The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Thread: Picks/plectrums

Picks/plectrums

I was wondering what everyone is using, don't think it's been discussed in a while. I'm currently using Ultex standard . 88 or 1mm or a Hero Holy Grail for most things but have bought a couple of Chicken picks to have a go with.

Re: Picks/plectrums

I have been using a 0.8 mm stainless Pick Boy for nearly ten years; as long as I never lose it I will never need another pick, ever

I do have a backup supply of Fernandes 0.8 mm stainless, just in case

InTuneGP

Custom made for you.

I used heavy celluloid printed with my custom design. Those guys save your design and can print them up whenever you need them. They are so cool. The heavy weight really gives me control and lets me dig in when I want.

BUT I've been finger picking lately and got more used to the faster finger style.
    The farther you go, the closer you are.

I used to play an Ultex, now I'm on .73 or .88 Dunlop Primetone's. Same ballpark as ultex but a little different bite/attack with texture dots for amazing grip even when you're sweating.

Up until a year ago I'd been using 1mm Dunlop nylons. I then embarked on a pick exploration journey which has been fascinating and worthwhile

Les Paul Forum Member The Shifter's Avatar

Green Dunlop Tortex Sharps.

I tried to quit 'em but I kept coming back.

Sometimes HercoFlex 75's.

Les Paul Forum Member duaneflowers's Avatar
    Behind a badass Lester somewhere in Japan

V-Picks Screamers or Pearlies
    Tone To The Bone!
    LP=[(CC*8)+(Sig*5)+(R9*2)+R8+R7+R6+(R4*2)+(50sT*2)+Stu D+LPX]+[(EpI*19)+(EsP/Ed*6)+(ToKi*3)+(Ba*3)+(Fe/Bu*2)+(ObG)+(CMS)]

Fender 358 extra heavy. These are the little dime size picks.

Dunlop Tortex Standard .88mm. “The green ones.”

They are a constant and superfluous item mixed amongst pocket change.

Uh oh, I've got some Planet Waves heavy celluloid and Dunlop extra heavy celluloid coming now. Decided to have another go at celluloid because I found this and it sounds really good with my R8

All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

Orange Tortex for electrics.

Home made tortoise like materials for acoustic. sourced from ebay jewelry pieces that were very popular tourist items up into the 70s.

Les Paul Forum Member

Been using the Tortex Jazz M3 for years. Started using them when I first started to learn and have used them ever since. Tried other picks and it’s never long before I come back to the Tortex. Probably have enough to last me till I die, but I can never find them when I sit down to play.

I mostly use Dunlop Tortex .73 - the yellow ones.
    I do have a ton of picks that I've accumulated over the years, from extra thin to 3.0 stubbys.
    Over the past couple years I have made more of an exploration into different thicknesses and materials - .2mm carbon fiber, metal, stone, glass, wood, faux-tortoise, and so on and so on. I've determined that within a given stiffness, the materials sound much different on acoustic guitar, slight differences on clean electric, and all but unnoticeable on distorted electric.
    All that said, 'home' is still those Tortex .73s.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    ... the materials sound much different on acoustic guitar...
    I've found that to be very true.

Here's a comparison of two types on a '78 D-28: Two Picks

Hear anything?

Les Paul Forum Member

For electric it’s mostly been classic red Dunlop Jazz iii picks but a few months ago I tried a 1.5 mm Jazz iii tortex. I find the 1.5 gives me an even smoother rounder attack which is what I like. For acoustic I prefer a celluloid with the typical “Fender” shape. Medium or heavy works for me.

Dunlop Jazz III XL
    Les Paul Forum Founder

“It is only through inner peace that we can have true outer freedom.” — Sri Chinmoy

Green .88 Tortex for most things.

Tried the blue 1.0 mm picks, but find them too heavy, in general. They’re great, though, for a dread strung with .013s.

Hotel key cards for me. My son gave me a Pick Punch several years ago.
    I ask for 3 card keys at every hotel stay. Each card makes 4 picks. Medium-hard stiffness in a typical 351 style shape.

I have hundreds of picks now. Picks are pouring out of my gig bag. They are all over the house. I leave a pick debris field behind at every gig....

The punch leaves a sharp, sheared cut to the edge which is perfect for my picking style and the tone I want.

If I drop a pick...no problem...there always another 15-20 within reach.

Quote Originally Posted by toxpert View Post
    Hotel key cards for me. My son gave me a Pick Punch several years ago.
    I ask for 3 card keys at every hotel stay. Each card makes 4 picks. Medium-hard stiffness in a typical 351 style shape.

The punch leaves a sharp, sheared cut to the edge which is perfect for my picking style and the tone I want.

If I drop a pick...no problem...there always another 15-20 within reach.

Hotel key cards? Intriguing... are they generally stiffer than credit cards?

I was also given a Pick Punch for Xmas years ago (think I still have it?) but I don't go through that many expired credit/bank cards to make it worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by toxpert View Post
    I have hundreds of picks now. Picks are pouring out of my gig bag. They are all over the house. I leave a pick debris field behind at every gig....
    Ha!

They end up everywhere! Not only shows and practice, but random friend houses, the office, the CTA L... I actually saw a faded green tortex pick in the parking lot of a hot dog stand I frequent.

Thanks everyone who responded, pick choice is personal and very diverse. I had a eureka moment at my last band rehearsal when I tried a Dunlop Heavy celluloid pick. In contrast to the Fender Heavies I'd previously tried out, the Dunlop lasted the whole rehearsal, felt good on the strings and sounded really, really good.

You will probably all find this to be unusual, at best, but I switched to 2mm Jazz-sized picks several years ago and I love them! I've run the gamut over the last 48 years, and I have to say, I LOVE these!

Les Paul Forum Member

Currently using a Blue Chip TP48 for acoustic and a TD35 on electric. They're not cheap but are warm and clear. Also last forever, the danger is losing it.

Les Paul Forum Member shrews824's Avatar

I carry a variety of picks with me at all times. I love different styles of picks and enjoy how each sound just a touch different. I have always favored the heavier gauge I must say. My favorite pick at the moment is the Hense Happy Turtle.

guitarpicks3.jpg

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thundermtn View Post
    I used to play an Ultex, now I'm on .73 or .88 Dunlop Primetone's. Same ballpark as ultex but a little different bite/attack with texture dots for amazing grip even when you're sweating.
    I recommend everyone to buy a couple of those. They’re probably the best picks I’ve used. Specifically the Primetone Jazz III XL 0.073

i recently got 2 expensive Hawk tonebird picks (J3 & J3XL shapes) made out of Casein, which is supposed to be the material that most resemble genuine tortoise shell.
    The new Dunlop Flow 0.073 is also good, but not as effortless as the primetone J3 XL’s & the Petrucci Flow 2.0 is the fastest playing but thicker picks doesn’t sound as good for rhythm & clean to me.

Les Paul Forum Member MichaelDCarter's Avatar

The thinnest Jazz III I can find. I have an assortment of them. I don't know if I could go back to a "full size" pick, and I'm not planning on finding out.

Way too absent minded to consider premium picks for a couple bucks a piece. Tortex 72 packs are more my speed.

Dunlop ultex sharp 2.0mm for electric. Fender medium picks for acoustic.
    -------
    Michael

I like the jazz iii in all its forms, but I did try the Gravity Big Mini and liked them a lot
    'till the next time..........................