The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Why so many LP Tributes in the used market

Why are there so many LP Tributes for sale in the used market? When I search for left handed LPs on Ebay or Reverb, a large perecentage of them seem to be Tributes from 2016-2018. When the used market gets flooded with a specific type, makes me want to stay away. Thoughts?

Les Paul Forum Member cincyguitar's Avatar

Re: Why so many LP Tributes in the used market

All the dudes want to upgrade to a LP Standard...sometimes the cheaper model doesn't do the job....

They are inexpensive, entry level Les Pauls made in the thousands. Do the math. Lots of cheap guitars equals lots of cheap used guitars, a bounty for budget minded buyers. Easy availability doesn' imply defect or problems.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Cincy and Al pretty much sum it up - supply & demand, plus the possible allure of a Traditional/Standard.

Reminiscent of the Studio's from the 90's, as Gibson made a bunch. Some Studio's were pretty cool guitars, but never fully satisfied the itch for some players.

Don't forget those that just can't get it together, or keep it together and give up guitar. Gotta buy that new skateboard or Xbox.

Les Paul Forum Member musekatcher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Don't forget those that just can't get it together, or keep it together and give up guitar. Gotta buy that new skateboard or Xbox.
    I think that's it. The Tribute buyer is a fair weather buyer, and likely a first time buyer. They sold new for 7-800 bucks. Easy come, easy go. The Standard and Custom buyer is a more serious buyer. Its likely not their first guitar. PLUS, the Tributes I'm seeing on Ebay are way overpriced, $900 and up used. MF SDOTD just yesterday was selling Gibson SG's Specials NEW for $500, $550, and $599. They have some Les Paul's right now for $649. No lefties though ;(

There's a huge number in the UK market too. My assumption has been it's someone's first 'Les Paul' and they either don't like it or quickly move up to a proper one.

I have a 2018 goldtop tribute it is my first Les Paul (was a pointy guitar "BC RICH" and superstrat "Jackson, Ibanez guy) and I love it. Won't get rid of it, love the sustain, pickups, most of all feel. I cannot afford a standard, new or used. and the tribute was right at my price point.

Just my thought on the tributes

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
    I have a 2018 goldtop tribute it is my first Les Paul (was a pointy guitar "BC RICH" and superstrat "Jackson, Ibanez guy) and I love it. Won't get rid of it, love the sustain, pickups, most of all feel. I cannot afford a standard, new or used. and the tribute was right at my price point.

Just my thought on the tributes
    No one is implying that they are not good guitars.

Nor did I make that conclusion, I was trying to respond to the OP comment

"makes me want to stay away. Thoughts?"

Les Paul Forum Member

I bought mine to have knock around player rather than schleping my R8. I have friends come over and hand them the Tribute. I leave it on a music stand. It's a good all around guitar....To say they are great guitars is a bit of a stretch. But, if you can get one used for the right price they are a good sturdy Les Paul. Mine is not for sale.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RNELEE View Post
    I bought mine to have knock around player rather than schleping my R8. I have friends come over and hand them the Tribute. I leave it on a music stand. It's a good all around guitar....To say they are great guitars is a bit of a stretch. But, if you can get one used for the right price they are a good sturdy Les Paul. Mine is not for sale.
    When your friends play your Tribute, what do they say? Feels great, or not? Sounds great, or not? I like it, or not so much?

Quote Originally Posted by GS37 View Post
    When your friends play your Tribute, what do they say? Feels great, or not? Sounds great, or not? I like it, or not so much?
    WTF! Looking for a guitar or validation? You want a show pony buck up and buy a Custom Shop Super Deluxe Envy Edition complete with affidavits of pre approved oooh's and aaah's.

or

Find a nice affordable and much more common and available, (the only lefty LP made in large batches), Tribute. A low cost less dressed up but well made and all Les Paul. As has been repeated many times in this thread. Do a search, there are many threads, want one, buy one. Want something else, buy that.

All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

The tributes are fine guitars/ They feel, play and sound the same as "proper" Les paul Standard.

A lot people seem to forget that the rank on the pecking means nothing. Look how many pros used/still use the Les Paul Jr. or Les Paul Special. A Les Paul Tribute is "more guitar" than those models!

As been said there's more of them and most people can afford them. Mine gets played almost as much as my R7 and sounds like a LP should.

Les Paul Forum Member Deep Purple Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    The tributes are fine guitars/ They feel, play and sound the same as "proper" Les paul Standard.

A lot people seem to forget that the rank on the pecking means nothing. Look how many pros used/still use the Les Paul Jr. or Les Paul Special. A Les Paul Tribute is "more guitar" than those models!

I disagree. I have 56 LP junior and itís nothing like a tribute. Itís solid mahogany with a Brazil board and an absolutely killer P90. The build of a tribute is no comparison at all to a vintage JR or Special. In the 50s, cheaper meant no binding, no maple cap not cheaper build or materials like today. Youíre kidding yourself if you think a modern era tribute is built to the same standard as a vintage junior. My guitar is 63 years old and was not a closet queen. It still roars.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Purple Fan View Post
    I disagree. I have 56 LP junior and itís nothing like a tribute. Itís solid mahogany with a Brazil board and an absolutely killer P90. The build of a tribute is no comparison at all to a vintage JR or Special. In the 50s, cheaper meant no binding, no maple cap not cheaper build or materials like today. Youíre kidding yourself if you think a modern era tribute is built to the same standard as a vintage junior. My guitar is 63 years old and was not a closet queen. It still roars.
    Don't understand English? Wilko didn't say they were built the same, the point is that Gibson's entry level guitars are built to a standard that stands the test of time. Even the lowly bottom of the line tend to be well made and play and perform at pro levels.

For all your bluster it seems you know little about any of these guitars or their construction. Jr - simple slab body, simple box neck joint, fatal flaw in the pre 57 simple bar bridge/pickup location and too short stud bushings, simple electronics and single pickup.

I know. I've owned over two dozen and toured for over 20 years with my favourite, a 57.

Tribute- mahogany body w/bookmatched carved maple top, mortise and tenon neck joint, stop tail and tune a matic bridge, two pickups with 3 way switching and individual volume and tone controls.

Don't chest thump your Jr as better made or anything other than it is and don't try to twist the intent of a post so you can brag on your, ooooo it's a 50's, 'cause a lot of us been done dat and know better. You knew exactly what that post was about.

Les Paul Forum Member deytookerjaabs's Avatar

So, by your reasoning stay away from American Standard/Special Strats/Teles, USA G&L's, entry level Gibsons, and other affordable US made guitars sold in abundance. Eh, I dunno 'bout that.

But damn, you can't even discuss a 3 figure Tribute model here without an "old growth and brazilian" proponent chiming in?

NO ONE IS SAFE!!!!!!!!

Don't understand English? Wilko didn't say they were built the same, the point is that Gibson's entry level guitars are built to a standard that stands the test of time. Even the lowly bottom of the line tend to be well made and play and perform at pro levels.

For all your bluster it seems you know little about any of these guitars or their construction. Jr - simple slab body, simple box neck joint, fatal flaw in the pre 57 simple bar bridge/pickup location and too short stud bushings, simple electronics and single pickup.

I know. I've owned over two dozen and toured for over 20 years with my favourite, a 57.

Tribute- mahogany body w/bookmatched carved maple top, mortise and tenon neck joint, stop tail and tune a matic bridge, two pickups with 3 way switching and individual volume and tone controls.

Don't chest thump your Jr as better made or anything other than it is and don't try to twist the intent of a post so you can brag on your, ooooo it's a 50's, 'cause a lot of us been done dat and know better. You knew exactly what that post was about.
    Dude, youíre the one with the bluster.....and always. That is comical. You obviously have no sense of awareness. Your so arongant with so many posts. Also, I disagreed with the posters comment. Iím not a tribute fan.....If you do good for you. Sure, the tribute will stand the test of time. Iím getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
    So, by your reasoning stay away from American Standard/Special Strats/Teles, USA G&L's, entry level Gibsons, and other affordable US made guitars sold in abundance. Eh, I dunno 'bout that.

But damn, you can't even discuss a 3 figure Tribute model here without an "old growth and brazilian" proponent chiming in?

NO ONE IS SAFE!!!!!!!!
    With your pretzel logic....I agree ďno one is safe!í You made up all those ridiculous comparisons all by yourself. Very good. You forgot one thing genius, that is the poster compared the tribute to the LPJR.....not me. No other brands or models were mentioned in my reply. I simply commented why I disagreed.

... and still, you show how little you know.

All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

I didn't compare the models. You guys have no reading comprehension.

I was pointing out that in heirarchy, "lesser end models" can be great, so don't overlook a tribute as any less. That's all.

I'm keenly aware that a Les Paul Jr is a special animal. Big Al understood my post.

As far as features the order goes: Jr, Special, Studio, Tribute, Standard, Traditional, historic. All good.

This is the main reason I donít participate much in this forum. Everything turns into a fight. Iím done!

Hi All,

How many 2018 Les Paul Tribute owners got the switch washer in the case? The web site say switch washer "Not Mounted". Mine doesn't include it.

Cheers.

Les Paul Forum Member

Thereís nothing wrong with Tributes, youíll find a lot because of three main things:

1- Massive construction: is an easier and faster to make model. Finish can be done prettymuch ďon the flyĒ.

2- Beginners buy it: it is a model directed for starters that like vintage looks and think that like vintage sounds and specs. When they buy them itís their moment of truth and they fall in love or they donít like it at all for whatever reason so they sell it because they want another sound or want a floyd rose or simply because they lose interest in guitar at all.

3- Beginners want to upgrade: No need to explain.

Now, I find Tributes really great guitars, their looks are amazing and their necks are maple, so they should keep very well in tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    As far as features the order goes: Jr, Special, Studio, Tribute, Standard, Traditional, historic. All good.
    FWIW... Was: Jr, Special, Studio, Tribute, CLASSIC, Traditional, Standard, Historic. [Classics rock, too!]
    Now, Original/Modern changes things...

All can be great guitars, welcomed here at LPF.

Les Paul Forum Member Bob Womack's Avatar

My opinion on the reason there are plenty of Tributes floating around? They are the first model going up the LP line that has all the basics of "Les Paul-ism." When Fender guys want to try out a Les Paul for the first time, I get the impression that is where most of them typically start. I can't tell you how many posts on Fender boards amount to this:

LES PAULS ARE CRAP!

Well, after thirty years playing a Strat I finally decided to try a Les Paul. I bought the Tribute, thinking I don't have much to loose if I don't like it. I've come to the conclusion that I simply hate 24.75" scale! And why doesn't a Tribute feel like their top of the line models? I dumped it for another Tele. Les Pauls are crap!

I see it over and over.

Bob
    "It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
    Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

My little site:
    THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

Les Paul Forum Member musekatcher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jcoats View Post
    Why are there so many LP Tributes for sale in the used market? When I search for left handed LPs on Ebay or Reverb, a large perecentage of them seem to be Tributes from 2016-2018. When the used market gets flooded with a specific type, makes me want to stay away. Thoughts?
    This is an easy one. Gibson has traditionally NOT produced left handed models as standard offerings. But they acquiesce, and occasionally will make a run, such as in 2012 and 2013. Those were Tribute models. They made some lefty Tribute batches again in 2016-2018. So there's your correlation to the Tributes. Its much harder to find a Custom or other model, because they don't mass produce those, and much harder to find a lefty in the years between. Another example are lefty telecasters. There are a ton of Affinity BSBs for sale, both new old stock and used. Because Fender made a million of them in those specific years, and they didn't all sell.

Les Paul Forum Member duaneflowers's Avatar
    Behind a badass Lester somewhere in Japan

definitely a gateway drug...
    Tone To The Bone!
    LP=[(CC*8)+(Sig*5)+(R9*2)+R8+R7+R6+(R4*2)+(50sT*2)+Stu D+LPX]+[(EpI*19)+(EsP/Ed*6)+(ToKi*3)+(Ba*3)+(Fe/Bu*2)+(ObG)+(CMS)]

I have an Ď02 Standard and an R8, but my P90 Tribute still gets ample play time...itís not as refined feeling as the other two, but it plays very well and sounds great. Willing to bet there were many more of these made and always others looking to upgrade or get out of the game completely as some have already mentioned. I paid $799 new for my Ď16 Tribute which was an excellent buy, love the guitar and no plans to get rid of it...fills a much needed niche for me.

Les Paul Forum Member thinlizzy1's Avatar

The way that I look at it, is that most people who bought were either beginners or did not really know what they were buying. The 2016 had 490R/490T pick-ups. Some players new or not did not realize that 490T's have a more mellow sound and they were not happy that they did not have as much power during there solo's or when they used that pick-up. My first real Gibson Les Paul was a 2003 Les Paul Faded Special and I still have it and love playing it. A lot of people sold there's because it was not what they expected or really was not what they wanted, but it was all they could afford.

Les Paul Special.jpg

2016 Gibson Custom Shop Standard Historic Reissue 1957 Les Paul Goldtop Antique Gold VOS
    2006 Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany
    2003 Gibson Les Paul Special Faded with Humbuckers
    1939 Gibson L-7
    2002 Epiphone Les Paul Standard
    2003 Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special with Humbucker
    1979 Fender American Stratocaster
    2010 Dean Michael Schenker Standard
    2002 Yamaha EG112

Les Paul Forum Member Truss Rob's Avatar

I'm going to chime in and agree here as I bought one as a daily driver and it hangs on the wall in my home office.. and my assessment , after picking it up used from a college kid who played it a dozen times and dumped it for whatever he needed the money for .. 2017, mint condition, $600 . Very well built, no binding or neck binding , 490s neck and bridge, feels fantastic, had it set up to my specs from my luthier... and for what it is , whether it's entry level, somebody not sure if they are in the Gibson franchise for life, or whatever the case, I will totally agree here and say you're dead spot on: "well made and play to perform.." And as many have said, if you can get one for a good value, have at it . But no way am I going to start comparing it to anything . I think even at what they retailed for originally.. was a great value .

Quote Originally Posted by jcoats View Post
    I was looking at the lefty Tributes, but got a good deal on a new 2018 Studio, which has 57 Classics and a bound neck. Otherwise a tribute would be a good platform for mods etc. Us Lefties can't too choosy, lol.

Good luck in your search, man.

They are inexpensive, entry level Les Pauls made in the thousands. Do the math. Lots of cheap guitars equals lots of cheap used guitars, a bounty for budget minded buyers. Easy availability doesn' imply defect or problems.
    All the dudes want to upgrade to a LP Standard...sometimes the cheaper model doesn't do the job....

Last edited by CHAIRYTA; 06-10-19 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CHAIRYTA View Post

No. ALL the dudes do not. Some may, but many find much to enjoy about their Gibson Studio Les Pauls and use them for what they are. Well crafted, pro quality US made Les Pauls. Some give up, some upgrade, some change brands there're many reasons. They are fine guitars. ALL the dudes have their own reasons for what they do, it ain't universe.

Les Paul Forum Member

Just a small correction here, sometime in '56 they corrected the short stud bushing problem and fixed the "post lean" that happens with the short bushings. I had a '56 Junior that had the longer bushings and had no post lean, it was a great Junior and had the best P90 I ever heard.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by zombiwoof View Post
    Just a small correction here, sometime in '56 they corrected the short stud bushing problem and fixed the "post lean" that happens with the short bushings. I had a '56 Junior that had the longer bushings and had no post lean, it was a great Junior and had the best P90 I ever heard.
    Al
    You are correct. As a long time Jr nut I found this out when I found my 57. Worse thing isn't the post lean as much as the wood split into the pickup cavity on the treble side, sometimes causing a chunk of wood from the post hole to cavity to pop out! I was born in 55 so I had several, all with the lean, 2 had split and the one with the wedge chunk that popped out. The 57 was so much better, and IMO, moving the pickup farther away and employing longer stud bushings not only made a more stable guitar but a better sounding one!!

I love Jrs and Melody Makers but the Studio has a much more complicated build more similar to a Standard.
    I was mainly reacting to the notion posted that his Jr had a superior build which is not true.

It would be safe to say it would fit the bill between the STUDIO > Tribute > STANDARD
    Old WOOD Is Good WOOD !!!