• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Picks/plectrums

JohnnyGringo

You will probably all find this to be unusual, at best, but I switched to 2mm Jazz-sized picks several years ago and I love them! I've run the gamut over the last 48 years, and I have to say, I LOVE these!

Tim

Currently using a Blue Chip TP48 for acoustic and a TD35 on electric. They're not cheap but are warm and clear. Also last forever, the danger is losing it.

shrews824

I carry a variety of picks with me at all times. I love different styles of picks and enjoy how each sound just a touch different. I have always favored the heavier gauge I must say. My favorite pick at the moment is the Hense Happy Turtle.

guitarpicks3.jpg

lns

I used to play an Ultex, now I'm on .73 or .88 Dunlop Primetone's. Same ballpark as ultex but a little different bite/attack with texture dots for amazing grip even when you're sweating.
I recommend everyone to buy a couple of those. They’re probably the best picks I’ve used. Specifically the Primetone Jazz III XL 0.073

i recently got 2 expensive Hawk tonebird picks (J3 & J3XL shapes) made out of Casein, which is supposed to be the material that most resemble genuine tortoise shell.
The new Dunlop Flow 0.073 is also good, but not as effortless as the primetone J3 XL’s & the Petrucci Flow 2.0 is the fastest playing but thicker picks doesn’t sound as good for rhythm & clean to me.

MichaelDCarter

The thinnest Jazz III I can find. I have an assortment of them. I don't know if I could go back to a "full size" pick, and I'm not planning on finding out.

sonar

Way too absent minded to consider premium picks for a couple bucks a piece. Tortex 72 packs are more my speed.

MDent77

Dunlop ultex sharp 2.0mm for electric. Fender medium picks for acoustic.

Kluson

I like the jazz iii in all its forms, but I did try the Gravity Big Mini and liked them a lot

lns

If you like Dunlop Jazz III, Jazz III XL & John Petrucci Jazz III I highly recommend trying a Dava Jazz Grip Delrin;
dava-jazz-grip-red-delrin-6-pack-p8756-27738_medium.jpg
It has a great grip & is flexible further away from the tip so it can sound articulate for both for rhythm & lead.

Tonebender

I've been using Herco 75's for about 20 years. Before that it was the blue Tortex (still like those best on a Fender).

TM1

I've used Celluloid picks for decades.the ones I've used for the last 25 years are made by Pyramid Strings and there's a little old man who makes them in his home. He has a wide selection of celluloid material and punches them out and hot stamps them one at a time. Old world quality and craftsmanship! They last a month or three (& I play every day).