder to find a Custom or other model, because they don't mass produce those, and much harder to find a lefty in the years between. Another example are lefty telecasters. There are a ton of Affinity BSBs for sale, both new old stock and used. Because Fender made a million of them in those specific years, and they didn't all sell.

Windup 43

I have an ‘02 Standard and an R8, but my P90 Tribute still gets ample play time...it’s not as refined feeling as the other two, but it plays very well and sounds great. Willing to bet there were many more of these made and always others looking to upgrade or get out of the game completely as some have already mentioned. I paid $799 new for my ‘16 Tribute which was an excellent buy, love the guitar and no plans to get rid of it...fills a much needed niche for me.

thinlizzy1

The way that I look at it, is that most people who bought were either beginners or did not really know what they were buying. The 2016 had 490R/490T pick-ups. Some players new or not did not realize that 490T's have a more mellow sound and they were not happy that they did not have as much power during there solo's or when they used that pick-up. My first real Gibson Les Paul was a 2003 Les Paul Faded Special and I still have it and love playing it. A lot of people sold there's because it was not what they expected or really was not what they wanted, but it was all they could afford.

Les Paul Special.jpg

Truss Rob

Don't understand English? Wilko didn't say they were built the same, the point is that Gibson's entry level guitars are built to a standard that stands the test of time. Even the lowly bottom of the line tend to be well made and play and perform at pro levels.

For all your bluster it seems you know little about any of these guitars or their construction. Jr - simple slab body, simple box neck joint, fatal flaw in the pre 57 simple bar bridge/pickup location and too short stud bushings, simple electronics and single pickup.

I know. I've owned over two dozen and toured for over 20 years with my favourite, a 57.

Tribute- mahogany body w/bookmatched carved maple top, mortise and tenon neck joint, stop tail and tune a matic bridge, two pickups with 3 way switching and individual volume and tone controls.

Don't chest thump your Jr as better made or anything other than it is and don't try to twist the intent of a post so you can brag on your, ooooo it's a 50's, 'cause a lot of us been done dat and know better. You knew exactly what that post was about.

I'm going to chime in and agree here as I bought one as a daily driver and it hangs on the wall in my home office.. and my assessment , after picking it up used from a college kid who played it a dozen times and dumped it for whatever he needed the money for .. 2017, mint condition, $600 . Very well built, no binding or neck binding , 490s neck and bridge, feels fantastic, had it set up to my specs from my luthier... and for what it is , whether it's entry level, somebody not sure if they are in the Gibson franchise for life, or whatever the case, I will totally agree here and say you're dead spot on: "well made and play to perform.." And as many have said, if you can get one for a good value, have at it . But no way am I going to start comparing it to anything . I think even at what they retailed for originally.. was a great value .

high_lander

Why are there so many LP Tributes for sale in the used market? When I search for left handed LPs on Ebay or Reverb, a large perecentage of them seem to be Tributes from 2016-2018. When the used market gets flooded with a specific type, makes me want to stay away. Thoughts?

I was looking at the lefty Tributes, but got a good deal on a new 2018 Studio, which has 57 Classics and a bound neck. Otherwise a tribute would be a good platform for mods etc. Us Lefties can't too choosy, lol.

Good luck in your search, man.

Big Al

All the dudes want to upgrade to a LP Standard...sometimes the cheaper model doesn't do the job....:dude:​

No. ALL the dudes do not. Some may, but many find much to enjoy about their Gibson Studio Les Pauls and use them for what they are. Well crafted, pro quality US made Les Pauls. Some give up, some upgrade, some change brands there're many reasons. They are fine guitars. ALL the dudes have their own reasons for what they do, it ain't universe.

zombiwoof

Don't understand English? Wilko didn't say they were built the same, the point is that Gibson's entry level guitars are built to a standard that stands the test of time. Even the lowly bottom of the line tend to be well made and play and perform at pro levels.

For all your bluster it seems you know little about any of these guitars or their construction. Jr - simple slab body, simple box neck joint, fatal flaw in the pre 57 simple bar bridge/pickup location and too short stud bushings, simple electronics and single pickup.

I know. I've owned over two dozen and toured for over 20 years with my favourite, a 57.

Tribute- mahogany body w/bookmatched carved maple top, mortise and tenon neck joint, stop tail and tune a matic bridge, two pickups with 3 way switching and individual volume and tone controls.

Don't chest thump your Jr as better made or anything other than it is and don't try to twist the intent of a post so you can brag on your, ooooo it's a 50's, 'cause a lot of us been done dat and know better. You knew exactly what that post was about.
Just a small correction here, sometime in '56 they corrected the short stud bushing problem and fixed the "post lean" that happens with the short bushings. I had a '56 Junior that had the longer bushings and had no post lean, it was a great Junior and had the best P90 I ever heard.
Al

Big Al

Just a small correction here, sometime in '56 they corrected the short stud bushing problem and fixed the "post lean" that happens with the short bushings. I had a '56 Junior that had the longer bushings and had no post lean, it was a great Junior and had the best P90 I ever heard.
Al

You are correct. As a long time Jr nut I found this out when I found my 57. Worse thing isn't the post lean as much as the wood split into the pickup cavity on the treble side, sometimes causing a chunk of wood from the post hole to cavity to pop out! I was born in 55 so I had several, all with the lean, 2 had split and the one with the wedge chunk that popped out. The 57 was so much better, and IMO, moving the pickup farther away and employing longer stud bushings not only made a more stable guitar but a better sounding one!!

I love Jrs and Melody Makers but the Studio has a much more complicated build more similar to a Standard.
I was mainly reacting to the notion posted that his Jr had a superior build which is not true.

Trans-Am

They are inexpensive, entry level Les Pauls made in the thousands. Do the math. Lots of cheap guitars equals lots of cheap used guitars, a bounty for budget minded buyers. Easy availability doesn' imply defect or problems.

It would be safe to say it would fit the bill between the STUDIO > Tribute > STANDARD:hank

C-4

Interesting read, this thread.
I have Custom Shop Gibson guitars, but bought a 2019 Tribute recently, specifically to use for out door venues, and band practices, so I don't have to bring how the R's in either hot, or inclement weather.

First time in many years I had to run the racks, and actually enjoyed it. I was willing to go as high as $1,700 for a Studio, if need be, but from all the LP's I tried out, a Tribute with a dot fret board was the best of the bunch.

Funny enough, it's replacing a Tele. It set up as well as my R9's do, so I have no complaint.
I haven't bought a USA Production Gibson in decades, but for what the guitar represents against the rest of the Gibson LP line, I'm satisfied. I know I didn't have to settle for a LP that was only "close".