• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1957 LP Goldtop all mahogany

Big Al

I've only played one GT like that but had it's use for several months. I owned a couple of Customs, Specials and a boatload of Jrs. I never found any lacking in hig frequency or brightness. Who claims Jrs or SG's lack highs, electrically or acousticly? GE Smith let me play his all maple Jr and it was definitely no brighter than the typical Jr, but I found the bass tighter and less full or open. My thought was the maple top on the original model was to do just that, tighten the bass and balance the tone on the cleanish 50's stuff on the typically bassier amps back then.

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
Purchased from a well known LPF Member. Rare all mahogany version from late 1957. Had a few minor issues (like Grovers that I replaced with Klusons) which have been addressed. Amazing sound and plays great! It is heavy as an all mahogany guitar, but the sound makes up for it! :dude: I also have a 1957 with P-90s that is an awesome geetar!

57_Goldtop.jpg

There is something about goldtops that is beyond cool.

zombiwoof

I had purchased the oversized adapter bushings, but when I removed the Grovers I found that the routings weren’t enlarged. I used the regular sized bushings - they fit right in. :hank

That is odd. Did they make Grovers that fit in the same size bushing holes as Klusons?. I thought you always had to enlarge the holes from Klusons to install Grovers?.
Al

MikeSlub

Administrator
That is odd. Did they make Grovers that fit in the same size bushing holes as Klusons?. I thought you always had to enlarge the holes from Klusons to install Grovers?.
Al
I’m no expert in Grovers. I just know what I encountered, and the holes weren’t enlarged. :hank

sws1

I had grovers in my burst and only the back half was enlarged. It didn't go all the way through the front, so Kluson bushings still fit.

corpse

Time for a new avatar/footer pic Mike. And if you need help seven seven oh seven one oh three...

agogetr

Silly question, Mike. By reinstalling the Klusons how did you makeup for the larger routing required for the Grovers? Use the oversized adapter bushings or fill the holes back in and re-drill them?

I have a similar situation with my '69 but I would need to enlarge the holes a bit more just to get the adapters to fit in.

Beautiful guitar!!
try using some copper tubing cut into bushings, worked perfect on an old junior i had.

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
I'm a little puzzled why the all mahogany guitars get the rep of being super heavy. Mahogany is actually lighter, per cubic inch, than maple, isn't it? Certainly an all hog special or junior can weigh 6# or less so it's hard to imagine why an all mahogany LP would have to weigh 10#. Dave's all mahogany 57 doesn't seem to be any heavier than the burst hanging next to it, but I haven't weighed it. His sounds great, doesn't take a back seat to any LP I've played (not as many as some of you).

Anyway, Mike, congrats, that's a beautiful and soulful guitar!

J.D.

Mahogany density varies tremendously. Unfortunately this idea that there is a direct correlation between weight and tone has become quite popular.

Would the black Les Paul Custom style plastic also be correct for this guitar? (Nice to see its cream plastic has not been robbed.)

I'm very happy for you, Mike! Hope you enjoy it :jim

MikeSlub

Administrator
I'm a little puzzled why the all mahogany guitars get the rep of being super heavy. Mahogany is actually lighter, per cubic inch, than maple, isn't it? Certainly an all hog special or junior can weigh 6# or less so it's hard to imagine why an all mahogany LP would have to weigh 10#. Dave's all mahogany 57 doesn't seem to be any heavier than the burst hanging next to it, but I haven't weighed it. His sounds great, doesn't take a back seat to any LP I've played (not as many as some of you).

Anyway, Mike, congrats, that's a beautiful and soulful guitar!
I’ve noted that some of the mahogany used in the 50’s isn’t very light. Even my 1957 Goldtop with maple cap and P-90’s weighs 9 lbs. 2 oz. :hank

boogieongtr

I’m no expert in Grovers. I just know what I encountered, and the holes weren’t enlarged. :hank

That means a good luthier with the right type of step bit did the Grover installation the correct way. Most guys drill the hole all the way thru the headstock and loose the ability to switch back to a Kluson if desired. Congrats on the score...!!

agogetr

oh and by the way Awsome score! it looks clean i like th clean 'unreliced' look.
i always wondered if the black customs were less dough because of the magogany? i dont get it. i,ve had a few of those and i lovem. 'the one' was a 55 man it had hot pickups it screamed! my pal got it in a pawnshop in the early nineties pocatelo idaho, traded a 22 pistol and 60 bucks!!!! i kept the receipt to look at sometimes lol i heard the guitar wound up later at gruhns. somebody got a good one. i think they are sleepers on the market in the 20kish range.
another time (in the seventies) i had a 56 from a pawnshop i was playing a big kegger party, this old as dirt dude happened to show up and it had been his guitar in the fifties!!
he had shaved the neck with a broken piece of glass and the decent scratch by the tone knob is where he said his brother threw a glass of wine at him.
sorry i,m rambling...i dont get out much