• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Need help with possible Tokai purchase

Chumpy36

I currently have 2013 Traditional after owning an 80's standard back in the day (which I stupidly got rid of). I like the Trad a lot but want to check out some other types of Les Pauls and to be honest, I don't love the chunky neck on the Trad. I obviously heard a lot about Tokais and I'm interested in checking them out. Is it still consensus thinking to stay away from the Chinese ones? What about Korea?

I also saw this ad: https://www.glide-guitar.com/collections/brand-new/products/tokai-ls136f-pleked

As for the Tokai's, what's the lowest level model I should be looking at? I'm handy with a soldering iron and such so could do upgrades as well.

Any other brands I should be checking out?

Thank you!

J

c_wester

The only ones to get are Japan made from 1979-1985.
Stay away from everything else.

Last edited:

duaneflowers

A

True dat...

If you're looking for something more contemporary check out Crews Maniac Sound (the ones with K&T Pups) and Fullertone... some more mighty fine offerings from Japan...

bursty

As far as Tokai LS models, I have a 2000 LS-320 that is nothing to sneeze at.

My 2000 LS-320 has the 'era correct' lumbers of the 1950's Gibson Les Pauls; Acer saccharum, Swietenia macrophylla, and Dalbergia nigra.
The LS-320 also has a long neck tenon.

Vintage Tokai LS examples do NOT have the long neck tenon, nor do they have the 'era correct' lumbers.

The older Tokai LS examples however do have age which is a very good attribute.

I will keep my 19 year vintage LS-320 :ganzand will enjoy it as it ages even more.

As far as other brands I would recommend: Bacchus BLS-59, Bacchus BLP-FM, Crews NEXT 5D, Combat, Momose MLS-STD/J.
Most of these will be difficult to nearly impossible to locate but I can attest to the quality of these.

Happy hunting Chumpy :eek:la

Last edited:

Brem85

I have owned 2 Tokai Les Pauls, both with the serial number starting with C09...a Standard and Custom, my guess is they're both early Chinese or late Korean. I sold the Standard, but I kept the Custom. The seller told me the Custom came from around 1996, but if someone can chime in it might be helpful to clarify the date of building. Anyway the Standard had a pretty skin neck and was tight and bright soudning already noticable unplugged. Sustain was ok, but not special. Something was lacking and it didn't make me feel I played something special. More like an average Epiphone. Now the Custom is a way different animal. Thicker neck, close to a 59 neck, dark rosewood fretboard, amazing build quality, great action and feel and superb sustain. The tone is rich, full, Lively and warm and it rings out clearly with deep, but clear bass tones. I can do anything with it. Great blues and jazz tones. All this is already noticable unplugged. To be honest it was even better than the Gibsons I played next to it. Best Les Paul I've owned so far really. A Tokai Les Paul does not need to be Japanese made. Finding the right one it's all about, but they're out there. Play and feel before buying.