• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Why so many LP Tributes in the used market

jcoats

Why are there so many LP Tributes for sale in the used market? When I search for left handed LPs on Ebay or Reverb, a large perecentage of them seem to be Tributes from 2016-2018. When the used market gets flooded with a specific type, makes me want to stay away. Thoughts?

cincyguitar

All the dudes want to upgrade to a LP Standard...sometimes the cheaper model doesn't do the job....:dude:

Big Al

They are inexpensive, entry level Les Pauls made in the thousands. Do the math. Lots of cheap guitars equals lots of cheap used guitars, a bounty for budget minded buyers. Easy availability doesn' imply defect or problems.

sonar

Cincy and Al pretty much sum it up - supply & demand, plus the possible allure of a Traditional/Standard.

Reminiscent of the Studio's from the 90's, as Gibson made a bunch. Some Studio's were pretty cool guitars, but never fully satisfied the itch for some players.

Big Al

Don't forget those that just can't get it together, or keep it together and give up guitar. Gotta buy that new skateboard or Xbox.

musekatcher

Don't forget those that just can't get it together, or keep it together and give up guitar. Gotta buy that new skateboard or Xbox.

I think that's it. The Tribute buyer is a fair weather buyer, and likely a first time buyer. They sold new for 7-800 bucks. Easy come, easy go. The Standard and Custom buyer is a more serious buyer. Its likely not their first guitar. PLUS, the Tributes I'm seeing on Ebay are way overpriced, $900 and up used. MF SDOTD just yesterday was selling Gibson SG's Specials NEW for $500, $550, and $599. They have some Les Paul's right now for $649. No lefties though ;(

metropolis

There's a huge number in the UK market too. My assumption has been it's someone's first 'Les Paul' and they either don't like it or quickly move up to a proper one.

Seahawk

I have a 2018 goldtop tribute it is my first Les Paul (was a pointy guitar "BC RICH" and superstrat "Jackson, Ibanez guy) and I love it. Won't get rid of it, love the sustain, pickups, most of all feel. I cannot afford a standard, new or used. and the tribute was right at my price point. :)

Just my thought on the tributes

Big Al

I have a 2018 goldtop tribute it is my first Les Paul (was a pointy guitar "BC RICH" and superstrat "Jackson, Ibanez guy) and I love it. Won't get rid of it, love the sustain, pickups, most of all feel. I cannot afford a standard, new or used. and the tribute was right at my price point. :)

Just my thought on the tributes

No one is implying that they are not good guitars.

Seahawk

Nor did I make that conclusion, I was trying to respond to the OP comment

"makes me want to stay away. Thoughts?"

RNELEE

I bought mine to have knock around player rather than schleping my R8. I have friends come over and hand them the Tribute. I leave it on a music stand. It's a good all around guitar....To say they are great guitars is a bit of a stretch. But, if you can get one used for the right price they are a good sturdy Les Paul. Mine is not for sale.

GS37

I bought mine to have knock around player rather than schleping my R8. I have friends come over and hand them the Tribute. I leave it on a music stand. It's a good all around guitar....To say they are great guitars is a bit of a stretch. But, if you can get one used for the right price they are a good sturdy Les Paul. Mine is not for sale.

When your friends play your Tribute, what do they say? Feels great, or not? Sounds great, or not? I like it, or not so much?

Big Al

When your friends play your Tribute, what do they say? Feels great, or not? Sounds great, or not? I like it, or not so much?

WTF! :bigal Looking for a guitar or validation? You want a show pony buck up and buy a Custom Shop Super Deluxe Envy Edition complete with affidavits of pre approved oooh's and aaah's.

or

Find a nice affordable and much more common and available, (the only lefty LP made in large batches), Tribute. A low cost less dressed up but well made and all Les Paul. As has been repeated many times in this thread. Do a search, there are many threads, want one, buy one. Want something else, buy that.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
The tributes are fine guitars/ They feel, play and sound the same as "proper" Les paul Standard.

A lot people seem to forget that the rank on the pecking means nothing. Look how many pros used/still use the Les Paul Jr. or Les Paul Special. A Les Paul Tribute is "more guitar" than those models!

:salude:salude

Musicman

As been said there's more of them and most people can afford them. Mine gets played almost as much as my R7 and sounds like a LP should.

The tributes are fine guitars/ They feel, play and sound the same as "proper" Les paul Standard.

A lot people seem to forget that the rank on the pecking means nothing. Look how many pros used/still use the Les Paul Jr. or Les Paul Special. A Les Paul Tribute is "more guitar" than those models!

:salude:salude

I disagree. I have 56 LP junior and it’s nothing like a tribute. It’s solid mahogany with a Brazil board and an absolutely killer P90. The build of a tribute is no comparison at all to a vintage JR or Special. In the 50s, cheaper meant no binding, no maple cap not cheaper build or materials like today. You’re kidding yourself if you think a modern era tribute is built to the same standard as a vintage junior. My guitar is 63 years old and was not a closet queen. It still roars.

Big Al

I disagree. I have 56 LP junior and it’s nothing like a tribute. It’s solid mahogany with a Brazil board and an absolutely killer P90. The build of a tribute is no comparison at all to a vintage JR or Special. In the 50s, cheaper meant no binding, no maple cap not cheaper build or materials like today. You’re kidding yourself if you think a modern era tribute is built to the same standard as a vintage junior. My guitar is 63 years old and was not a closet queen. It still roars.

Don't understand English? Wilko didn't say they were built the same, the point is that Gibson's entry level guitars are built to a standard that stands the test of time. Even the lowly bottom of the line tend to be well made and play and perform at pro levels.

For all your bluster it seems you know little about any of these guitars or their construction. Jr - simple slab body, simple box neck joint, fatal flaw in the pre 57 simple bar bridge/pickup location and too short stud bushings, simple electronics and single pickup.

I know. I've owned over two dozen and toured for over 20 years with my favourite, a 57.

Tribute- mahogany body w/bookmatched carved maple top, mortise and tenon neck joint, stop tail and tune a matic bridge, two pickups with 3 way switching and individual volume and tone controls.

Don't chest thump your Jr as better made or anything other than it is and don't try to twist the intent of a post so you can brag on your, ooooo it's a 50's, 'cause a lot of us been done dat and know better. You knew exactly what that post was about.

deytookerjaabs

So, by your reasoning stay away from American Standard/Special Strats/Teles, USA G&L's, entry level Gibsons, and other affordable US made guitars sold in abundance. Eh, I dunno 'bout that.

But damn, you can't even discuss a 3 figure Tribute model here without an "old growth and brazilian" proponent chiming in? :laugh2:

NO ONE IS SAFE!!!!!!!!

Don't understand English? Wilko didn't say they were built the same, the point is that Gibson's entry level guitars are built to a standard that stands the test of time. Even the lowly bottom of the line tend to be well made and play and perform at pro levels.

For all your bluster it seems you know little about any of these guitars or their construction. Jr - simple slab body, simple box neck joint, fatal flaw in the pre 57 simple bar bridge/pickup location and too short stud bushings, simple electronics and single pickup.

I know. I've owned over two dozen and toured for over 20 years with my favourite, a 57.

Tribute- mahogany body w/bookmatched carved maple top, mortise and tenon neck joint, stop tail and tune a matic bridge, two pickups with 3 way switching and individual volume and tone controls.

Don't chest thump your Jr as better made or anything other than it is and don't try to twist the intent of a post so you can brag on your, ooooo it's a 50's, 'cause a lot of us been done dat and know better. You knew exactly what that post was about.

Dude, you’re the one with the bluster.....and always. That is comical. You obviously have no sense of awareness. Your so arongant with so many posts. Also, I disagreed with the posters comment. I’m not a tribute fan.....If you do good for you. Sure, the tribute will stand the test of time. I’m getting it.

So, by your reasoning stay away from American Standard/Special Strats/Teles, USA G&L's, entry level Gibsons, and other affordable US made guitars sold in abundance. Eh, I dunno 'bout that.

But damn, you can't even discuss a 3 figure Tribute model here without an "old growth and brazilian" proponent chiming in? :laugh2:

NO ONE IS SAFE!!!!!!!!

With your pretzel logic....I agree “no one is safe!’ You made up all those ridiculous comparisons all by yourself. Very good. You forgot one thing genius, that is the poster compared the tribute to the LPJR.....not me. No other brands or models were mentioned in my reply. I simply commented why I disagreed.